Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dct Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Ribbed Sweaters Dilema!
    I have a number of really nice sweaters that were ribbed and nice and tight when I first bought them. Since washing them in cold water and air drying them (I thought I was being safe), they are still all losing their tightness. They now are looking like bell-bottom t-shirts. I spent a lot of money on some of these sweaters and would love to restore the tightness that they came with.

Does anyone now how to prevent and restore any sweater from being loosened? I thought I was doing all of the right things, but clearly not.

THANKS
    aschap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 06:36 PM
    There are two things I know of. Try putting in the dryer, but only at the lowest temperature setting and keep an eye on them. If you take them out when they are still a bit damp (after 15 minutes or so depending on the dryer) and air dry them the rest of the way. Make sure when you do air dry them that they are laying flat and not hanging. Hopefully that helps!
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Nov 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Depends on what the sweaters are made of. Most likely, they're doomed already. In the future, I'd dry-clean or wash in cold on super gentle cycle, take them out, re-shape them (button if there are buttons), and lay them flat to dry in a spot that gets a lot of fresh air, but not direct sunlight. I'd personally never put a sweater in the dryer unless it was air-dry only, NO heat, and even then, only cotton, cotton/ramie.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 20, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Sweaters built with a lot of structure are an oxymoron, because a woman's body has enough structure on its own! But I can't blame you, ribbed sweaters are comfy, stylish and look great. I agree with aschap and velvetjones, flat drying is the best way to go. Reshape them and flat dry them after a gentle cycle; flat drying works best because when sweaters are put to air dry on a hanger, they sag at their own weight and it stretches the fibers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1 Tax dilema [ 61 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, I have been following this forum for some time now and I really appreciate all your help and advice. I entered the US in 2002 on an F1. I recently transitioned to an H1 on October 1, 2005. This is the summary of my stay in the US so far: 2002 - Entered US on Dec 27...

Dilema for Bi-bloke [ 16 Answers ]

Where to start... Well, I am (a young!) 50 years old, and I have always known that I am Bi-sexual and have had far more experiences with lads than with girls (but I've never gone more that masturbating/oral) - I have never come out - and am very masculine etc and nobody suspects. I have many...

Pregancy dilema [ 13 Answers ]

All right ladies here's a good one... had my period about the beginning of July.. around the 12th or so... me and the man have done it many time since then.. (raw dog)started feeling nauseous at night hungry all the time.. you know the classic pregnancy symptoms so I thought for sure that I was......

Dilema [ 6 Answers ]

I have very little contact with my bros. And sisters due to a fallout . Now the oldest bro. Calls me asking to help support my mom (78 yrs), who lives off soc. Sec. The thing is she lives w/ dad but their relationship is shot . They"re together out of necessity even though they don't...

Recent Dilema [ 1 Answers ]

All right, I've already made my choice on this, but I want to know what you guys think. My girlfriend and I have been going out for six months now. Prior to that I've like her for a couple years, but she or I had always been with someone else. I lost my virginity to this girl. Recently I had...

View more questions Search