Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 01:57 AM
    A solution to illegal immigrants
    I know this solution is uniquely Australian but we bequeath this to those across the pond who would like to solve the problem in these troubled times.

Foreign workers to be paid local rates

This is reverse psychology at its best, not only will this give them a disincentive to come here, but the thought of paying those immigrants a fair wage will so incense our capitalist types that they will have no choice but to employ all those lay about locals who are waiting for a job, so all the illegals and backpackers will just go home in disgust because they are forced to work at regular wages and compete fairly for jobs and we know they can't do that, don't we?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    all the illegals and backpackers will just go home in disgust because they are forced to work at regular wages and compete fairly for jobs and we know they can't do that, don't we?
    Hello clete:

I don't know what kind of illegals you have down under, but I've never seen a white man who could outwork a Mexican...

excon
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 05:34 AM

Lazy americans do not have a strong work ethic as hard working mexican who is working to support his family.

Does that not say anything about US workers... not just the white ones?
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:00 PM
    White men
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello clete:

I dunno what kind of illegals you have down under, but I've never seen a white man who could outwork a Mexican...

excon
    I don't know what kind of white men you have over there but if the white men didn't do the work here nothing would get done. Our Illegals consist of Pacific Islanders, New Zealanders, European backpackers who have overstayed their visas, various Asians (students or otherwise) who have obtained entry and stayed on, not to mention the boat people (refugees from poor economic circumstance and maybe war) and, of course, the ineveitable Lebanese who congregate in motorcycle gangs.

The layabouts I was referring to are the Aboriginals whose ethos is to take a handout where you can get it
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:21 PM

Hello again, clete:

Two different dynamics at work. The Mexicans come here to work and send money to their families back home.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Dynamics
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, clete:

Two different dynamics at work. The Mexicans come here to work and send money to their families back home.

excon
    Ex I think the Aussie and yankee sense of humour is so different, the difference is as vast as the Pacific which separates us. My post was ironic.

I understand about economic migrants we have them here, but they are not an under class as they are there. People who do itinerant work might be exploited and illegals are exploited by their own people, not by our society in general
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:42 PM
    American workers
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    Lazy americans do not have a strong work ethic as hard working mexican who is working to support his family.

Does that not say anything about US workers....not just the white ones?
    I think it says a lot about american workers that you have exported your industries and yet you still need mexicans to do the work
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I don't know what kind of white men you have over there but if the white men didn't do the work here nothing would get done. Our Illegals consist of Pacific Islanders, New Zealanders, European backpackers who have overstayed their visas, various Asians (students or otherwise) who have obtained entry and stayed on, not to mention the boat people (refugees from poor economic circumstance and maybe war) and, of course, the ineveitable Lebanese who congregate in motorcycle gangs.

The layabouts I was referring to are the Aboriginals whose ethos is to take a handout where you can get it
    Clete,

Have you been to a construction site? In Sydney particularly the vast majority of labour consists of Asian and Eastern Europeans. And they work very very hard for long hours!

But the white man works hard too. Not denying that. Just correcting your assertion that nothing would get done if left to immigrants. Untrue...
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    Clete,

Have you been to a construction site?? In Sydney particularly the vast majority of labour consists of Asian and Eastern Europeans. And they work very very hard for long hours!!

But the white man works hard too. Not denying that. Just correcting your assertion that nothing would get done if left to immigrants. Untrue...
    Yes I have been on a construction site and at that time not an Asian or Eastern European in sight but no shortage of Maori

Didn't suggest that immigrants don't work hard. If you followed the thread you would see where I told ex I was referring to aboriginals when I spoke of local layabouts and when I say white men doing the work europeans and others are included in that, but I was contrasting ex's suggestion that where he comes from the white men don't work(of course, there are black men there but not really here). As you come from here you should know that there aren't many "white men" about, most of us have some sort of tan and are really indistinguishable from one another unless you start looking closely at features or odd forms of dress or listening to the accents. I also doubt that those immigrants are underpaid as is suggested by the original article so the whole thing comes down a little aussie irony
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 8, 2009, 09:52 AM

There are a FEW disincentives that could be used to lower illegal immigration rates.

1) Vigorous prosecution of EMPLOYERS who violate immigration law would eliminate their incentive to give jobs to illegals, thus lowering job availability to illegals.

2) Eliminating illegal immigrants from being able to obtain any and all government programs. This will eliminate MOST of the reason that illegal immigrants come here in the first place. If they didn't get free health care, free education, free food stamps, etc. they wouldn't come here in the first place.

3) Stronger border enforcement. If we make it more difficult and more risky for illegal immigrants to come here, fewer of them would be willing to take the risk.

Part of the incentive for illegals to come here is the fact that it is so easy... no risk, high reward. Take away the reward and increase the risk, and the REASON for coming here in the first place is eliminated.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:06 AM
    As someone who worked my whole life besides immigrants; and worked up the ranks from the bottom with fellow supervisors and managers of all races, I take exception to the broad brush claim that any one "group " can out work another .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    As someone who worked my whole life besides immigrants; and worked up the ranks from the bottom with fellow supervisors and managers of all races, I take exception to the broad brush claim that any one "group " can out work another .
    So who works harder, republicans or liberals?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:11 AM

I'll answer that in the same ironic nature of the question. Clearly liberals work harder . They won didn't they ?

BTW... in Quebec I noticed lots of white people doing jobs that people claims whites won't do. .
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Not sure who claims white people won't do any jobs in Quebec, who are these people claiming this? Not much of race issues there.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:20 AM

Not much of race issues there
    True... rarely saw anyone of color there .
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    True... rarely saw anyone of color there .
    So your previous post was for what reason?? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:28 AM

Because of Excon's comment #2 . How can a city operate without those immigrants doing jobs the whites won't do or are not as efficient at ?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Ah I get it. Thanks.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    So who works harder, republicans or liberals?
    Neither.

They both work hard.

But CONSERVATIVES (not Republicans) work SMARTER.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    But CONSERVATIVES (not Republicans) work SMARTER.
    LOL! Good one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal Immigrants n ILR through deception [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 35 yr old lady, a british citizen, I married this man of a different nationality brought him to the uk to find that his parents are living here illegally who created so much of problems for me and my child until I decided to move away from them as I had come here in uk to start a new life ,...

You.S. Crackdown on illegal immigrants [ 1 Answers ]

Employers Brace for Immigration Rules Email this Story Aug 3, 8:59 AM (ET) By SUZANNE GAMBOA and ANABELLE GARAY WASHINGTON (AP) - Employers across the country may have to fire workers with questionable Social Security numbers to avoid getting snagged in a Bush administration...

Illegal immigrants [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get an illegal immigrant deported. I have already called the INS and gave them all her information. What more can I do?

Illegal Immigrants ability to file charges [ 3 Answers ]

Can an illegal immigrant press charges on a US citizen? We live in PA, a strongly suspected illegal immigrant has pressed false charges. NO ONE has checked his citizenship even though we told them our suspicions? Should we be pursuing this any further? Thanks!

Illegal immigrants checking "i am a us citizen"box when applying for a job [ 1 Answers ]

Another questions and to get anyone's opinion... does anyone know roughly how many illegal people out there check the " I am a US Citizen" box when applying for a job? How often does this happen?

View more questions Search