Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregg240 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Insurance Co wants a Figure$$
    My wife was in back seat, we were hit from behind in traffic maybe at 10-15mph tops, she has been through PT, Chiropractic work, and a rib out of place, minor pain and discomfort, limited work, no exercise etc for 6-8wks. She is done medical treatment and feeling good as before the accident. We are at the point of settling and I'm not sure what to do? The insurance co will be contacting me soon with a "figure", Should I almost laugh off their first offer? ANything I should be doing at this point to get the most money? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time in advance
    Gregg
    wolfboy Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Oct 27, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Make sure you get all medical bills paid for.
    Sometimes you can even have them write up a contract that they will pay any further medical if symptoms recur. But you will have to prove it is from this accident.

Remember you can ask for pain and suffering.
    But do not try to get rich off them or you will run into problems.

My mom had a similar accident and she got 15,000
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2006, 06:41 PM
    You give them a figure that covers all the expenses incurred, include all medical fees, not what you paid but what the doctors charged. If your health insurance covered costs, you will have to reimburse the coverage from the insurance settlement. Include all costs like transportation to and from the doctor etc. Get bills from your doctors, document the mileage and each office visit. Include any loss of income. If you had to pay for someone to clean the house, include that as well. Basically any expenses that were a direct result of the accident

Make sure the settlement doesn't preclude further reimbursement if a relapse occurs.

I would not try to get anything but reimbursement for expense. Pain and suffering are not easy to prove.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 27, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg240
    My wife was in back seat, we were hit from behind in traffic maybe at 10-15mph tops, she has been through PT, Chiropractic work, and a rib out of place, minor pain and discomfort, limited work, no exercise etc for 6-8wks. She is done medical treatment and feeling good as before the accident. We are at the point of settling and I'm not sure what to do?? The insurance co will be contacting me soon with a "figure", Should I almost laugh off their first offer?? ANything I should be doing at this point to get the most money?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks for your time in advance
    Gregg
    Don't settle unless it's been awhile since the injuries, never know but she might have more problems, ask them to take care of the current expenses, med bills, lost wages, etc, and to call you in a few months when you will feel more confident she will have no further medical issues. You didn't say how how ago the accident was, so try to find out if you are approaching the statute of limitations, i.e. some states limit it to a couple of years, after that point the insurance company is off the hook and you have no recourse. Consult an attorney if any doubts, some will listen and not charge a fee but will want a huge chunk of any settlement they might assist you in securing.
    gregg240 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Thanks for your help... I have done most of this... I like the mileage and house cleaning as a direct result, also any future issues... the accident was July 14 06... thakns for any more info
    Gregg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help me figure out this movie [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I saw this film when I was very little and can only remember a few scenes from it. I hope that with what I remember someone can help me figure out what it is. Ok some random info about it before I begin is that it was played by actual people. scenes I remember: There is a girl following a...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Can't figure out song... [ 4 Answers ]

I have this song on a cd. But can't figure out what song it is. It is bothering me sooo much.. All that I wanted was you And more than I cared All that I needed was you And more than we shared You gave me yours Open your doors

Hope somebody can figure this out [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Zoro Sword company bonds pay an annual coupon of 9 1/2 %. They have 8 years to maturity and face value, or par, of $1000. Compute the present value of Zoro bonds if investors required rate of return is 10%. a) $950.00 b) $973.33 c) $ 1027.17

Help me figure out this song!please! [ 1 Answers ]

Ahh it's driving me absolutely insane! I heard this song in a restaurant earlier and it's like... a chick singing about a little bit of love or something, and near the end she repeats it over and over but skips this one word, and then the last repeat she says the word, "everything"... and I don't...

View more questions Search