Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kylepfreeman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Can I claim my daughter on taxes, never married to her mother, pay child support
    I pay child support, and from what I pay, I pay about 70% of her costs, and her mother pays 30%, as determined by the court. I have joint custody, and see my daughter a couple times a week, and 2 overnights a month. Do I have a right to claim her on my Taxes at least every other year. I live in NY. Her mother and I were never married. Just want to know if I have a fighting chance if I take it to court.

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:05 PM

Her mother has to agree to it otherwise she can get you for fraud if she doesn't agree to it.

The best thing to do is have each of your returns filled out and rip up the one that profits less. You can agree to give her a percentage of the difference that you get if you do get the better return.
    If she works some and has her for a deduction and is eligible for earned income credit she may be the better one to file.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:50 PM

It depends on what your court papers say. Generally, somewhere in your support order it will say which parent claims the child for tax purposes. Of course if the mother agrees then it will be that much easier to have an every other year claim.
    tsw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Married but had a baby by a married man we have established paternity and he is court ordered to pay child support is my husband still legally liable for my child I live in nc
    jujubees Posts: 161, Reputation: 4

Jul 7, 2012, 01:38 PM
    This happened to my hubby and his ex. They didn't have to go to court because they both agreed to share the children with taxes by him doing it one year and her the next and so on and so on in front of a hearing examiner. Maybe you could ask her about it. If she fights it then yes it would have to go to court if you really want to do it and that may cost you more than claiming her for taxes.

tsw, If you are asking about your hubby and not the married man you had your child with, your hubby has no rights to the child. Esp since you took him to court for child support & had a paternity test done. The baby's father has right's not your hubby. Sorry

Same with me- my hubby is not my child's birth father, my ex-h is and he has/had rights (she is 18 now) and my hubby being he is her step-father has no rights to her at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying child support; daughter does not live with mother [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has joint custody of his 16 year old daughter. He pays child support which is automatically taken out of his paycheck and is deposited into her mother's bank account. The problem is that for almost a year, his daughter has not been living with her mother. The daughter lives with her...

Father paying child support to mother when daughter lives with dad's grandparents [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I don't know what to do he has a 15 year old daughter who lives with my husband's parents, she been living with them since 1994 when child services gave temporary custody to my husbands mom until the mom felt ready to get custody back. My husband didn't have the custody because he...

Is it legal for a mother to claim taxes when child lives with father [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has had custody of his son for two years and each tax year he tries to claim son it says the mother already has. How does he fix this and can he get refunded?

Child support , WHO gets to claim the kids on taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Recently my ex got a job after all these years... WOW, I almost fell over dead... LOL - But enough with that, my question is what kind of rights does she have to claim the kids on her taxes? - She has never worked for 15 years and somehow lands a small, low pay , part time job and then...

Claim my daughter - child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Want To Carry My Daughter On My Income Tax Return,I Pay Child Support And Is And Allways Current. How Do I Find Out Who Is Carrying Her On Their Taxes? Is There A Website I Can Go To And Check?

View more questions Search