Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaM118 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Toilet leaks
    I cannot seem to get my toilet to stop leaking. I have tried putting 2 wax rings down but the problem is the flange sticks too far up out of the floor. What can I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaM118 View Post
    I cannot seem to get my toilet to stop leaking. I have tried putting 2 wax rings down but the problem is the flange sticks too far up out of the floor. What can I do?
    Hey Donna,
    I need a few more details. How high does the flange stick up from the floor? What material is it? Does the toilet "rock" a bit when sat upon?
    Are you doing the work yourself? Back to you, Tom
    DonnaM118 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Hey Donna,
    I need a few more details. How high does the flange stick up from the floor? What material is it? Does the toilet "rock" a bit when sat upon?
    Are you doing the work yourself? Back to you, Tom
    It does not rock at all and the flange sticks up about 1 1/2" and is made of cast iron. It is an older home and I was wondering if the flange could be cut off and a different type of flange put down. My boyfriend is doing the work.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2009, 06:55 AM
    OK Donna,
    Here's what I'd do. The flange's cast iron with a lead an d oakum joint. The flange can be lowered down to the floor using a hammer and a small block of 2 X 4.
    Pull the toilet and position the block on the flange next to the pipe. Now take your hammer and begain to tap around the pipe. On the block. Don't bang it, tap it down.
    Cast iron's brittle and will break if you whack it too hard. Be gentle!
    Now what to do with the pipe that's sticking up? I take a adjustable wrench (see image) and close it down over the pipe and precede to "nibble" chunks oif the pipe going around the pipe until I have it close to the flange, (a little bit can be left, it don't have to be smooth. And last I take a wide blade screwdriver and recaulk the lead joint. You may now reset the toilet using a new wax seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet leaks around handle [ 7 Answers ]

I have lowered the float and the water will stop. But within a few hours the tank will fill again to the point of leaking. What can I try next?

New toilet leaks around base [ 3 Answers ]

I just finished replacing the floor in a bathroom with tile (previously was vinyl). I added a flange extension to the toilet flange to raise it due to the higher floor height of the tile.\ I have set a brand new toilet twice now and both time it has leaked around the base. When I pull the...

Toilet leaks at handle [ 5 Answers ]

I have the same problem as this guy: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/toilet-leaks-handle-14062.html Can anyone care to help an extreme novice at fixing this?

Toilet leaks [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be? Many thanks, JD

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

View more questions Search