Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bxg-man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
    New York State Increase in Child Support
    Hi Everyone,

My ex & I separated in April 2001. She & I had one child (daughter) plus I had custody of my son from previous marriage. When we separated my son moved out with me and my daughter stayed with her mother thus both of us become single parents. She & I earned more than $80,000 together at that time. She earned about $40k & me, $52k.

I had heard that support for 2 children in NYS was to be expected at 25% so I divided that in half (12.5%) and gave her support of $250 every two weeks. She wanted 17% which was NYS support for 1 child. I was now a single parent & could not afford that much so she took me to court in June 2001. The judge seemed to agree that $250 seemed reasonable given that our combined income was over the $80k threshold that stipulated adherence to the child support income % schedule. As I understood the set % was for income below $80k and above that it was in the judge's discretion After a short discussion with the judge we ended up agreeing to 14%. I had never been late and paid my $250 faithfully from day 1 plus my daughter's medical insurance which I though carried a little wait with the judge plus having to raise my son on my own withoug support from his mother. The $250 increased to $280 and it continued as such until my ex asked me for an increase 3 years later (2004).

I was doing better economically and I offered an increase of $100, my payments where now $380 every two weeks. We didn't go to court and I felt that it was for my daughter so it seemed fair. In 2007 my ex asked for a second increase but my economic situation had not improved so I only could afford $20 increase every two weeks. Now I have been sending her $400 every two weeks from 2007.

In the past I've been used to taking my daughter shopping for cloths and other things she need but with my older son in college and having greater expenses plus economic times being difficult on other fronts I haven't been able to give the daughter the extras.

I fear that my ex will try to take me to court of more increases. What are my rights? What kind of increases is my ex entitled to given the only court order I have is for $280? I’m not looking to decrease my daughter’s child support I just can’t afford any more.

Thank you for you time
    Bxg-man
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 12:39 PM

How old is your son and is he still living under yor roof and going to college ?
    That may make a difference.
    Bxg-man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 06:17 PM

My son is 19 turns 20 in Oct and is away on campus in Boston but his official residence is my home in NYC. I the parent paying his tuition and providing for his needs.

My daughter is 14.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bxg-man View Post
    My son is 19 turns 20 in Oct and is away on campus in Boston but his official residence is my home in NYC. I the parent paying his tuition and providing for his needs.

My daughter is 14.
    In NYS the child support orders run until a child is 21. So in effect you both still have custody of 1 child each. I don't really see an increase from what she is already being given considering the economy is flat right now. Here is one place you can check it online.

New York Child Support Calculator - AllLaw.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYS Child Support increase [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first time to the board so hopefully I do this correctly. I have been divorced since 1999, in that time, I have not had an increase in my child support for my ex's and my 2 boys. Our oldest in now in college and I am paying for his car insurance, phone bill and giving him what money...

New york state child support [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14 year old child with my ex huband. I am in court trying to get a cost of living adjustment(havent had on in 12 years). His attorney is arguing that the order that stands before the court for his other child (younger) should be taking into effect before they give my son his adjustment....

New york state child support [ 15 Answers ]

If I want to file a modification for increased child support in NYS, since I have never had an increase in 9 years. What do I have to list on my paperwork since a money figure was given on the original divorce papers not a percentage of his salary.

Child support increase [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my name is birthageok. My daughter is 20 yrs old at college. I have never missed the child support. But, for the past ten years, my ex didn't ask for the increase on the child support. Now my daughter is at College. I don't have money to pay for all her college expenses on top of the child...

Child support increase [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that I could file for a child support increase online. I was just wondering if anyone new if that was true and if it is, does anyone know where I would go to do that (as in what web site)?

View more questions Search