Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lm1000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2004, 03:18 AM
    Adult cat changed litter tray habits-help!
    Hi

I have had my cat since she was a kitten, she is now anout 1.5 years. She has always been excellent at using her litter tray and 'going' out side until recently. There is a cat that come into the garden that scares her and I understand this might put her off from 'going' in the garden all the time.

The problem is she is not using her litter tray and has wee'd on my bed four times in the past two weeks :'(. She doesn't go anywhere else in the house.

I don't understand why she is doing this, it seems to be only when I am there and I don't know how to stop her.
    Why would she start doing this at her age?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Oct 3, 2004, 07:09 PM
    Re: Adult cat changed litter tray habits-help!
    Hello,

95% of the time, when a cat starts urinating/spraying inappropriately, it is because they have a urinary infection.

Please take your cat to a vet to have her urine tested before this problem gets out of hand.  UTI's are very painful and she's probably trying to tell you there is something wrong by only doing it while you are there.

Take a look at this article at Eukanuba.com on Feline House Soiling for more in-depth information.

Regards,
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Oct 3, 2004, 07:11 PM
    I forgot to ask... Is she spayed? If not, that can be a reason as well...

Regards,
    lm1000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2004, 02:44 AM
    HI

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question she is spayed.

I am relly happy to say that I think I've solved the problem. I got home from work on Friday too late to take her to the vet, but had read up on advice on the internet and bought her some fine grain, non-scented litter and moved her tray into the bathroom, where it is secluded and I imagine feels much safer for her. Before it was downstairs by the cat flap and we were having problems with a neighbourhood cat coming in and scaring her.

Anyway, she watched me get her tray sorted out and then immediately went to the toilet on it. All weekend she has been happily using her tray and there have been no more incidents.

However I will take her to the vet this week for check up anyway.

Thank you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any tips on litter box training an adult cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My kitty saga continues! We are going to try to litter box train the adult cat we took in. I want her to be as adoptable as possible. I put a litter box in her shed but so far she has not used it. The kittens haven't used the paper I put down, but that may be because they are so young. Any...

My cat makes a mess with the litter tray [ 9 Answers ]

I have recently adopted my friends cat as they are moving to spain. I have kept her in for awhile (nearly 2 weeks now) so she can get use to us and her new surrondings, I was told she is litter trained and she does use her tray however she then throws the cat litter ( when I am not looking) all...

Work out habits [ 2 Answers ]

I really miss working out, training my body to be strong I like doing curls and bench pressing I really like working my biceps and triceps the only thing is I don't have time to work out anymore I want to four hour a day school mon- Friday 12:30 to 4:30 and 9:30 to 6 A;m on the days I have to work...

Collie habits [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my collie has just found a dead deer in the woods and he has rolled all over it any info how too get rid of the smell,:mad: :mad: thanks

Cat Not Using litter tray all the time [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a 12 year old Domestic Short haird Female cat who is desexed, she has lived out doors most of her life but now she is living indoors, its been a few months now, anyway I bought her a litter tray. I put the litter tray in the laundry and that is also where she eats but it is not right...

View more questions Search