Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barrelracer2010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Driving right-of-way
    I was in the right turning lane and was preparing to turn right. There was another driver in the suicide or left turning lane and we arrive at the same time. I proceeded to make my right hand turn. The other driver had also began to make his left hand turn and almost ran into the back of my vehicle. There was no yield sign to my right. Which driver had the right of way? Me or the other driver? :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 01:22 PM

Having a hard time picturing what you say, any chance of a diagram. Right of way is given, not taken according to Illinois rules of the road. Where are you?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Sep 4, 2009, 01:32 PM

Times left turning traffic would have the right of way:

* Over traffic arriving from the left at the same or later time to a four or three way stop (both vehicles have stop signs).

* Traffic from the cross street has a red light, stop sign (or flashing red light), or yield sign (or flashing yellow). This right of way only applies over traffic from the cross street.

* The left turning traffic has a protected green (left turn arrow), which would occur when traffic from other directions have red lights (except for the green arrows for oncoming left turn traffic AND oncoming right turn traffic with a green arrow where the left and right turns are into a multi lane street/highway).

Note that left turn traffic is required to enter the first available lane on the left as they complete the turn unless signs or pavement markings indicate otherwise. Any use of other lanes after or during the turn is considered a lane change while driving on the street/road they are entering with the usual lane change signaling requirements. Likewise right turn traffic has to use the first available lane on the right. Watch for pavement markings guiding multiple turn lanes to more distant lanes.

Where there's a entrance ramp like right turn (a little triangular island or zebra stripped safety zone separating the right turn traffic from the main intersection) the right turning traffic should yield to traffic on the street/highway they are entering, even if the traffic made a left turn in the main intersection.

Even when you have the right of way you are still required to avoid a collision when possible.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Based on the limited information available I'm going to say you. Generally, a driver making a left turn is required to yield to oncoming traffic.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 01:35 PM

We don't even know if this was a stop sign or light. Maybe you could tell us more by saying what direction each of you where facing just before you started your turn.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 01:40 PM

If you were making a right turn and someone was making a left turn from the opposite direction (which is the only way I can make sense of your description) then yes you had the right way.

Sep 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
    I am located in Georgia.

This image may help you. In the situation me and the other driver would be turning onto grant road. I would be the dirver in the right lane as to where he would be coming from the opposite direction and be in the left turning lane. Does this help any?

Sep 4, 2009, 01:45 PM

There were no stop signs for either of us and it was not at a red light.

Sep 4, 2009, 01:50 PM

From this diagram, you are the car being hidden by the truck? In the top of the diagram?

The driver making the left onto Grant needed to wait for the truck to pass and then to check the road. Apparently he rushed and made his left immediately after the truck passed, not knowing you were there making the right onto Grant.

No question he would have been at fault.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Now I'm confused. Your diagram suggests that you were both turning left but in your original post you state that you were turning right. From how the situation now appears, whoever started to turn first would have the right of way and it would be the responsibility of the other driver to yield until the first finished his turn. That's the best I can make of the situation.

Sep 4, 2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, I would be the car at the top. The Cemi truck was not present in the situation. I used the diagram off a website. There were no other vehicles on the road, within a 100 mile distance, with us. Just me and the other driver. The other driver would be the car directly behind the left arrow.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertva View Post
    Times left turning traffic would have the right of way:

* Over traffic arriving from the left at the same or later time to a four or three way stop (both vehicles have stop signs).

* Traffic from the cross street has a red light, stop sign (or flashing red light), or yield sign (or flashing yellow). This right of way only applies over traffic from the cross street.

* The left turning traffic has a protected green (left turn arrow), which would occur when traffic from other directions have red lights (except for the green arrows for oncoming left turn traffic AND oncoming right turn traffic with a green arrow where the left and right turns are into a multi lane street/highway).

Note that left turn traffic is required to enter the first available lane on the left as they complete the turn unless signs or pavement markings indicate otherwise. Any use of other lanes after or during the turn is considered a lane change while driving on the street/road they are entering with the usual lane change signaling requirements. Likewise right turn traffic has to use the first available lane on the right. Watch for pavement markings guiding multiple turn lanes to more distant lanes.

Where there's a entrance ramp like right turn (a little triangular island or zebra stripped safety zone separating the right turn traffic from the main intersection) the right turning traffic should yield to traffic on the street/highway they are entering, even if the traffic made a left turn in the main intersection.

Even when you have the right of way you are still required to avoid a collision when possible.

Unless you wrote this, please give your source. I am an accident investigator and don't agree with what you have posted in its entirety.

Sep 4, 2009, 02:36 PM

Left turning traffic should be crossing to the left of the intersection's center point, thus opposing left turn traffic should not crossing paths. Unless opposing through and right turn traffic has a yield sign, stop sign or red light the opposing through and right turn traffic has the right of way over left turn traffic. The driver turning left is responsible for insuring there isn't a vehicle approaching the intersection in the opposing right lane, even if their view is obstructed by a vehicle waiting to make an opposing left turn.

See the post above if the right turn traffic is utilizing a lane with a triangular island or safety zone.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Left turning traffic should be crossing to the left of the intersection's center point, thus opposing left turn traffic should not crossing paths. Unless opposing thru and right turn traffic has a yeild sign, stop sign or red light the opposing thru and right turn traffic has the right of way over left turn traffic. The driver turning left is responsible for insuring there isn't a vehicle approaching the intersection in the opposing right lane, even if their view is obstructed by a vehicle waiting to make an opposing left turn.

See the post above if the right turn traffic is utilizing a lane with a triangular island or safety zone.

Again, did you write the long blurb that you posted and where are you getting this info? What State?

I agree with part of what you have posted but not with other parts.

I investigate accidents; I have never heard the "right-hand turn takes precedent over left-hand turn" rule before. Of course, I am in NY and it may be different in your State. I would like to read where this info is posted.

Sep 4, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Unless you wrote this, please give your source. I am an accident investigator and don't agree with what you have posted in its entirety.
    Every VA driver manual I've read indicates that a "proper" turn has to be made into the first available lane on the thoroughfare you are turning into. With the destination thoroughfare having multiple lanes the paths of right and left turning traffic have no need to cross, left turn into left lane while right turn uses right lane. Where there are multiple left turn lanes the second turn lane enters the second lane from the left unless pavement markings indicate otherwise.

Sep 4, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Every VA driver manual I've read indicates that a "proper" turn has to be made into the first available lane on the thoroughfare you are turning into. With the destination thoroughfare having multiple lanes the paths of right and left turning traffic have no need to cross, left turn into left lane while right turn uses right lane. Where there are multiple left turn lanes the second turn lane enters the second lane from the left unless pavement markings indicate otherwise.
    While I agree with what you posted here, the diagram provided by the OP indicates that he was turning into a roadway with one lane in each direction.

But you have not answered Judy's valid question. We take a dim view of plagiarism here. Your initial post in this thread appears to be a cut and paste from some source. There is nothing wrong with doing that as long as you give credit to the source. If you copied something from a driving manual that state its from the VA DMV Driver's manual (or wherever) or provide a link to where you copied it from. If you are claiming you typed this in your own words from your own knowledge, then say so. But if its found you did copy and paste, further action will taken. If you do neither, we will be forced to assume that this was plagiarism and take appropriate action.

Sep 4, 2009, 06:24 PM

Thank you for the complement on my writing skills, but please don't make plagiarism accusations you can't back up with a citation. I certainly can't recall the exact wording of a printed driver's manual I read years ago!

I'm not so fast typing I can produce a reply in five minutes either.

My gosh, if you think a east bound car turning left at a permissive green or an uncontrolled approach has the right of way over an west bound turn car turning right I hope you don't make any visits here! Of course if there's a safety zone or island between the through lane and a entrance ramp like right turn lane the car turning left has already completed the turn and the right turning car should behave as if they are entering from a side street.

Sep 4, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Thank you for the complement on my writing skills, but please don't make plagiarism accusations you can't back up with a citation. I certainly can't recall the exact wording of a printed driver's manual I read years ago!
    So you admit that you copied and pasted that post?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 07:10 PM

I will mention where Scott did not, he is one of the moderators on this board, as I am. I have also ignored your report of his posts.

Sep 4, 2009, 07:51 PM

Comments on this post robertva disagrees: Unsubstantiated plagarim acusation!

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Second, I did not accuse you of plagiarism. I asked you you to identify where the text you posted was from. I gave you the opportunity as did Judy, to state where you got it from or that it was your own words.

Your response was rather unclear, so I, again asked for clarification. I am bending over backwards to give you the benefit of the doubt. I don't understand why you can't be simple and direct. Either you state that you wrote the post off the top of your head or you copied it from <insert citation>. The fact that you have danced around the issue just makes it look more suspicious.

And no, this is not flaming, I am doing my duty as a moderator of this site. If you had doubts of my position, why not just ask me, instead of reporting my post?

However, in your second report you do state; "the earlier post was my own words". Again, I don't understand why you couldn't just state that when first asked. But I will accept that statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Driving on Driving Permit [ 1 Answers ]

HI all, I was caught for driving on a permit w/o a driver's license, and no licensed co passenger besides me. The cop gave me a summon which I can plead guilty or not in 10 days. The fine is $109. If I plead guilty I don't know how many points will be taken off. I have International Driving...

18 and driving job [ 3 Answers ]

I am 18 and am looking for a job driving in VA. Does anybody have any suggestions or tips or helpful comments?

It's driving me mad... [ 26 Answers ]

I typed out a whole long message regarding this, about why I think I feel this way, and what I think it's a reflection of, but I think it was far too long to bother you all with... The problem is that I'm sabotaging my relationship with my fiancé. I love him so much, and I know he loves me, so...

View more questions Search