Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Murtha Airport .Airport to nowhere
    Throughout his terms in Congress the king of Pork ;Jack Murtha has managed to secure $150 million for an airport that averages 30 passangers a day .There are 18 flights per week, and all go to Dulles Airport in Washington DC. This is the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport in Johnstown, Pa. The cost of the flight to Washington is $400 . By contrast to drive from Johnsontown to DC is about 3-4 hours and perhaps a large tank of gas.

The airport has a state of the art $8.5 million taxpayer built radar that has never been used ;and a $17 million runway tarmac. It just got $800,000 bucket list funding to repave a secondary runway .
    In December, Murtha made a direct appeal to the Federal Aviation Administration to fund the runway project. The request was rejected. At the time, the airport did not meet FAA criteria for funding because the facility had fewer than 10,000 passengers.
    But earlier this year, the FAA notified Murtha airport officials the facility had been approved for stimulus funding. The FAA said Murtha did not request the stimulus money.
    FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said Murtha airport received stimulus money because it was "shovel-ready." It "met all of the requirements for the use of the stimulus money," Brown said.
    Remote Murtha airport lands big bucks from Washington - CNN.com

Being in congress has it's perks. If he could've gotten away with it he could've flown one of them brand new congressional jets into his own private airport. If the Murtha airport were not there he would have to have the inconvenience to be driven in a limo 2 hrs into Pittsburg to fly to and from there... or drive to DC himself.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 4, 2009, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure which is the bigger chutzpah...

This airport...

... or the fleet of private jets funded by Congress for their personal use.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 02:58 PM

Murtha is such a putz, when is he going to get eviscerated over all his corruption? And shouldn't we at least wait until someone dies or is at least out of office before naming airports and such after them?
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 03:13 AM

I'll ask Sheets Byrd what he thinks . There are at least 30 Byrd droppings names after him .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Murtha is such a putz,
    Ahhh... a good Yiddish word.

when is he going to get eviscerated over all his corruption?
    Best guess.. Never.

But he MIGHT get voted out of office.

Maybe.

If we're lucky.

And shouldn't we at least wait until someone dies or is at least out of office before naming airports and such after them?
    One would think so...

But apparently not.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Ahhh... a good Yiddish word.
    It just seemed to fit.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:07 PM

Gee I have been knocking myself out senseless for 30 years TRYING to come up with SOME reason to visit Johnstown, Pa.
    I thought the incline might be interesting to see but that never seemed a good enough reason.
    Incline, airport, maybe!
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:43 PM
    If you want to visit DC you can get your own personal flight out .

Your right about the incline . Go to Johnsontown and see both the airport to nowhere and the tram to nowhere.

Or was that go to the airport to nowhere and then ride an inclined plane to nowhere ?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 08:06 PM

That is an excellent point
    The tram to nowhere
    PRECISELY WHY
    The idea didn't appeal to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Design an airport [ 1 Answers ]

can anyone help to design an airport with the runways? I don't have any idea how to start it.. thanks in advance. If possible, can you include a diagram. Thank you thank you =D

Nashville airport [ 2 Answers ]

Ohkay.. so I had a dream where I was going to the nashville airpport in a chevy avalanche(which I have) but I came to this lake that I had to drive through. and idid! I just drove through it like there was not problem.. what does that mean? :confused:

Airport mishap [ 10 Answers ]

I was taking an airline when the plane was delayed. After it arrived and we boarded, the stewardesses gave their safety speech, the plane sat along time on the tar mat and then we were that the airplane had mechanical problems and would have to be repaired. Another plane was brought in and...

View more questions Search