Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chrisl1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 08:27 AM
    81 volt measured at light switch in 120 volt circuit
    The dimmer for a ceiling light/fan combo in the bedroom stopped working. When trying to replace it with an electronic dimmer swich, nothing would work, so I measured voltage from the wires in the box. I had 122V from black to black but 81V from red to black. What would cause such disparity?

Still not able to get the light or fan to work.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 09:13 AM

Light or fan switch being on (at pull chain). Not a proper voltage check. Proper voltage check is between hot an neutral or ground. If switch is on the light bulb is just like a resistor. You are measuring voltage between hot and neutral with a resistor in line.
    Make a direct connection between hot and black and between hot and red to insure that every thing works and confirm that problem is switch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 09:29 AM

Is this a double post? I answered this question 15 minutes ago but my answer isn't here? You have 2 black a red and no white or green? Where do you live. Are the 2 blacks both attached to the switch?
    Chrisl1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Thank you. Pulled chain and switch became live. As for wiring in box, it is a double with two wire sets coming in and the two switches being wired together with black wires, all white wires attached together but not connected to the switches, the dimmer was connected to the red and black wires and the ground had been removed. Installed new switch with its ground wire intact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Assemble a 220 volt outlet from two 110 volt circuits [ 5 Answers ]

I need help making a temporary 220 volt outlet cord. I have the female 220 v receptacle and two extension cords. I need this to connect a window AC. The electrician cannot come until mid next week. It is very hot here. He told me to put one these cords together for a temporary fix. He warned...

Want a convert 220 Volt AC to 110 Volt AC to run a stream Iron [ 3 Answers ]

I have the AC supply of 220Volt. But have received a stream iron which operates on 110 Volt AC. Can somebody suggest me how I can use this iron? If possible please let me know. Thanks with warm regards, Kamal Bhasin

Dimmer switch wiring circuit for low volt puck lights [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to install low voltage puck lights under my kitchen cabinets controlled by a switch. I have relatively easy access to incoming power. I'm going to run pigtails from the live line to the switches -one to the existing switch and then one to the new dimmer switch I'm installing. I need...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search