Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caddeg68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 07:02 AM
    CA will and or inheritance
    In CA when property is divided at a parents death, are the children of a deceased sibling entitled to their parents share? No will or if there is one it is equal division between her 6 living kids.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by caddeg68 View Post
    In CA when property is divided at a parents death, are the children of a deceased sibling entitled to their parents share? No will or if there is one it is equal division between her 6 living kids.
    I think that's how it works, yes. But post the question on a board with probate and estate planning questions. This is family law- totally different.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 01:22 PM

Actually, we do deal with questions of Wills under Family Law.

If there is a will, the terms of the will govern. If there is no will, then the laws of inheritance for the state govern.

If the will specifies a bequest to someone who predeceased the testator, then the bequest goes to the heir's estate and should be divided according to the way the original estate was divided.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Actually, we do deal with questions of Wills under Family Law.

If there is a will, the terms of the will govern. If there is no will, then the laws of inheritance for the state govern.

If the will specifies a bequest to someone who predeceased the testator, then the bequest goes to the heir's estate and should be divided according to the way the original estate was divided.
    Oh, I haven't seen too many probate questions on the family law board. Probate and family law are two completely different fields of practice in California and recognized as two distinct legal specialties. There's obviously some overlap, but the two are very different areas of law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have an inheritance? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out if I was named as a beneficiary on an insurance policy?

Inheritance Tax? [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother In~Law passed away in April 2008. My Father In~Law followed suit June 2008. They left "everything" to their 3 adult children; houses, furniture, cars, bank accounts, etc. I am pretty sure it does not amount to 1.5 million (but it might come close). If it is divided 3 ways, do we...

Inheritance [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 sons who are 16. Their father (my ex husband) passed away 6 weeks ago. My exhusband remarried and has a daughter who is 6 months old to he's new wife. Where do my sons stand in terms of their inheritance? What percentage should they be receiving?

Inheritance tax [ 3 Answers ]

I received an inheritance and need to know if I must pay IRS taxes on it? The attorney sent a K-1 and informed me to contact my accountant. Whatever was to be paid , was not and not H & R block states a penelty is due.I believe there is not an inheritance tax in California.

Inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to pay the state of New Jersey tax on an inheritance of less than $50k in 2006? Thank you, DC

View more questions Search