Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 09:44 PM
    Water leaking into ceiling on 1st floor
    Water sometimes drips from the bathroom upstairs into my dining on th 1st fl. What can I do? I already had the ceiling taken down, but we can't determine where its coming from. It only drips sometimes. (very strange) I'm just to tired of this problem and don't know what to do, the bathroom is only 7 years old.

Can you help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2006, 04:48 AM
    You don't have much choice in the matter. Before you can repair a problem you first have to locate it. This is done be a process of elimination. Before we can start we need more details. Custom tile shower or tub? Do you see moisture coming from the ceiling after a certain action such as draining the tub or taking a shower? Give us some details to work with. Regards, Tom
    yroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 08:04 AM
    That's the thing there's no signs of water or moisture on the ceiling or anyway. Just down on my dining room ceiling. I have a duplex and this problem is on both my side of the house and my tenants.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Is it possible the water is coming in from outside, and not from you plumbing? Water can run all around until it finds a hole to come out. I just checked a spot this morning about 20' from where I fixed the roof last week. It was blessedly dry! Trouble is, there is another leak on the far side of the building.

I once worked in a building that water started dripping off the ceiling 3 days after it started to rain, and dripped for 3 days after it quit.

Note to Rickj, it was the Ashland Research building in dublin when I worked there in the mid 70's.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yroberts
    That's the thing there's no signs of water or moisture on the ceiling or anyway. just down on my dining room ceiling. I have a duplex and this problem is on both my side of the house and my tenants.

As I said, The process of elimination. Run water in the shower and check the dining room ceiling. See if you have more moisture after a rain. If necessary open up the dining room ceiling and track the water back to the source. You can't do a thing until you know where the water comes from.
    Bathroom or roof. Good luck, Tom
    johnnyphan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 02:58 PM
    I hope will help u, first check your shower to see any crack around the tub, or shower spout u did not caulk them that when some one taking shower water might drip it down. Second might be your water coset is not setting properly, when u flush the water closet water over flow and might drip it down. Other than that u might have to cut the spot where the water drip down and trace it down.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Drain vent leaking water in attic and onto ceiling [ 13 Answers ]

I noticed a leak on my bedroom ceiling and traced it to a drain ventilation system looping though my attic. It does not seem to be connected to the main vent stack. It seems to be leaking at an elbow joint. The drain vent is PVC and I'm guessing is connected to my tub and washer drains and...

1ST Floor Bath addition [ 5 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can offer advice. I currently live in the NE in a 1/2 double home that is 80+ yrs old. Approx. 25 yrs ago an additional room was added to rear of first floor (nothing is above this room). This room currently has a large sink. I would like to/in process of gutting the room to...

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

View more questions Search