Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Engagements rings
    My partner I went into a jewellers yesterday to buy a present for his mother and ended up looking at rings on display.

We have always planned on getting engaged but just haven't had enough money to think about it at the moment.

Anyway, he picked out (to my surprise) a beautiful diamond ring with a sapphire in the center.
    It was like this but instead of a center diamond it was a sapphire.
    http://www.purelydiamonds.co.uk/pure...cs/PD267PL.jpg
    I know engagement rings are supposed to be diamonds but is a sapphire okay?

That probably sounds silly but I was wondering seeing as how they my two favourite stones and I know pretty much NOTHING about wedding tradition!

It will still be a while off before we can afford it (it was 2,500 :eek:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

In my eyes an engagement ring is a ring given in promise of marriage, a ring you like - even a paper band from a cigar.

There's another thread kicking around on this subject but people also get engaged without any ring at all.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:56 AM

I say get what you like. Forget the old traditions start a new one yourself.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
    I agree and say what makes you happy. You're the one that has to look at it every day. My nieces ring is only sapphire. The entire thing. That's what she liked so that's what she got.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 12:00 PM

An engagement ring doesn't have to be diamonds, they just normally are.

My cousin had a sapphire instead of a diamond.

As long as you love it, that's all the matters.

We will want to see a picture of it when you get it. :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

I had a ruby as I never cared for diamonds.
    You have to wear it for the rest of your life so you're the one that has to like it!
    Congratulations!
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 03:23 AM

Oooh sorry Judy, I didn't see that other thread!

Thank you guys, I was just curious as I fell in love with this ring, and my partner wanted to put it on lay-away then and there! :eek:
    I managed to talk him out of it, not because I don't want to get engaged, but simply because I don't want to fall behind on bills because of it.

I guess you could say we are engaged to be engaged ;)

Anyway, just wanted to make sure people weren't going to "pick on me" for not getting a diamond. :o
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 4, 2009, 12:56 PM

If they "pick on you" its because they're jealous :)

Sounds lovely! Do you love it?

My friend has a diamond (her hubby proposed with) but when it was time for HER to pick the wedding band, she chose a sapphire wrap -- she just likes them better. Its quite attractive and I like that she has something unique :)
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 12:27 AM

Thank you LearningAsIGo!
    I will keep that in mind :D

We actually told my mom yesterday about it and I thought I would be getting the "you are too young" speech but she seemed excited about it, her only comment was that if we get a new ring off e-bay we could get it faster! :eek:
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 01:05 AM

mine was amethyst and silver. I have to be one of the few women on earth who can't stand gold or diamonds ^_~
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    mine was amethyst and silver. i have to be one of the few women on earth who can't stand gold or diamonds ^_~
    I can't stand yellow gold, I have just never liked it.
    All my jewellery is white gold or silver.

Good to hear that I am not a loner in not wanting a plain diamond :D
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I can't stand yellow gold, I have just never liked it.
    All my jewellery is white gold or silver.

Good to hear that I am not a loner in not wanting a plain diamond :D
    Nope, not alone.

Oddly enough, I love stones, of all kinds. I collect stones and have several I have wrapped for jewelry. I just don't like diamonds. I would rather have clear quartz than diamonds. They just seem dead to me. Other stones 'speak' to me, just not diamonds.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 05:04 AM
    nope, not alone.

oddly enough, i love stones, of all kinds. i collect stones and have several i have wrapped for jewelry. i just don't like diamonds. i would rather have clear quartz than diamonds. they just seem dead to me. other stones 'speak' to me, just not diamonds.
    That's very true, I don't dislike diamonds at all, I certainly wouldn't complain if I got a honkin' big diamond ring, but sapphires are just more... me

The only stone I don't like is emeralds, never been a big fan of green.
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 05:08 AM

I don't like laboratory created stones. The color is too bright and unnatural. Real stones have different shades, often within the same stone, that give them more character. And they just don't 'feel' the same as real stones.

I guess I'm just a purist.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 05:25 AM
    i don't like laboratory created stones. the color is too bright and unnatural. real stones have different shades, often within the same stone, that give them more character. and they just don't 'feel' the same as real stones.

i guess I'm just a purist.
    Definitely! Created sapphires always look too bright, almost see through, the real ones are a very dark blue.
    I can spot a fake a mile away haha
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 06:04 AM

Exactly. But any jeweler will swear up and down that there's no real difference and that the lab-grown gems are just as real as the natural-grown ones. A lot of jewelers, and customers, actually prefer them because the color is so bright and even. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 04:19 AM
    Sapphire is a wonderful alternative for diamonds on engagement rings. Its beauty, transparency and hardness are makes up the perfect gemstone for a ring. Although diamonds on engagement rings is a tradition and liked by most, but many people prefer colored gemstones because of their uniqueness and beauty.

Have a look at this Blue Sapphire Ring.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 09:50 PM

Thankyo ufor your input jennycarol, I'm liking the Sapphire idea more and more now I have heard everyone opinions :)

Also, I love that ring, I have always loved the look of a large stone in the center and then smaller diamonds in the band.
    rizzoeddie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 11:25 AM

I say go with what your love! What represents you the best and makes you happy is the most symbolic think for a marriage! :)
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 01:50 AM

Thank you rizzoeddie!

I'm liking the Sapphire idea more and more now :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three rings [ 1 Answers ]

I dreamed that I was in a room filled with family and friends. When the guy I am seeing was standing in front on us talking. (He does not wear jewelry at all) In my dream while he is standing there talking he put a gold band on his left hand ring finger, then a silver band onto his right ring...

Engagement rings [ 10 Answers ]

Does a woman in Virginia have to get back an egagement ring back?

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

Mood rings [ 1 Answers ]

How do mood rings work? I know someone who actually thinks they're powered by witchcraft! I say it must be a chemical reaction to the heat of a person's body or the atmosphere. Is it chemical, and, if so, what is/are the chemical/chemicals used?

View more questions Search