Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lwos Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Kenmore Elite Washer model 20992991
    Can anyone tell me how to get the TOP off this machine? So far I've tried to pry if off with no success. There aren't any "clips" that I can see... but I can see two screws that are impossible to get to. I have to replace a Bleach Hose that was cut in half by the drum... But I sure can't see how to get the top off.
    I can't find any hinges, and it looks like you have to take the entire rear panel off and maybe even the control panel. On my old Kenmore, you could easily lift the top up, but not on this baby.
    Do I have to slide the entire cabinet off? I can't see paying Sears $90.00 for a service call to replace a rubber hose and a couple clamps costing a total of $8.00
    .Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    :) Thank you so much
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 27, 2006, 05:04 AM
    There should be two screws that hold the control panel in place. Normally one in each front corner. Some times the two trim pieces need to be removed first. On some years they were in the back corners.

The control panel will swing up and there are two clips that hold the cabinet in place.

Oct 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
    So, are you saying that the entire front and 2 side panels and top is really a one piece shell and slides forward away from the drum after you lift the control panel? I see the two screws on the control panel that you're speaking of and I think I see the two"hinges" although the entire back of the machine from the top of the control panel to the bottom of the machine has a solid, one piece black panel on it.

Are my asumptions correct? That the top, two side and front panels are one piece that slide forward after the control panel is flipped up?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Remove the console and on each corner you will find a spring like clip. Remoce them and the cabinet will move away from the back. Same as a whirlpool

Oct 27, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Thanks for all the help... I'll give it a shot on Saturday. Personally, I wish they would have allowed the top to lift from the front... now I have to try and slide it out of it's
    Location, across a laminate floor & disconnect the hoses so I can turn it to get to the screws... then find room for the shell. My unit is kind of " built in" with little room to work.
    The worst thing about it though, was I paid $14.99 for a Sears Kenmore "How To" manual, giving them my model number. Well, the photos and explanation of how to get the top off doesn't even come close. Said to use putty knife under the front of the top to get to the clips, and pry up. What a joke... Said nothing about removing the control panel, or even how to do that on this unit. I'm just disgusted I spent good money for a useless manual.

Again, thanks for the help.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 27, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwos
    Can anyone tell me how to get the TOP off this machine? So far I've tried to pry if off with no success. There aren't any "clips" that I can see.....but I can see two screws that are impossible to get to. I have to replace a Bleach Hose that was cut in half by the drum........ But I sure can't see how to get the top off.
    I can't find any hinges, and it looks like you have to take the entire rear panel off and maybe even the control panel. On my old Kenmore, you could easily lift the top up, but not on this baby.
    Do I have to slide the entire cabinet off? I can't see paying Sears $90.00 for a service call to replace a rubber hose and a couple clamps costing a total of $8.00
    .Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    :) Thank you so much
    I have done it before on a Kenmore washer, ended up destroying the washer and it was not salvageable. I would call a skilled technician.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 27, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Oh it can't be that hard.

I'll grant you that getting some household appliances apart can be tricky, because they are designed to hide the screws and bolts holding them together. Many washers and dryers have panels held on by clips.

Just remember, someone put it together, there is a way to get it apart.
    waterheater Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 02:19 PM

You might want to consult the Service and Repair manual prior to doing anything. Or call the service technician.

Mar 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Problem solved... got a new washer and dryer shortly after I posted my delima. I found out you have to remove the back, then slide the entire cabinet off. Major headache and not an easy task for a gal to do. Washer was 30 years old, so I decided to scrap it ( was on second control panel that was acting up) and get a matching washer and dryer. Never had a matched set before. I'm here to tell you I'm glad I did. This new kenmore uses less water, detergent and softner and actually gets the clothes cleaner. And my Dryer has a steam setting to remove wrinkles and freshen clothes. I'm in 7th heaven.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Mar 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
    I don't want anyone else reading this at some point in the future to be confused. That washer is 100% NOT serviced from the back. The back is (almost) NEVER removed from this washer. The entire cabinet comes off from the front. Just for comparison, I can have that cabinet off that washer in under 45 seconds; it's really easy, without moving the washer at all. This washer design is 200% easier to service than Whirlpool's previous design washer. Glad you we able to find a solution to your problem.
    ifixedthat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 09:10 PM
    These answers are incomplete. There are two clips that are in the front of the washer that lock it down. They are located about 5 inches from the left and right side. You can see where they are clamped by wedging a large flathead screw driver in and prying up a little in the front - the metal will start to bend a little where they are at. At this point (while the top is lifted a little) use another flathead screw driver and place it directly in front of the location where the clip is (between the top and body of the washing machine). With a malet or the palm of your hand firmly tap in on the screw driver. This will push the clip back releasing the top. The top should easily swing open at this point. To close it just push down firmly and it will clip back into place. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite washer not spinning/agitating [ 11 Answers ]

I have the same washer as SerTam (dated 4/2/06). Model #110.20052 992 The washer filled and the light said it was washing but it was just making a horrible buzzing sound. It was not agitating. I was able to get it to drain though. It also would stop draining if I raised the lid so I don't think...

Kenmore Elite Washer (Model#110.82873120) Spin Probs [ 5 Answers ]

I have the Kenmore Elite King Size Washer, Model#110.82873120. Last night it quit working on the "Spin" cycle. I can still hear and feel the cycle operating, but there is a "clicking" that goes on and the agitator doesn't spin, nor does it agitate during the cycle. The draining mechanism...

Kenmore elite catalyst washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Model number 11020072991 Ok, here's where I'm at. I believe it's the drive coupler? I've disconnected the control panel and fliped it back. I remove the brass colored springs holding on the cover and removed the cover after disconnecting the clamps and hoses needed. Now, I'm stuck and don't...

Kenmore Elite washer won't drain [ 12 Answers ]

My Kenmore Elite Catalyst washer Model #11020096992 is now five years old. I have had nothing but problems with this supposed "top of the line" product. We probably could have purchased another washer or two by now. The most recent problem is that it won't drain during the rinse and spin cycle. ...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Model 110.63932102 will not heat [ 6 Answers ]

My dryer stopped heating although it runs. I confirmed I was getting 240volts at the source. I checked the continuity of the element, the thermal fuse and the thermostat and found that they were continuous. I have read that the thermistor might have something to do with it...

View more questions Search