Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penny327 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Adoption of disabled grand-daughter
    I have a disabled grand-daughter who is 19
    I have a grand-daughter who is 19 she is by-polar and listed as mr Can I still adopt her? S he has lived with me a good portion of her life. Also when she was about 15 the courts of Texas gave me custody. I live in Indiana thanks Penny327
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 07:30 PM

Yes you can adopt an adult at anytime and it doesn't take the parents permission to do so. The only problem you face at this time is her competency. If as you say she is regaurded as mentally challenged then mostly its going to depend on how severe it is. Can she live out life on her own or does she need assistence ?
    penny327 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 07:39 PM

She would need supervision She can only read on 3rd grade level She also has a 4 month old baby It really worries me that she can be taken advantage of very easy She got pregnant on a visit to her mothers in Texas
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 01:16 PM

What type of custody were you given ? Are the parents still tied to the child at this time ? What state are they in ?

The reason for asking is because in Indiana child supprt runs until 21 and there are no emancipation laws.

If everything is on your side and you still wish to adopt then your going to need representation for your grand daughter as her capacity is diminished. The family courts there can advise you on how best to handle that. Then the rest is just paperwork. And cngrats for taking care of her in the times when you should be living life again on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeless 15 YO Grand daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 yo grand daughter "r", her mother left "r" with her mother, the Grandmother "rose" let her leave her house, now she is homeless ,hanging out and sleeping with a 19 yo young man, also homeless. Do I the other Grandmother have any right? Can I bring her to my home and not be charged ...

Adopting my grand daughter [ 3 Answers ]

I have raised and supported my 8 year old grand daughter for 7 years.recently,my daughter has given me guardianship,custody,and termination of parental rights for adoption.this is all filed in the court.a children's service court appointed lady came check my home,and speak with my grand daughter....

Son and grand daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my grand daughter is terminally ill and only has months to live my son is her main carer as his girlfriend walked out on the sick child as a family we are heart broken as this is our sons only child the most unfortunate thing is that he needs a flat to bring her out of hospital to die in but the...

My 3 year Grand Daughter will not talk [ 1 Answers ]

My three year Grand daughter will not talk unless you tell her what to say.She will say only one word at a time.She requires verbal prompting in order to communicate with others. She will not play with other children, but rather obseves them. She exhibits constant fidgeting. She babbles words...

Missing My Grand Daughter [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever my son and his daughter mother are not on good terms she retaliates by keeping my grand daughter away from me! They are no longer together and I'm tired of her threating me that I will never see my grand daughter again. I would like to know if I should just take her to court to get grand...

View more questions Search