Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kinshi_lp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 09:39 PM
    Laptop charger
    Hi.anyone,help! My laptop charger is 18.5V output but it's cut.Im working on something urgent so for the mean time can I use a lesser Voltage of 8.5V to charge it? Please advise me
    Bill-K Posts: 54, Reputation: 16

Sep 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
    I don't think you would be doing any harm by trying 8.5V - but I doubt if that is high enough to work. I would expect you to need at least 12V.

Also - I am assuming here that your original laptop charger is DC (Direct Current). Be very careful that any other power adapters you try using are producing DC - and NOT AC (Alternating Current). I think if you use AC, you run the risk of damaging your battery.

Sep 1, 2009, 10:28 PM

Sir Bill,thanks for answering... my laptop charger is AC,also with the other one.. how about if I take out the battery and try running it on with the lesser voltage,would it do any damage on my laptop?I won't try doing it unless you approve of it

Sep 2, 2009, 12:38 AM
    I think I may need to be a little clearer here. I'm not talking about the INPUT curren/voltage of your charger here. That will deffo be AC, and either 110 or 220 V - or whatever your local mains supply is. It's the OUTPUT that needs to be checked.

I've done electronics in my time, but power supplies is not really my domain - so I am NO expert here, Kin. I would, however (if there was nobody else looking) try doing what you suggested, before giving up. Taking the flat battery out of the equation will - in theory - mean less of a drain on the 8.5V supply. And you MIGHT - JUST MIGHT - be lucky!!

Be lucky, my friend!! :)

Sep 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-K View Post
    I think I may need to be a little clearer here. I'm not talking about the INPUT curren/voltage of your charger here. That will deffo be AC, and either 110 or 220 V - or whatever your local mains supply is. It's the OUTPUT that needs to be checked.

I've done electronics in my time, but power supplies is not really my domain - so I am NO expert here, Kin. I would, however (if there was nobody else looking) try doing what you suggested, before giving up. Taking the flat battery out of the equation will - in theory - mean less of a drain on the 8.5V supply. And you MIGHT - JUST MIGHT - be lucky !!!

Be lucky, my friend !!! :)
    thanks Sir Bill,I've tried it and your right,power output is not enough(8.5 vs 18.5; big difference) hence it won't charge... thanks a lot for your time,appreciate it =)

Sep 2, 2009, 01:18 AM
    Sorry it was a no-go, matey.
    ComputerHelpers Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Sep 3, 2009, 12:41 AM

Actually, the input for the on board lower level tolerance voltage runs in the 13.7 vdc range, since there are on board dc to dc converters. Anything less will make the m/b useless. And that's from designing SMPS for ocmpututers for around 25 years.

Sep 3, 2009, 12:57 AM
    Thanks ComputerHelpers, it's encouraging to know that my guess was at least in the ball park. As it comes from a power supply designer, I guess we can call that the definitive post here!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lap top charger. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a lap top about 8 months ago and its been a decent computer but not there is a big issue. The computer will only stay on when the thing is pluged in... kinda ruins the mobile computer thing.

The car battery charger. [ 1 Answers ]

How can we access the car cigarette lighter power source for other purposes, e.g. as a battery charger or an electric shaver? Does it provide DC power?

Muscle car- 69 CHARGER [ 2 Answers ]

On my way to school I noticed a charger sitting on someone's side yard. It was apparent that it had not been driven for years and putty had been added in certain parts. It doesn't run, it has no paint, and has some rust around the front passenger side. Basically its just the body and certain parts...

1967 charger [ 6 Answers ]

Please people I just bought a 1967 charger and know NOTHING :confused: ABOUT IT. Please, if you know anything, ANYTHING about this car, please tell me

View more questions Search