Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applecs Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 11:34 AM

Yes I'm still here, I posted my questions above. I'm just waiting on stringer for a response.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Okay. Are you still interested in the advertising aspect of your business?

Jan 28, 2010, 11:44 AM

Yes but not at the moment though. I would like to get things started first, get some work, before I do that
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applecs View Post
    Hi guys. Stringer, I finally have some time on my hands now to help my parents out with the business. I've been doing research and studying some more since last talking with you. I just wanted to know how you went about everything from the very beginning? when you went to different places, when you did cold calling, when you actually got to speak with someone that makes decisions?
    Apple, there are so many answers to this question as so many things apply.

When you first address a prospect or the receptionist, little things like a smile, tone of voice, attitude means so much IMO. You have about thirty seconds to form an initial good impression. You have to be non threatening. Simply be yourself.

You can gain a lot of information from the receptionist; Are they happy with the cleaning? Who presently does the cleaning? Etc.

You have several things on your agenda with the receptionist; Could you speak to the person who 'contracts for janitorial service?' If not, ask them for his/her card (usually it contains all the info you need including the email address.) Has the present cleaning company been there a long time? Have they gone out for bid recently? Etc.

Always follow up with this information if you do not see the right person initially. And IMO and experience this occurs rarely. The 'lead time in most cases from initial contact and signing a contract for mid and large contracts is usually three months due to many factors; length of present contract, decision making time, etc.

When making you first phone contact put a smile in your voice, be polite (realize that he/she gets a lot of calls. (In the three county area surrounding Chicago there are a minimum of 3,500 cleaning companies.) Get to the point, briefly tell them who you are, why you are calling, and a small bit about your company. Ask them if you can offer a proposal. Ask to make an appointment.

Cold Calling : Sell : How To : Eric Wolfram's Writing (You may need to copy and paste this)

Hope this helped some, there is so much more...

Stringer
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Yes but not at the moment tho. I would like to get things started first, get some work, before I do that
    By advertising, you'll be more likely to get the work.

Jan 28, 2010, 11:53 AM

What about the buildings that don't have gate keepers or receptionist, the one's that have people in the lobby for front of the building? How would you get a lead from those kinds of places?
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
    What about the buildings that don't have gate keepers or receptionist, the one's that have people in the lobby for front of the building? How would you get a lead from those kinds of places?
    In the smaller buildings such as you described you simply ask if you could speak to the person that makes the decision to contract for services. In buildings that are say 2,000 sq ft or less you have a better chance of seeing that person. These size buildings may not have cleaning 5 or 6 days per week, so be sure to ask how many days per week they require service. The initial contact I mentioned above still applies apple.

Stringer

Jan 28, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I'm actually going to start posting on craigslist pretty soon. What are some other place for good exposure?
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    I'm actually going to start posting on craigslist pretty soon. What are some other place for good exposure?
    We need to do this in steps... craigslist is good, but not the only place to advertise.

Are you a member of hoobly.com?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    In the smaller buildings such as you described you simply ask if you could speak to the person that makes the decision to contract for services. In buildings that are say 2,000 sq ft or less you have a better chance of seeing that person. These size buildings may not have cleaning 5 or 6 days per week, so be sure to ask how many days per week they require service. The initial contact I mentioned above still applies apple.

Stringer
    Sorry stringer I wrote that wrong, I meant to ask what about the buildings that don't have receptionist or anyone for that matter in the lobby? These aren't small buildings either, they're pretty decent sized, close to 100,000 sq ft.

Jan 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
    We need to do this in steps... craigslist is good, but not the only place to advertise.

Thanks!
    No, haven't heard of that site. You mind giving me a briefing of the site? Thanks.
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Sorry stringer I wrote that wrong, I meant to ask what about the buildings that don't have receptionist or anyone for that matter in the lobby? These aren't small buildings either, they're pretty decent sized, close to 100,000 sq ft.
    If I understand what you are asking Apple all you would need to do is ask whomever you find the same question or ask for the 'manager.'

EDIT: If you cannot find anyone then simply take down the company name, address, etc and Google it for a phone number and follow through.

For new construction simply ask for the Job Sup... he sill usually be very helpful in giving you a lot of info.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks!
    no, haven't heard of that site. You mind giving me a briefing of the site? Thanks.
    If you list something on that site, depending on how you word your ad, it can become visible on the first page of a Google search within minutes!

If you're interested in doing that, as well as knowing how to do that, please open up another browswer or tab, and join Everything from Everywhere

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 12:25 PM

I have to leave for a while guys. Apple if you have further questions please let me know.

Stringer

Jan 28, 2010, 12:28 PM

Ok thanks. And when you make cold calls to the decision makers what do you, as in you personally, usually say? Do you have something that you always say, how do you start the call?

Jan 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
    If you list something on that site, depending on how you word your ad, it can become visible on the first page of a Google search within minutes!

If you're interested in doing that, as well as knowing how to do that, please open up another browswer or tab, and join Everything from Everywhere

Thanks!
    Yea that sounds great. So after I register I just post a ad, like I would on craigslist?
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks!
    yea that sounds great. So after I register I just post a ad, like I would on craigslist?
    What we do, is to work on the words for the ad here. It will need to be worded just right. Some people's ads never get noticed in searches because of the way that they've worded their ads.

Please let me know, on this thread, when you've joined that site.

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
    What we do, is to work on the words for the ad here. It will need to be worded just right. Some people's ads never get noticed in searches because of the way that they've worded their ads.

Thanks!
    Ok I just registered right now.
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Ok thanks. And when you make cold calls to the decision makers what do you, as in you personally, usually say? Do you have something that you always say, how do you start off the call?
    Hi, my name is... I am with... we are a janitorial company in your area, and we have been doing business here for over... years. We would like the opportunity to talk with you about becoming your service.

Do you presently use a janitorial service? Are you interested in a competitive proposal to perform our service? There is no charge to sit down for a bit and do a walk through and present a quote for out service.

Is next Tuesday at 2 pm good for you?

(Did you take a look at the site I posted Apple?)

Stringer
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks!
    Ok I just registered right now.
    Are you using a separate browswer or another tab, please?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitorial recommendation for start-up, home-based business [ 4 Answers ]

I have been asked to submit a bud "quote" on a commercial building project. The total sq ft is 4,900 sq ft. if we multiply that by 27 cents psf is that supposed to include: (1) salaries, (2) supplies, (3) profit. We have determined that we would probably need 3 people, 3 hrs per night, $8/hr....

Starting a small janitorial business [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to begin a small janitorial business. I have been doing janitorial work for the last 4 yrs and now I'm able to start my own. How do I begin trying to set up my own business. I have no experience in owning one

Janitorial Business [ 2 Answers ]

Been wanting to start a business through janitorial but don't know where and how do I start. What are the possible gains and risks. Answer anyone. Thank you.. MITZI

Market research for a janitorial business [ 2 Answers ]

:cool: I live in louisville Kentucky and Im in the process of starting a janitorial business part time. I do not have enough money to hire a market research firm. Where else could I get information on demand and market conditions for commercial cleaning in my area ?

Janitorial Business Leads [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any companies located in Los Angeles or on the Web that set-up leads or potential customers that are looking for janitorial services?

View more questions Search