very difficult math equation
    Prove it!
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    Prove it!
    Where did you get this equation from? I think I can show graphically that the sum of the two integrals is precisely 9, so I think the inequality (less than sign) on the left is in error.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Running them through my TI, I see the integrals add to 9.00004286557

Which is between 9 and 9.001

Try using

Suppose f is integrable on [a,b] and
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 01:17 PM

OK, here's a method - I'm going to do a bit of "hand waving" here but I trust it'll be reasonably clear...

First, note that the two integrals are functions that are inverses of each other. That is, if

then

Hence we know that the area between the lower curve and the x axis is equal to the area between the y axis and upper curve y. These areas are shown as A and A' in the figure. This also means that the areas between each curve and the diagonal are equal -- I have marked these areas as B and B' in the figure. Similarly, the two areas marked C and C' are identical. Finally, there is a little tail out at the end of the upper curve, labelled D.

Now, the integral for the lower curve from x = 1 to x = 3 is equal to the area A. This area is also equal to the area under the diagonal minus B minus C. Since the area under the diagonal is simply a triangle, we know its area is 1/2*3*3 = 4.5.

The integral for the upper curve is equal to the area under the diagonal, plus the areas B' plus C' + D.

Add the two integral together and you have (4.5 - B - C)+(4.5 + B'+ C' +D). Or in other words, the sum of the integrals is simply 9 +D.

The area D is slightly smaller than a triangle, and with a little work you can show that the length of the legs of the triangle are approximately 0.0092 and 0.0093, so the area D is 1/2* 0.0092 * 0.0093 = .000043. Hence the total area is greater than 9, and less than 9.000043. QED.
    Attached Images

jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 2, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The area D is slightly smaller than a triangle, and with a little work you can show that the length of the legs of the triangle are approximately 0.0092 and 0.0093, so the area D is 1/2* 0.0092 * 0.0093 = .000043. Hence the total area is greater than 9, and less than 9.000043. QED.
    Brilliant! And so simple now that you point it out. Great job!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 04:16 AM
    I wish they would adjust the 'rate this answer'. Every time I try to give feedback, it tells me I can't. I am just going to quit altogether. :(
    I tried ebaines. Nice proof.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Sep 13, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Where did you get this equation from? I think I can show graphically that the sum of the two integrals is precisely 9, so I think the inequality (less than sign) on the left is in error.
    It was one of the Math olympiad questions in 1990's something/
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Sep 13, 2009, 07:53 AM
    It's not an equation is it?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 08:14 AM

How could I miss this thread! I think its more appropriate name would be inequality.
    marijaISKRA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 03:37 AM
    A little les than 9 ;D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math Equation [ 2 Answers ]

1) Solver for x: log7(x+4) + log7(x-2)=1

How can I do this math equation? [ 1 Answers ]

there is a math problem I don't know how to do, it goes: 6^(x+1)-6^x=1080 the little ^ sign means that it's squared, cubed, etc. how do I do it? Please give step-by-step instructions and remember: I'm only in 7th grade so use 7th grade vocabulary! Please explain it as simply as you...

Math equation [ 3 Answers ]

(48/n + 3) (n -2) = 48 + 22 please solve

Math equation [ 1 Answers ]

2+w(w-1)=13 Please help? If you don't mind could you show how you came up with the answer?:)

Math equation [ 3 Answers ]

how to do this problem 3x=4=10 what is x

View more questions Search