Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amatuerhour Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Renting my condo - tax implications?
    I am trying to decide to rent out or sell my current condo and unfotunately no options are great. I have read conflicting information about the tax issues of renting property. It is currently my primary residence but I would be moving to something bigger (renting likely) and to avoid selling for a loss would rent out my current place.

[LIST][*]First, I assume that I have to claim the rental payments as income and I assume that is the case even if the rent I receive is less than what I pay in mortgage and condo fees?
    [*]Can I still deduct interest payments even though not my primary residence?
    [*]Are condo fees deductible on a rental property? I had heard that they are but that seems odd since they are not currently deductible.
    [*]What else can I deduct? I believe you can deduct home improvements measures. Anything else?
    [*]how about depreciation? Is there an income limit on if you can claim that and how does it work? Straight amount deducted off income as any other deduction?

Any suggestions on how to find a good tax/financial advisor to help with the rent out vs sell options? I am in northern VA

Thanks for any help.
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Sep 1, 2009, 10:17 PM

Any revenue resulting from the rental would be income.

Money spent on the rental would be deductions. Durable portions of the property like your share of the building (including parking, hallways, sidewalks etc), HVAC equipment, kitchen and laundry appliances and carpet would be deductible through depreciation. Less durable expenses (minor repairs, mileage to collect rent, landscape services) would be deductible in their entirety each year. Direct (on your unit) or indirect (through the association) improvements to the building or other durable assets n the unit during the period you use it as a rental would be subject to new depreciation schedules on those improvements.

Your basis in the unit would have to be calculated when you convert it into a rental. Your basis would include the amount you paid for the unit plus the remaining value of improvements you've made since the purchase. Depreciation deductions would be calculated from that basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax implications owning home in NJ and working and renting in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I own a home in New Jersey and work in New York city. This has been the case for many years now. Thus, my tax returns have included Federal, New York Non-resident, and New Jersey (w/credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions). However, my company is moving to Miami where we...

How does the condo association know I am renting out my unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

Renting condo units [ 2 Answers ]

In A Condo Complex, What Records Must Be Kept By The Condo Association For Viewing By All The Unit Owners. Condo Is Located In Palm Desert, Ca. Thank You.

Renting tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine the feasibility of renting the house I own, given the tax/mortgage implications. Any help here would be appreciated! -I live in the state of MA. I believe I would have to pay tax on my rental income, could someone provide more details on that? e.g. my current monthly...

Tax implications of renting an apt in NJ vs NY? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, What are the tax implications of renting an apartment in NY vs NJ? (1) I will be working for a firm based in Manhattan. (2) Assuming my salary+bonus will be near 135K/yr I believe if I live in NY - I will have to pay federal, NY state, and NY city tax. If I live in NJ - I will have to...

View more questions Search