Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DesertSnow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Good Vs Bad
    How can good and bad exist?
    What is your perception of their reality?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:31 AM

It's real, also a Yin and Yang thing, a balance of things, Good/bad, hard/soft, light/dark. Can't have 1 without the other.
    What kind of world do you think this would be if their was only Good. Pretty boring, Huh?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
    "...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
    William Shakespeare
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 1, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Is your question related to Plato's Theory of Forms? By that I mean are you asking if 'goodness itself' or 'badness itself' exists as opposed to particular instances of goodness and badness that we find in the material world?

If this is the case then based on Plato's account there are problems in trying to give a satisfactory account of 'goodness itself or 'badness itself'. It is easier to account for goodness and badness in the physical world.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Sep 25, 2009, 08:23 PM

God makes all things good; man meddles
    With them and they become evil or bad.

Maggie 3
    alice707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 05:45 PM

There must be a balance for everything.. for one thing to exist, its opposite must exist also.. if not we could never tell what is really good or bad
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Hi, DesertSnow!

What are your definitions as to what's good and bad, please?

Thanks!
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 11, 2009, 10:54 AM

Hello people

As start states, yin and yang, north and south.

Life, nature works on a chance system of 50/50

Every decision a life (plant, man, animal etc) has a 50 50 outcome. Some good and some bad

It is only the terminology that we use that determines what the 50/50 is

If as a person, or a family, community, nation, global determines whether something is good or bad, they are merly tipping the balance in favour of one end of the 50 to the other

It can be demonstrated that a fat child eating a sweet is bad, but an underweight chiild eating a sweet could be deemed as good

While the other way can also be true

Eating a sweet is bad, while eating fresh fruit is good

Eating fruit that is not fair trade can be bad while eating fair trade is good

The list of good and bad is proportional to the subject at hand and is only swing by the cultural influences placed upon it
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Nov 20, 2009, 10:40 AM

DesertSnow, your question itself contains the answer: EVERYthing is perception. "Good" and "Evil" are defined by the consciousness perceiving it in a given circumstance. Nothing more, nothing less.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 10:50 AM

If my memory serves me right,there's a full thread on this topic.. although its always good to get a new perspective.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 20, 2009, 11:34 AM

DesertSnow, your question itself contains the answer: EVERYthing is perception. "Good" and "Evil" are defined by the consciousness perceiving it in a given circumstance. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I have to agree with this. Good and Bad/ Good and Evil are very much based on perception and what we view as society as such.

After all, how many "Evil" men in history have thought they or what they were doing was evil? For example did Hitler ad the Nazis see themselves as evil, cruel men, or as sort of heroes fighting for a good, just cause? What about the crusades when hundreds of thousands upon thousands of innocent people were killed for the sake of a religion?

The same thing applies to other tyrants, war, and crusades. They all felt they had "good" on their side.

If you compare history books from different countries around the world on the same events I'm sure you will see this perception difference in a startling new light.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSnow View Post
    How can good and bad exist?
    What is your perception of their reality?
    Hello D:

I don't think good or bad exists. Who is to judge, anyway? Is it bad that I kill animals to eat? If you were the animal, I'll bet you'd think it would be.

What's that? The animal wouldn't think that, because animals don't think?? I'd agree with that... So, the only animal who perceives of good or bad is the intelligent one. Not only does he perceive it, he manufactures stories about it and where it comes from. That makes me think, man isn't so intelligent.

So, there's no good or bad in the sense that it's floating around like a cloud waiting to strike, or that it resides in somebody or thing who is just waiting to inflict it on somebody... Nope. It's only us, and how we treat each other. We're not any different than bugs in that regard.

excon
    aravind indian Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 05:54 AM

Good and bad had never exist. Only believed too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.

Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit? [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new pair of jazz shoes the other day for dance. My old jazz shoes were much cheaper (from payless) and fit on my feet just right. Now I just got capezio jazz shoes that are much nicer and have nicer leather and such. But they are tight is this normal? How should jazz shoes fit on your...

View more questions Search