Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrswhysall Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Stressed and overwhelmed! Wedding Planning!
    Hi there. I am getting married in less than a year and it is so stressful and overwhelming. I just need help. I need to know every little thing that I need for my wedding ceremony and reception. Every little teeny tiny detail is needed. I need all the nessesities. I am so scared that I am going to miss something. I refuse to hire a wedding planner because if I want it done the right way, I have to do it or it will never be the way that I plan it out in my head. PLEASE help me!! All answers are accepted and greatly appreciated!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 09:18 AM

Congratulations on your coming nuptials, but this day for you is supposed to be the happiest most relaxed day in your life and here you are stressing over details. For heavens sake, girl, leave it to a wedding planner, they are exceptionally talented at this sort of arrangement. You can still be in on the plans by keeping in touch with her. She will have to defer to you anyway, but you need to settle down so you can enjoy your day and your guests when it finally happens.

Ms tickle
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 07:50 PM
    You can also consult with a wedding planner, to ask your questions and get advice, but if you can swing it, they have contacts and the expertise to put it all together, without stress to you.

You might want to check online for sites that have information on how to plan a wedding and see what you can find.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 07:54 PM
    You are 17 correct? Maybe this is not the time for a wedding.

I do agree with a wedding planner, if you are anywhere near the New York/New Jersey area I can refer you to a low cost wedding planner who will take all of your wants into consideration.
    The D-Tales Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2009, 08:53 AM

One of the greatest misconceptions about Wedding Planners is that they will control everything and charge a fortune. If you get a GOOD planner, they will take your ideas, line up vendors for you to work with, work out contracts for you, and allow you to enjoy your wedding without worrying. Do you really want to worry about the DJ not showing up?
    It is YOUR day and a planner really isn't a luxury, it is a must for a totally worry free day.
    perdomo Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2009, 06:54 AM

I worked in the wedding business for over 20 years as a Video/photographer and consultant. Every wedding book mag has a "planner worksheet" inside start with that. Here are my suggestions on where to begin.

1. Set a date - this will give you a time line to work with.

2. Budget - how much money do you have and who is going to help.

3. Bridal Party - get this done - your bridal party will help you get what you need. You can assign "jobs" to each member so you can focus on other issues.

4. Choose a location for the wedding and reception - most places get filled up quick - You would need to decide where to have it.

5. Planning your wedding - buying a home are probably the two most stressful times in your life; try and not to take out frustrations on your Husband to be .

-- And you are not too young; I was dating my highshool sweetheart in our Jr and Sr. years, we moved out together and got married in 1991. (do the math) Yes it will be 19 years in February...

Good luck to you and try and have fun with your wedding - Sunglasses, construction hats, etc...
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 18, 2009, 01:27 PM

The number 1 rule to planning a wedding:

Do what you want - not what you think is "supposed" to be in a wedding.

The number 2 rule - there are no rules

Number 3 rule - ALL the details are minor in the long run.

:)
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
    If you can afford a wedding planner, this is a good route when hiring a really good one. I'm helping my friend plan her wedding for the spring. If your planning your own you can check these wedding planning tools, I'm trying to decide which one of these to use.
    Planning & Tools
    Wedding Planning tips - Wedding planning articles ? Free Wedding Planner Resource at Weddingdetails.com
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Nov 5, 2009, 12:17 PM

First pick a date, then choose your bridal party. THen pick the location (ceremony site and reception site), preacher, photographer, caterer, d.j, florist, and baker. Call a few to get price ranges. I liked to get the bridal party together to get the shoes and dresses so that way I knew everyone had everything and we wouldn't have anyone without or anyone rush ordering at the last minute. Same thing with the groom and groomsmen. Go to Discount Wedding Invitations and Accessories for Cheap! | Ann's Bridal Bargains they have some good prices on flower baskets, ring pillows, cake cutters, invitations, etc..

ALso when you go to look at locations ask them if they can refer you to anyone (dj's, photographers, or florists), I got 15% off on my flowers because the manager at the country club I got married at referred us. Same thing with the D.J, he was originally $850 but we got him down to $400 because he was bestfriends with the manager. So it doesn't hurt to ask around.

I had planned my wedding in three months, we actually just got married this past October 16th. What made it super easy was I picked a country club that had a ceremony site and reception site. The ceremony site was outside near a gorgeous pond and a separate reception hall. The country club included decorations (table linens, plate settings, arch, runner, ) as well as food, waiters/watresses, a bar with abartender, and a security guard all in one price. So try to find a place that offers as much as possible. It seems expensive at first but when you add up all those things separately you actually end up saving some money. Goodluck and congratulations. And don't worry or stress about it, you need to be enjoying yourself because it is over so quickly.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 06:52 PM

I have still been planning the wedding, but my friend has become slack and not returning my calls for the planning... so I have been considering just dropping it and not get stressed out about it if shese that busy to return a call.. idk
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Personally I think that when you get really caught up in details, it's easy to forget the details that are important like building relationships with your future in-laws, making sure your family feel your gratitude and love, planning your future and enjoying this time with your fiancé.

If the details are causing you so much stress, there are too many details.

And don't view this as your day to be revered and treated like a princess or to be demanding and nitpicky. This is a day for you to show gratitude, appreciation, love, and humility to other people and to make sure they know how much you love THEM.

Look your best and have a nice party, but what matters is that you are with the right man at the end of the day and that you've entered into marriage without putting either the family who brought you this far, nor the family you are forming with your new husband, into debt or hurtful rifts with parents, siblings or friends.

Somebody will do something stupid and incencitive, or look ridiculous, or say the wrong thing. Somebody will be late, somebody will give you a gift you hate. It's all part of it. Be gracious. Don't expect anyone to change who they are for your day.

Focus on having a wonderful time, and on the importance of the decision you are making and you will soon realize that the color of the napkins, or the length of your veil, or the shade of peach in the rose petals - nobody cares!
    Serenity2009 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Nov 15, 2009, 07:28 PM

Try to consult a wedding planner. I have done weddings for people who needed the same help as you. Try weddingwire.com you put your wedding date in and get customized timelines and budget worksheets. I am using it for my wedding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Planning a wedding ceremony... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! :) I'm planning a secular wedding ceremony... Does anyone have any good ideas for readings/poetry, or 'rites'/ceremonious acts that we could incorporate? I've thought about doing a hand-binding ceremony, including some music and poetry - though nothing is totally fixed yet, and...

Planning wedding/reception [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I am getting married in July and I am trying to save on money and really have a good time for my wedding. What types of entertainment that I could have at my wedding/reception. Yes, my wedding is mixed in with my reception. I have rented out a nice building, surrounded by trees,...

Overwhelmed by life. [ 4 Answers ]

Lately I've been really struggling. The little day to day responsibilities of my life seemlike too much. I have 2 young children, ages 2 & 3, and I work part-time as an administrative assistant (10 hours per week @ the office), plus approximately 10 additional hours per week at home/in the field....

Still married and planning a wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to get divorced fast? I live in California and I would like to remarry soon but I am not yet divorced. If I apply for a marriage license will my current marriage be listed? How about in Nevada? Can we just perform a ceremony now without a license and perform a civil ceremony...

Feeling overwhelmed [ 5 Answers ]

:( have you ever had one of those days? The x-husband & x-mother-in-law showed up at my work today to drop something off. He was upset I didn't bring our daughter over to his mothers last night for trick or treating. He had to ask in front of her why I didn't. He just has this ora about him...

View more questions Search