Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barbara713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Help with my biology
    In a contest over territory, two male deer confront each other with antlers lowered and engaged in butting heads until one of the two gets tired and wanders off into the forest. This sort of behavior can most accurately be thought of as
    I think it's D
    A- noncompetitive
    B-predatory
    C- cooperative
    D-selfish cooperation

Is it correct?? :confused:
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Hi Barbara,
    I'm not positive, but D is the only one that really makes any sense to me. They are vying or sparring for territory or mating rights, but in the end, there is an established code of conduct. The loser ends up moving on. So, I would definitely agree with D.

Oct 26, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Here is a link where someone asked your very same question:

http://experts.about.com/q/Biology-664/Biology-90.htm

I'm not sure their rationalization for B though. Deer are considered prey animals, not predators. And I should think it would be hard to classify this as a predatory situation when the loser is allowed to retreat at will.

Also, given that they did not list A, I take it we can definitively rule that one out. :)
    Barbara713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Thank you soooo much for your help... English is my second language so I have difficulty understanding everything

Oct 26, 2006, 03:16 PM
    No problem. You're welcome. Take care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Component present in every part of a loop [ 26 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugars?

Biology [ 9 Answers ]

If you're a fat molecule forming the inner layer of a cell membrane,your head will face toward ?

Biology [ 9 Answers ]

1. What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one That involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar? A. Raw materials C. Energy absorption B. Energy release D. Information 2. If you’re using an up-to-date light microscope to examine animal Cells, you won’t be able...

Biology [ 9 Answers ]

According to my hypothesis, bacteria that lived millions of years ago communicated by their body language. In scientific terms, the main problem with my hypothesis is that?

View more questions Search