Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winterjoy1976 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 06:46 AM
    SC Private Property Accident Directed by Property owner personnel
    Hello,

Here is my question and some back ground information. I was on private property when there was a medical emergency in progress. There were no signs, no alert, and no sirens. I was not aware of the situation. A person in uniform was blocking the property's exit and starts directing me frantically to move into another lane. The gesture was frantic as if I was in eminent danger so I moved and hit another car that came up from behind and around me. Apparently the person could not see the little car through my Hummer. The question is... If I am on private property, directed by property personnel, to move immediately whose fault is it. Property personnel also police the area and issue tickets. Was it not reasonable to expect I needed to follow his direction? Do I have any recourse, my insurance company is refusing to follow-up on this.

Thank you,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2009, 07:08 AM

If you were following the direction of someone presumed to be in authority you may have a cause of action against the person directing you. If that person was acting under the orders of the property management, then they, too may be liable.

Is your insurer refusing to pay damages or what?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 07:13 AM

No matter what the emergency personnel was directing you to do, I believe you had a responsibility to make certain that it was clear and safe for you to change lanes.

If you are on a City Street and a Firefighter or Police Officer waves you over you are expected to make sure it is safe - I don't see any difference on private property.

When you say your company is refusing to look into this - what have they said? Do they find you to be at fault?
    winterjoy1976 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 07:20 AM
    My insurance is paying damages, stating they are at fault because I was driving, but are refusing to go back to the property owner to recoup funds. This is my first accident in nine year and my concern is that it will increase my insurance rates.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2009, 07:23 AM

You can try filing suit yourself then. But you don't have a strong case. Whether the person giving you directions could see the car behind you or not, YOU should have been able to see it and acted accordingly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accident on Private Property [ 6 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could...

Accident on Private Property [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ontario and I would like to know what the laws are for an accident that occurs on private property. If someone was rear ended on private property which in this case is a driveway leading out of a shopping centre not at all a roadway. Is there a 24 or 48 hour period in which a claim and...

Accident on private property [ 2 Answers ]

If my car was backed into on private property, do I have to report it to the cops? Or can we exchange insurance information and handle it with out the cops?

Private Property Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I recently rear ended a car in a parking lot. It was private property and an officer was called, filled out a report, but said that the report would not be turned in to the DMV and no tickets were issued. He said he just wrote the report to speed up the process of switching information and whether...

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

View more questions Search