Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarafianl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 04:20 AM
    Difficulty starting up
    Hi Experts,

Yesterday my 1978 merc 280se (w116) would not start for an hour before finally turning over.

The car has been recently restored after sitting still for 15 years.

I know all the spark plugs and the HT leads were all replaced and are new. When testing with an earthed screwdriver on one of the leads there were loads of healthy sparks.

When the car is cold she will eventually start after about 5 seconds, but does sputter a bit. If I turn it off and on again say 10 seconds later she starts up in under a second dead.

It seems to be when I do short journeys of say half a mile, that the sluggish start becomes apparent. When it died yesterday, and got cooler over the hour, she started after the same 5 seconds but sluggish.

It has no issues once running.

I am thinking that the very old ignition coil and the LT lead on top of the coil might be the culprit? It sounds like something is overheating or electrical related?

Would you all agree with my idea?

Thanks
    Leigh

Check out some similar questions!

Difficulty Starting Sears Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Sears Lawn Tractor, and am having a slight problem starting it. When I turn the key, there is a one or two second delay, and it seems to be straining to start cranking. Then it starts a normal crank and turns over. Recently changed the battery, and tuned it up. Wires all seem ok, and...

Difficulty in concentrating [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have social anxiety. At home, I would be myself. Outside, especially school, I'm always anxious. I always have this shortness of breath feeling, like, even though h'm breathing, I'm not getting enough air. I find my chest very tense and my head always feel out of order. I'm always...

Difficulty in starting writing my Ph.D. Thesis [ 17 Answers ]

I have been studying my Ph.D. in chemistry for five and a half years. I got married on the second year and had the baby on the thirds year and lost my mom after having the baby. The project was troublesome and I needed to have technical skills to solve the technical problems so that I could use a...

Heater difficulty [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir: Our landlord just put in a hot water heater, and he fixed our heater. Now we are able to use hot water, and we are getting plenty of good heat. However, we are now experiencing loud noises from the heaters throughout the house. These sounds are within different times day and night,...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.