Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Microwaving Fresh, Cut Potatoes So They Aren't Hard or Rubbery?
    Hi, All!

The title is my question. I've tried putting water in with them; boiling them for a little while before putting them in the microwave; cutting them into smaller pieces; covering the bowl that they're in with a glass lid.

Still, they come out either too hard or rubbery.

Any tips or tricks to fixing fresh, cut potatoes in a microwave?

Thanks!
    jeffrey michael Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Aug 31, 2009, 09:23 AM

Well are you trying to make them soft like a baked potato ?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 02:04 PM
    If you are making them soft like a baked pot... I pierce them with a fork several times, put them on a paper towel on a plate and cook until they give just a little when squeezed. Then take then out and wrap in tin foil for 20 minutes and they will cook the rest of the way.

If for some reason you timed it wrong, you can do it over for a shorter time.

I believe you can do the same with cut.

You are over cooking them at this point, that's why they get rubbery and hard.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 01:23 AM
    Yes, I'm trying to microwave them so that they'll have the consistancy that's needed for mashed potatoes.

So, is there a certain length of time that's most desirable to "nuke" them?

I don't have a very powerful microwave oven, by the way...

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Depending on how many potatoes you put in. I usually start with 5 minutes and then feel them.

If I'm making baked, with 3 average sized potatoes, usually 8-10 minutes cooking time (I also have a slow micro) but squeeze to test before wrapping in tin foil.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 12:21 PM

Clough - just boil the cut up potatoes on the stove in a covered pot. This way you will not be nuking your food and it will not come out rubbery or dried up.

I threw my microwave oven away 2 years ago and have nothing but glass cookware in my home now. I also found something really nifty though that you may be interested in. It's a Rice Cooker/Steamer combo. I cook virtually everything in this little appliance. I have cooked cut up potatoes for mashed potatoes. I put some water into the bottom of the steamer and place the cut potatoes into the basket, close the lid and let the pressure cooker portion of the appliance take over. The potatoes come out tasting wonderful and not with that boiled potato taste either. If you like I'll PM you with the model I use and where to get it for less than $25 shipping included. I have 2 of these - one for one function like heating up leftovers and the other to heat up left over rice in the steamer basket.
    perdomo Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2009, 09:54 AM

On Sunday nights I place 10 whole potatoes direclty on the oven racks and bake them for about 1hr 15min. After they cooled I place them in the fridge to use through out the week - french fries, baked, diced, etc... Throw the microwave out.. :)
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Well, that could happen about not using a microwave again. However, what about the usage of electricity or gas using a conventional oven?

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Well, that could happen about not using a microwave again. However, what about the usage of electricity or gas using a conventional oven?

Thanks!
    I know I love my microwave...
    However I think it is cheaper for us to use the oven.
    It only costs us around $120 a year in gas, including delivering the cylinder to our house.

I still microwave my pastries though... yes I am strange... I don't like flaky pastry, I like it soggy :o

As for the potatoes, I'm not sure about nuking them for mash but for "baked" microwave potatoes we microwave them on a plate for about 10 minutes on medium, cut them open and fill them with things like beans, cheese and coleslaw... yum.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Hi, All!

Where I'm house and dog sitting, they have a much nicer microwave than I do. The potatoes seem to come out just fine!

I wonder why that is?

Gas oven cheaper than using the microwave? Would someone please provide some guidance concerning that?

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 03:59 AM

I got curious and found this site...
    It compares an electric oven to a microwave...
    I don't know how accurate it is as it would all depend on how long you use each appliance for but it gives you an idea.

Microwave or Oven?
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 11:40 PM
    Hi, shazamataz!

I'll check out what's on the site.

Thanks!
    Jojo1234567z Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 09:57 AM
    I have put a paper towel slightly damp below and on top of the potato. I usually go for 6 min. If you do 2 potatoes I found that I have to add 3-4 min just for 1 additional. The dampened paper towel thing especially the top one seems to make a huge difference. I tried it without and the potato stuck to the plate! When I use this method, I can usually take a fork and smash the potato down flat if I want to. It kind of makes the micro all "steamy" just f.y.I. there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to boil potatoes? [ 5 Answers ]

Every time I boil potatoes for buttered parsley potatoes or potato salad they turn out mushy on the outer part and just done enough in the middle whether I cut the potatoes up or leave Them whole. What is the best way to boil them so they stay firm but done enough? Thanks

Freezing potatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to freeze freshly peeled raw potatoes?

Potatoes [ 4 Answers ]

Do you add lime to soil for growing potatoes

BBQ Potatoes [ 5 Answers ]

I have been told to put a metal skewer through the jacket potatoes before I bbq them by my moaning father in law... Does this make any difference and if so whyyy!:)

Microwaving veggies - do they lose vitamins? [ 4 Answers ]

I read awhile ago that microwaving frozen veggies robs them of their nutrients and vitamins. Is this true?

View more questions Search