Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 14, 2003, 07:45 AM
    Pit Bulls are pests!
    To me the pit bulls are pests.
    I can't walk down an alley without worrying about getting bitten. When I see anything resembling a pit bull on a leash I am forced to take evasive action. In my opinion, they should be bred out of existence.

Why aren't they?
    rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2003, 12:47 PM
    Pit Bulls are pests!
    Their a very well known species of dogs They are fighter that why most people likes them To me ugly as a post but some don't see it that way I think we should get over it There here and to stay there is nothing you can do about it.
    loveland80537 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 2, 2004, 08:45 AM
    Pit Bulls are pests!
    Unfortunately, you appear to be one of those people that if they don't like something, they want it exterminated. Are you German, by chance?

I know I'm wasting my time in trying to explain to you, but Pit Bulls are not the problem, it's their owners. I have owned a Pit Bull I rescued from a shelter. She had a very hard life and would have had every reason to be mean. But someone in her early development had raised her right and she didn't have a mean bone in her. Pit Bulls are popular dogs with gang bangers and they MAKE them mean. Pits are not born killers. I've seen very aggressive German Shepherds, Rotweillers and Dobermans. Should they be exterminated, too?

Pits have a bad reputation and sadly people like you promote it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2004, 11:15 AM
    Pit Bulls are pests!
    People have the right to walk any dog in a public place as long as they have it under control and do not let it attack or even threaten to attack other people innocently going about their business. If you are simply afraid of any dog, either live with it, or get over it. If the dogs are a real threat to people in general, the local authorities are not doing their job. Complain to them about the owners of the out of control dogs. If they don't listen, complain to your representatives and the news media.

Too often bureaucrats take the easy way out, banning this or that because of a handful of irresponsible users. They pass unenforceable laws the majority of people do not support. That erodes both our freedom and respect for the law.

Pit Bulls, unless trained to, are not aggressive toward people, but other dogs. Ban Pit Bulls, and those people wanting an aggressive dog will simply find another breed.
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jul 29, 2004, 09:18 AM
    Pit Bulls are pests!
    Hi We can debate about this subject for hours. We can blame the pit bull behavior on the owners all day long. But Pit Bull are often inbreed which makes them crazy. My cousin used to breed pit bulls and it in there nature too be mean. O'course u can train them to obey but there instincts make them unpredictable at times.
    yasiyazz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2005, 08:06 PM
    Pit bulls are accually really cool
    Hey I have a pit bull and she's the nicest dog ever but most of them are bad because their owners train them that way . It's not the dogs fault it's the trainers fault
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    People have the right to walk any dog in a public place as long as they have it under control and do not let it attack or even threaten to attack other people innocently going about their business.
    I agree with this completely. However, I would like to see a law which would promote killing a dog who bites/attacks someone without a reason, as well as giving quite a big penalty (fine, or however it's called in english) to their owners. It would also make those who do not know enough about dogs, but want an "aggressive" (or at least, a dog with "aggressive" appearance) dog just because it's "cool", think twice before deciding to keep such a dog.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
    A Pit-bull story
    A year and a half ago I went to adopt a cute fuzzy puppy. As I walked the alley way I came across a dog that had been moved from shelter to shelter. This dog was originally found wandering the streets of Newark New Jersey. She had been moved from Newark to Tinton Falls and then too Lacey Township at the Pop Corn Zoo. She was emaciated. She had an enlarged heart and a heart murmur. She also had a prolapsed uterus. Here ears where scared from biting flies when she arrived at the first shelter. She had been used for breeding and when her body gave out they threw her out on the street. She was only 3 years old. It is sad what people can do to an animal. Along with all of that she had been abused by a man and had severe trust problems with men. She had been in the shelter system for well over a year. We went many times to visit her; she had many issues that we worked out before I took her home. Working with many people our dog has learned too trust humans again. Miss Piggy is by best friend and my life. As she a bounces threw our home, play with her toys, hangs from her rope in the back yard and licks the cats to death. I can smile and say I saved one. It is not the breed that is bad it the people that teach the dog to be aggressive.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2005, 08:09 PM
    So we have to corral the stupid people away from society and let the pit bulls rip them apart

Look, I KNOW owners behavior can affect a dogs behavior...

On the other side my wife's best friends daughter (follow that) was mauled by a pit bull. I KNOW it can happen with other breeds, I know it can be the fault of the owner training...

But you better believe I would not let a pit bull around my two year old son.

Call me an ignorant fool who wants to kill off a breed? Not really, but since we cannot stop stupid people from owning pit bulls then I'd just rather not have them around
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Jul 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
    Pitifully uneducated and narrow minded
    :confused: I feel sorry for those of you who are so uneducated and narrow minded. I am a dog lover. I ahave 5 pet dogs and I am a breeder. I breed Australain Cattle Dogs. But my #1 breed is the pit bull. I don't breed them because of the cruel uneducated people of the world who would fight them or treat them like the enemy. I have a 5 yr old female red nose. She is the most loving, gentle dog I have ever owned or known. She is like a 2nd mother to my Cattle Dog litters. I have been looked down upon for having her in many ways. I have had to lie about her breed in order to rent a home. I have been turned away at groomers and I have people walk on the other side of the road when she passes by. It is all sad ignorance. I have a chiuauah who is meaner than she could ever think of being. A mean dog is created by cruelty and ignorance. They do not come into the world, a fresh, tiny puppy, with the urge to bite and mame. They are conditioned through long hours of tortureous training for long periods. Any dog can fight, certain people just think the pit bull looks better doing it. Perhaps someday, the ignorant of the world will focous their attention on another unfortunate breed and give the pit bull the chance they deserve to be the loving family companion they desire to be. I remember when it was the rottwieler who was the bad- killer on all of the ghetto shirts and posters. That in itself shows you what a fad it can be. Unfirtunatly, it is our loving pets who suffer. :(
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2005, 08:37 PM
    ** a pissed off chihuahua isn't going to rip out my throat! **

Friend's daughter was playing in HER FRONT YARD and did nothing to cause the attack.

Were the owners responsible. YES. They were found guilty and paid a lot of money. The girl has had operations and the scars are still there, but much less noticeable.

I'm not saying to eliminate the breed. But if I hurt your feelings because I cross the street... if you cannot get service at a business because of the breed... TOUGH. Suck it up. You chose the breed of a dog that is perceived as dangerous by many, including the scarred daughter of my friend.

** a pissed off chihuahua isn't going to rip out my throat! **

Jul 30, 2005, 11:47 PM
    Though it is unfortunate that your young friend was attacked, it is the responsibility of the owner, not the dog. It was raised poorly. And as to my feeling of being turned away from establishments, it is their loss, not mine. They missed the opportunity to bathe a well behaved bath lovin' girl. And I feel sorry for their ignorance and small mindedness. My point was that due to the mentality of others, the breed suffers.

Ps. You should try to have the patience and temperament of the pit bull instead of yelling at people. You might be better heard. I am a pit bull owners educator at a local shelter. I educate people wishing to adopt on the true, loving nature of the animal. You catch more bees with honey. Have a nice day :D
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2005, 09:32 PM
    You call me and others "Pitifully uneducated and narrow minded"... and then have the gall to tell me to be more even tempered? I've acknowledged that the owners are a big part of the problem.

My wife once told her friend " 'I'm sorry you're an ' is not an apology". The dog, not the owner, mauled my friend's daughter. The owner bears responsibility. The dog was still the source of the attack.

But don't think for one minute I'll be reserved where my child's safety is of concern. I'd rather err on the side of being narrow minded.

Almost laughable.
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2005, 10:04 PM
    The american pit bull is not a recognized breed by the akc or ckc
    So making statements that blame a non existent breed as being a pest is very short sighted.

Many dogs are aggressive and injure and kill people every year. The reasons are

1. bad socialization - puppys must experience strange people, kids and environments so they learn to look to their owners to respond aggressively or not. Many owners treat their dogs like their kids and believe that the dog will grow out of bad behaviour. The dog mimics its owner. Eachh state should mandate obedience licence for a state approved obedance school for all dog owners so the puppy to dog gets a good education on how to behave towards dogs, kids, animals and people. The dog should be apart of your life not you a part of his or hers!

2. bad choice of puppy - puppys have a social order they develop right after birth an alfa or dominate dog is normaly more aggressive and need more leadership from his or her owner to behave correctly. These dog are not suited for small children. Always consult with a registered breeder the needs of your family and your expectations for the dog.

3. breeding - buying a mixed breed can be very rewarding or not
    Buying a purebred at least you can research your needs and pick a dog that's right for your family.

4. bad planing - any pet is a big resonciblity every family member must particpate in the puppys to adult dogs life. Many adults buy a dog as a means of trying to make theire kids take on responcibilites and fail to monitor and proved both kids and pet proper behavior.

5. feeding proper nutrition to you dog and teaching him or her that food is not to prevoke and aggression response - your kids should be able to reach into dogs mouth or around their dish and not get bit.

6. good dog behaviour - your dog lives with you and often has little contact with other dogs. They need to know how to act like a dog around other dogs in a non aggressive behavior.

7. your dog is not a babysitter - when buddy gets unhappy he can't talk about it he growls then bites. Young kids don't know when they go too far that's your job to supervise and make them take a timeout. Reinforce good behavior on your dog deal with bad behaviour swiftly . Always monitor your dog and your kids!!

In the end a dog is 50% environment and 50% genetics. Learning proper dog behavior will reduce your risks to injury. Making dog owners and their dogs train at an approved training center will eliminate the problem. The dog owner is the boss the dog must look to the owner to know how to respond!

Aug 4, 2005, 09:58 AM
    You thought before you spoke :)
    If more people were able to think before they speak, as you did, we may not have 1/2 the problems we do in society. My pit bull and I thank you on behalf of all dogs getting the short end of the stick. I am a breeder, though not of pit bulls (due to the grave mistreatment which can occour). I breed Australian cattle dogs. They have a very strong personality and so I pay very cole attention to their "place" in the litter and they are placed in homes accordingly. The dominant ones are placed in working, herding homes, the submissives in single family, etc. and my litters are socialized as soon as possible with other dogs, cats, children and car rides. On occasion, I have the opportunity to see a puppy from my litter when it is older and the owner and I are always pleased. The same routine for breeding holds true for any dog, in general. I do recognize that all breeds have their special needs. For ex. The cattle dog is high energy, so left un attended in the back yard causes boardom and even mental problems from lack of contact and stimulous. As long as potetial owners are educated to the breeds needs and hold up to those needs, you will get a great animal.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 26, 2005, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    I agree with this completely. However, I would like to see a law which would promote killing a dog who bites/attacks someone without a reason, as well as giving quite a big penalty (fine, or however it's called in english) to their owners. It would also make those who do not know enough about dogs, but want an "aggressive" (or at least, a dog with "aggressive" appearance) dog just because it's "cool", think twice before deciding to keep such a dog.
    Well said. I agree. It's not the dogs. If people treat and handle the dogs right, there would be less fear of them, pitbulls or others. :cool:
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Sep 26, 2005, 12:51 AM
    It's been said numerous times, but being the "pit bull" owner that I am, I feel the urge to reply. Like the EDUCATED people said, not all pit bulls are vicious, not all maul anything they see sight in. It's a learned behavior. A pit bull puppy is no different from a lab puppy or a golden. People are so obsessed with what the media feeds them. So quick to jump at their opinions and follow what they are told like drones. Statistics show that pit bulls account for fewer bites than any other breed, GSD's, Chows, Labs (amongst many others) account more for bites. It's only the pit bulls that are more known because of the severity of it all. To top it off most arnt pure bred pit bulls, the pit bull gene is dominant therefore a mutt being 10% pit bull would look like a pit bull more than anything. Also, no thanks to the news that always seems to have to make known the "bad" news, alikes to a shooting on such side of town etc. My dogs would never ever think of harming anything. Like one person listed all the factors of what the causes of a "vicious" pit bull are; it varies, but it would be no different than any other breed. To annihilate the breed would just be absurd, it would only cause more problems. Genocide is right? Is that really fair? There's murders, rapings, & robberies that occur every day by numerous races of people but we'd rather spend our time banning a breed of dog, I don't think we would ban any races right? Case, in point to all this jibberish, what makes a pit bull more worthy of being abolished than any other breed of dog that bites? Just makes me think, if you were to see a growling GSD would you go "aww" ? Stop and think WHY law enforcement actually uses these dogs.

Own a properly bred pit bull and you'll realize what your missing out on :)

PS - All registries register the American Pit Bull Terrier except for the AKC (which registers Amstaff's). Pit bull is not a breed in it self.

Ehh I guess I'm done...
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2005, 08:18 PM
    May be its time to register the breed by akc and set a standert for comfomation, apearance, stamina and behaviour. Instead of banning all bull terrior
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2005, 10:03 PM
    All this breed crap is a bunch of hooey. Last Saturday I was at a dog festival and took advantage of it to get my Aster's Canine Good Citizen certification. I was very happy to see the first 2 dogs were ''nasty, vicious'' Dobermans.

Oct 7, 2005, 11:05 PM
    Pit is a slang term
    jennapbt-you are correct, the "pit bull" is not a registered dog. The term "pit bull" comes from the origin of the old "sport" of pit fighting. The actual breed names are american stafforshire terrier and stafforshire bull terrior. Both of which are recognized breeds. And as the owner and lover the bull terrior, I agree with you in that they are a wonderful breed that does not get the recognition it deserves. They are a precious and often misrepresented and mistreated animal. I remember about 10-15 years ago I believe it was, the rottwieler (SP? ) and the doberman were the "bad to the bone" gangsters dog of choice with its face on all the t-shirts and in all the rap videos. Its just the misfortune of the amstaff's to be the current symbol of violence in the ghetto. You don't see any family oriented upstanding people with "vicious" pit's, just in the ghetto. My dog has never worn a lockpad and chain or run the tread mill with a racoon at the end. She is a diva, she has a leopard collar and just likes to have her butt scratched. That's my two cents on the subject...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit bulls and mastiffs [ 6 Answers ]

Are pit bulls and mastiffs the same breed of dog? I was watching a show about dogs on animal planet and the narrator said at one point, "pit bulls or mastiffs..." as if the two words were synonymous. Anyway, just wondering. If they are the same breed, that's very interesting because as an artist...

Preventing walking pests from climbing legged furnatures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I preventing walking pests (e.g. ants) from climbing legged furnatures (table)? Would rubbing some petroleum jelly on the lower portion of the table prevent the ants from climbing?

Jordan's lowest scoring game with Bulls? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know: a) when this was? b) how many he scored? c) who was the other team? And d) who played defense on him? It's bugging the heck out of my roommate and I and Googled for about 30 minutes trying to find the answer. Thanks.

View more questions Search