Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    How sick can a person be, comparing an 'animal" to a race of people, this is the most racist comparision I have heard on this site.
    I agree, that was a really racist comparison! Dogs and people are not the same thing at all...

I was involved in a hold-up once, when I worked at a convenience store in high school. The two men who robbed us were of a different race than myself. I was also bit by a dog 2 years ago. The difference is, I don't hate everyone of that race, but I AM frightened of strange dogs now. As much as I like nice friendly dogs, a dog isn't a person, and if it's not well-trained you never know what it's going to do, it's unpredictable. But I don't judge people by those same standards... that's saying that all people of that race are wild animals or robbers or out to get you... ugh.

For the record, I'm not against pit bulls though, as long as they are controlled and well treated.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 27, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Pittbulls are so adorable with their cute wittle face. I don't find them scary at all. In fact if one attacked me I wouldn't notice cause Id be laughing my hiney off at the cute little dog trying to get rough. I agree with you chuck and orange. That all sounded racist to me. Why should it be amazing that someone can walk down the street with another race? It sounds like dude thinks they're something to be afraid of and we should all applaude him for this great feat of courage his wife has shown. Toon in next time to see what amazing feat she does next. Tickets go on sale now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 08:43 AM
    Dogs
    Sadly I live in an area of the country ( not that it may not be everywhere)
    Where people fight dogs. They are trained and breed to kill each other.

They tie chains to the dogs and have them pull large truck tires around for building strength, they beat and abuse these dogs often. And when they are no good anymore they kill or abandon these dogs.

These are the often the poor quite "doggies" you may see wondering down the road.

They can tear and do serious damage to a person in minutes. Not just a bite, but even then if you are biten and the dog has not medical records, you can be in for some painful treatment or if the dog is caught the animal will be destroyed for testing.

*** they do basically the same thing with roosters also, but you don't see many of them wondering down the street
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 27, 2005, 08:47 AM
    Why ?
    This post drives me crazy!
    It is not the breed it is the people that breed them!!!!!!!

I have a KILLER PIT BULL in my house; her name is Miss Piggy, a rescue off the streets of Newark NJ. She spends her day in my home with our bunny Christopher Robbins and two cats Peek-a-Boo and Peatoo, running around the house loose and the most she has ever done is lick them to death. She also baby-sits the guinea pigs that come into my home that are abused abandoned and neglected by the human race.

Miss piggy when found was emaciated and dehydrated. When further examined by the vet she was found to have an enlarged heart and a heart murmur, the vet said it was from breeding her at an early age, the reason they feel she was left on the street to die was she also had a prolapsed uterus from over breeding, she did not ask for the life she was handed, it was us, the human race that does this to this breed. Any animal can be made to be mean. She sat in a NO-KILL shelter for two years before we adopted her. They are not KILLERS, the people that train them are.

CHAINING a dog with a heavy chain is cruel, if you have a dog that gets loose, build a kennel that will hold it or better yet give it to some one that can handle it. Miss Piggy stays in her home, in our home and is hand walked because we care and love her.

If you can not care for your dog the way you would want to be treated you should not have a dog or a cat, horse rat, hamster or anything else.

The people that train the pit bulls to be a fighter should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and not allowed to plea it down to a simple fine and walk a way with a mister meaner.

Only when we change the laws for people that do this, will the pit-bull be allowed to become the loving family member it is.

Why is tethering dogs inhumane?
    Dogs are naturally social beings who thrive on interaction with human beings and other animals. A dog kept chained in one spot for hours, days, months, or even years suffers immense psychological damage. An otherwise friendly and docile dog, when kept continuously chained, becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and often aggressive. In many cases, the necks of chained dogs become raw and covered with sores, the result of improperly fitted collars and the dogs' constant yanking and straining to escape confinement. Some chained dogs have collars embedded in their necks, the result of years of neglect at the end of a chain.
    Please read the following link about chaining your dog

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Facts.htm

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.cfm
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Sadly I live in an area of the country ( not that it may not be everywhere)
    where people fight dogs. They are trained and breed to kill each other.

They tie chains to the dogs and have them pull large truck tires around for building strenght, they beat and abuse these dogs often. and when they are no good anymore they kill or abandon these dogs.
    OMG that's sick! Isn't it illegal to do that to the dogs? I'm sure it's illegal here, although if it does happen here at all, I don't think it's often... at least I've never heard of it. And that's something that would be on the local news for sure, if it was occurring. Cock-fights are illegal here too, as far as I know. And you don't ever see dogs wandering around in my city, unless they've gotten loose by mistake or something. Same thing with cats actually. The city has gone a bit overboard and there is a by-law saying that all animals, cats and dogs MUST be licensed and must not be allowed to run loose. If your animal (cat or dog) is picked up, you have to pay a $200 fine to get it out of the pound. The animal control officers even had a door to door campaign, where they'd come and knock on people's doors at random and ask if their pet was licensed. If not they would be told to license it within a week or else face fines! Anyway with all this freaky control I don't think people are being attacked by animals much.

Oh and when I got bit by the dog 2 years ago, that was on a farm, and it was a sheepdog. Actually I don't think I've ever seen a pit bull in real life, but I agree with crankiebabie they have cute faces. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Cute
    Yes they are cute and I have even know a nice one. A fellow priest here in town had one. He had to get rid of it under the new city rules since he could not afford to build an approved pen and he would not be able to ever let it run loose around his property which is not fenced.

But believe me first there are few police in most rural areas and outside city limits there are no animal control at all. In the city there is one young boy who likes to use his dart gun to catch strays.

I got a dog off a sheep farm about a year ago. I had a neighbor who disliked my racially mixed marriage and perhaps my political views, so ( OK I can't prove it was him exactly) but someone tried to poison my dog twice and then finally shot him with a gun.

Well the sherff office did sind a patrol car over, he took some notes, did not take any evidence said a detective would be out in a week or two to investigate. Yep, about 3 months now and no one has came out, I was told they could not report it as a race crme because they did not want it to sound serious. Just shooting my dog was not that big of deal.

My dog was never out of its pen and not on a lesh.

So like many things in the rual area, the officers being paid 7 or 8 bucks a hour with no health inisurance benefits are not going to make their good ole buddies mad and stop them from just hurting some animals.

You can merely drive down a lot of the roads and see the roosters tied with leg ropes in rows and rows using old 55 gallon plactic containser cut in half for a house.

Of course criminal behavior is always there, in Alabama when I used to live there, we had a dry county ( no drinking) but if you went to the correct place and went into the back room , anything you wanted.
    Everyone knew it was there, but no one wanted to do anything.

Laws are not worth anything unless enforced. I will change this slightly, take illegal immigrants, police do not even hold them when they find them, because no one want to do anything in our courts with them.

DUI, when the courts only slap their hands, are we really trying to stop it?

As with these laws
    pimpyfly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Ignorance
    After reading my post again and also reading those in response I do see that it was not only a bad analogy but wrong altogether. My apologies to all offended. I never meant it to be racist or to have a racist overtone but it did. Again my apologies...
    But to eliminate a specific breed altogether simply for how it was taught by its owner... That's sick outright and beyond ignorant. I could teach a labrador to attack other dogs as well - should they be tagged aggressive Fr_chuck? Lhapso ahpso's are notorious for disliking children but because the bite pales in comparison to the "pitbulls" are they spared from your outlaw? Nowhere in your post did you speak about how wrong the owners had been in teaching the dogs to be aggressive towards other dogs. Simply that they are bred to be aggressive (an owner made trait). Maybe its just a common mindset in your town that even if you teach the dog it should know better than to attack people.
    As others have said leave it alone - if you do not like a specific breed then do not own one. If it makes you uncomfortable to walk on the same side of the street with a specific dog, bird or fish for that matter than so be it - no harm done.

Also Fr_Chuck rather than petitioning the outlawing of dogs spend more time petitioning for a stronger police force, along with better animal control and possibly a crack down on animal fights and cruelty in your town rather than being ignorant and acting like it's the dogs fault alone and banning them altogether. Turning a blind eye towards those that bred the animals to be aggressive will not solve the problem unless maybe YOU don't want to make anyone's good ole buddies mad because they are hurting some animals. Pathetic to say the least.

Another thing please change your name you are NOTHING close to a Friar.

Dec 28, 2005, 11:06 AM
    Okay its nice that you come back to apologize but to jump on Fr chuck is really uncalled for :mad:
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpyfly
    another thing please change your name you are NOTHING close to a Friar.
    It stands for Father actually not Friar, and he's a priest, and "Father" is the correct title for a priest.

Dec 28, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Please
    Father-friar what was I thinking:confused:

Anyhow his stature in life makes it OK? -- you got to be kidding me.

My apologies are for my ignorance in posting without thinking - I didn't do it to earn anyone's approval simply to acknowledge right from wrong.

Father Chucks supposed wisdom should allow greater insight in the matter yet it shows a complete lack of. Should I repent now?? PLEASE

To outlaw a breed of dog? Would our lord almighty allow this -- I truly think not! Lets do the math. If all the American states outlawed "pitbull" breeds what do you think would happen to those dogs found?? Exported to another country? I think not... only death awaits those dogs. And for what... fear breeds ignorance and ignorance can inflict anyone Fathers included.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 12:40 PM
    Well I don't personally think pitbulls should be outlawed, but if someone else (such as Fr Chuck) thinks they should be, then that's his opinion. You have the right to disagree with him, but you shouldn't attack him personally for his beliefs.

Dec 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Daz right you tell them. I don't think its all about the beliefs its all about someone getting on somebody who got on them. If anyone understands my language here. I just learned it today.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 28, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Unfortunately it's the human factor that's the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    To me the pit bulls are pests.
    I can't walk down an alley without worrying about getting bitten. When I see anything resembling a pit bull on a leash I am forced to take evasive action. In my opinion, they should be bred out of existence.

Why aren't they?
    Animals have natural instincts that can either be nurtured or altered by humans. I'd rather live with a dozen four-legged 'family members' than be accosted in the street by an unleashed two-legged thief, murderer, rapist, child-abuser, terrorist, etc. (who I wish could be made to become extinct - but that's only my opinion). We have a policeman and his dogs live in our street, and also a few rottweilers, and pitbulls, who all get along better than their two-legged neighbors who constantly have something to complain or gripe about. None of these dogs ever bother our cats in the neighborhood either, even though most humans think that cats and dogs don't mix well. Those humans who train their dogs to be mean do it for profit or are just plain evil. And as Labman said, if pitbulls no longer exist, there will be other breeds that these humans will use as an extension of their own meaness. I would suggest you think again of what you should be scared of more.

Dec 28, 2005, 01:06 PM
    My New Title is Gen. Pimpyfly
    You are right Orange

To clarify I am not attacking his beliefs regarding his stature. Ive only responded to his belief in outlawing a breed of dogs, and given his stature, more thought should be put into community development to prevent the mistreatment and abuse of dogs and roosters alike rather than condemning them. In a previous post I took the name Fr_Chuck simply as that a name therefor did not apply any credibility to it (its a forum for crying out loud). But seems as it may, he is a priest (still no credibility but ill play along) yet my opinion stands strong.

Good ole buddies... lol

The problem in Fr Chucks town is not stray dogs attacking hapless children or adults -- its no COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 28, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Absolutely Super!
    Quote Originally Posted by lilfyre
    This post drives me crazy!
    It is not the breed it is the people that breed them!!!!!!!

I have a KILLER PIT BULL in my house; her name is Miss Piggy, a rescue off the streets of Newark NJ. She spends her day in my home with our bunny Christopher Robbins and two cats Peek-a-Boo and Peatoo, running around the house loose and the most she has ever done is lick them to death. She also baby-sits the guinea pigs that come into my home that are abused abandoned and neglected by the human race.

Miss piggy when found was emaciated and dehydrated. When further examined by the vet she was found to have an enlarged heart and a heart murmur, the vet said it was from breeding her at an early age, the reason they feel she was left on the street to die was she also had a prolapsed uterus from over breeding, she did not ask for the life she was handed, it was us, the human race that does this to this breed. Any animal can be made to be mean. She sat in a NO-KILL shelter for two years before we adopted her. They are not KILLERS, the people that train them are.

CHAINING a dog with a heavy chain is cruel, if you have a dog that gets loose, build a kennel that will hold it or better yet give it to some one that can handle it. Miss Piggy stays in her home, in our home and is hand walked because we care and love her.

If you can not care for your dog the way you would want to be treated you should not have a dog or a cat, horse rat, hamster or anything else.

The people that train the pit bulls to be a fighter should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and not allowed to plea it down to a simple fine and walk a way with a mister meaner.

Only when we change the laws for people that do this, will the pit-bull be allowed to become the loving family member it is.

Please read the following link about chaining your dog

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Facts.htm

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.cfm

All of us real animal lovers know that it's the human beast that uses the poor animals as an extension of their inner weaknesses and hate, even to the hidden racists within them. A four-legged stray will love and protect you when treated right. A two-legged would rob you or kill you in your sleep - so guess who's going to be welcome in my home.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Fr Chuck, you just proved my point..
    This might not be the appropriate thread for this post of mine, But, after reading your post, it made me so mad and sad at the same time. Humans, not animals are the worst beasts on this earth. They show no loyalty to a family as the normal animal instincts do, and it's the human factor that destroys everything that's good about them. In Georgia, we had a neighbor who had an albino boxer and he trained this dog to hate all people that were not caucasian. Was this animal initially born with this hatred? I don't think the human owner was born that way either, but was also trained to hate - through spoiled mother's milk filled with hatred and fear of anything different. Here we are, it's almost 2006, and humanity has not changed much, except instead of using not only other religions as a scapegoat for their failures, but also helpless animals to harm others due to the hatred and frustration within. I agree that the law enforcement agencies worldwide are not paid enough to protect their people - but that too is due to greedy and currupt humans, not animals. You, in your profession teach love and caring for your fellow-men, and it makes me sad that there are some that treat you and your family ill just because of their fear, stupidity and hate. When I encounter people like that, I wonder if their souls are even worth saving and laud you for your strength.
    I'm getting off my soapbox now, and wishing you and yours a Happy New Year and many more in peace and tranquility.

Chery
    germansheperdlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
    You people!
    okay, well I own a pure bred german sheperd who weighs 130 lbs. Anyone who thinks that german sheperds are vicouis or mean dont know anything about dogs. Ive been mauled by a pitt bull and once a golden retriever, but that doesnt keep me from loving dogs. I still love both kinds of dogs, but mostly german sheperds. I have grown up with german sheperds since I was born. My parents would lay me down on the floor on my belly when I was a newborn and our german sheperd back then watched over me. She was very nice and she never harmed anyone, except for the time she bit the cows ear off, since we lived on a farm. Now I have a 5 almost 6 year old german sheperd whos name is Esko. If you think hes overweight, hes not, hes actually a little bit underweight, since hes a pure bred, long haired german sheperds. I can do whatever I want with him. Ofcourse if strangers come on his property he barks and growls but he has never bitten anyone, or come close to it. When my dad tries to take his food away, he growls and shows his teeth, but thats just a game to him, otherwise he doesnt eat. Like others have said, it all depends on how you raise the dog(s). it doesnt matter what breed they are. I still love pit bulls and golden retrievers. I hate it when people call my dog a beast cause hes not.
    He lets our neighbors kids do whatever they want to him, one time, one of the kids shoved their fingers up his nose, and started poking at his eyes, and all esko did was wiggle his nose and close his eyes, but that was it.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Did you know that the mosquitoes are responsible for killing more people on the earth than any other one thing Malaria is responsible for more than 1 million deaths a year. Malaria is carried by mosquitoes they also carry Dengue fever, West Nile. More people are killed each year by donkeys, than in plain crashes
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 10:59 AM
    I am sick of this thread, or at least the people that have their mind made up and disregard the facts showing banning Pit Bulls would only hurt the good owners, and do nothing to help the problem. There are people out there that will process new information and reach logical conclusions.

I decided the next time this thread came up, I would suggest a way for the good dog owners to be more persuasive. It will help with some people if you can say your mean, nasty, man eating Pit Bull is an AKC Certified Canine Citizen. It is an easy test, and the dog doesn't have to be registered. I took advantage of test session to have my old Lab certified. If I quit wasting so much time here, I could maybe do more visits to nursing homes and so forth, and the CGC might make it easier. Likely your local kennel club does testing at some of their events. For more information I even took time to dig up a specific link,
    http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/progra...RCH_BUTTON.Y=0 I have already suggested this to lilfrye.

Any properly trained, socialized dog should be able to pass the test. I dislike, well maybe, hate and despise mean dogs of any breed, and more so the people that train them or even tolerate them. If you can't train your dog to pass the CGC test, you should at least spay/neuter it and complaint to the breeder. There is no excuse for breeding or owning aggressive dogs. Since it is difficult to sort out genetics and early socialization, the best thing is to spay/neuter all aggressive dogs. That security dogs need to be aggressive is another myth. It really upsets me when I have my dogs out in public and encounter people that are afraid of them.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 25, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am sick of this thread, or at least the people that have their mind made up and disregard the facts showing banning Pit Bulls would only hurt the good owners, and do nothing to help the problem. There are people out there that will process new information and reach logical conclusions.

I decided the next time this thread came up, I would suggest a way for the good dog owners to be more persuasive. It will help with some people if you can say your mean, nasty, man eating Pit Bull is an AKC Certified Canine Citizen. It is an easy test, and the dog doesn't have to be registered. I took advantage of test session to have my old Lab certified. If I quit wasting so much time here, I could maybe do more visits to nursing homes and so forth, and the CGC might make it easier. Likely your local kennel club does testing at some of their events. For more information I even took time to dig up a specific link,
    http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/progra...RCH_BUTTON.Y=0 I have already suggested this to lilfrye.

Any properly trained, socialized dog should be able to pass the test. I dislike, well maybe, hate and despise mean dogs of any breed, and more so the people that train them or even tolerate them. If you can't train your dog to pass the CGC test, you should at least spay/neuter it and complaint to the breeder. There is no excuse for breeding or owning aggressive dogs. Since it is difficult to sort out genetics and early socialization, the best thing is to spay/neuter all aggressive dogs. That security dogs need to be aggressive is another myth. It really upsets me when I have my dogs out in public and encounter people that are afraid of them.
    I agree, security dogs are not trained to kill, but to protect, and if they have to drop a person down and hold them to do so, then so be it. I hate the humans that purposely train dogs to kill, and think that not only the dogs, but owners should be neutered, but that's only MY opinion and I don't think that they should be allowed to pass on their hatred and fear and insecurity to their children - maybe that would stop the vicious chain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit bulls and mastiffs [ 6 Answers ]

Are pit bulls and mastiffs the same breed of dog? I was watching a show about dogs on animal planet and the narrator said at one point, "pit bulls or mastiffs..." as if the two words were synonymous. Anyway, just wondering. If they are the same breed, that's very interesting because as an artist...

Preventing walking pests from climbing legged furnatures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I preventing walking pests (e.g. ants) from climbing legged furnatures (table)? Would rubbing some petroleum jelly on the lower portion of the table prevent the ants from climbing?

Jordan's lowest scoring game with Bulls? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know: a) when this was? b) how many he scored? c) who was the other team? And d) who played defense on him? It's bugging the heck out of my roommate and I and Googled for about 30 minutes trying to find the answer. Thanks.

View more questions Search