Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBweld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Repairing a cracked drain pipe
    I've attached a picture of the drain pipe. The kitchen and bathroom sink and bathtub all lead into this pipe before the crack. The crack is about 4" long in a lead pipe (I believe) which is threaded into a cast iron T. The crack goes all the way to the cast iron T and I'm wondering if that would make it hard to patch? Another option would be to cut out the bad section of pipe and replace it? Any advice is much appreciated
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 09:04 PM

Looks like galvanized pipe to me. Cut out and replace all accessible galvanized pipe with PVC pipe. Make connection to cast iron with gasket or soil seal. Galvanized is leaded into cast iron. Cut pipe 6" from joint, drill a number of small holes in lead around pipe until pipe is loosened and can be pulled out.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 04:13 AM

... Then, insert new section of pipe ( can be ABS, PVC ) , use 2 Fernco couplings to connect new and old. You will need 3"CI x 2" CI coupling for the Y side, and 2" x 2" for the pipe to pipe connection ( explanation: 3" CI so you can get it over the Hub ).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2009, 05:36 AM
    Both experts are correct. You have a galvanized pipe that's been caulked into a cast iron combination wye and eighth bend. What is it you wish to do? Replace the entire run of galvanized or cut out the old faulty galvanized and patch in a piece of plastic.
    At any rate the very first thing you're going to hafta do is remove the lead and oakum joint. To remove a poured lead and oakum joint take a 3/8" drill bit and drill a few holes down past the lead and into the oakum.. Push a screwdriver under the lead ring and lever it up. Once it's free you can began to peel the lead ring out. Now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart. Now tell me what is is you want to do. Regards, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure, but I think I see threads on that galv pipe?? I don't think this is a lead and okum joint,, if it is, its just plain wrong to lead galv into cast. I suggest trying to get all of the galv thread out of the threaded cast fitting, and then use a thread cleaning tool to get it real clean, then use a two inch pvc MIP adapter to thread into cast fitting, and glue joints from there. Or, just cut out the whole wye, and replace with pvc,, adapt the new pvc wye at both inlets with shielded rubber clamps(with short pieces of pvc coming out of pvc wye.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 02:35 PM

I agree with MGD77: The gal. pipe is screwed in, therefore, it is cast iron, tapped, fitting.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 12:37 AM

Is this post still open it was posted in August? Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 03:53 PM

Lol, I got to learn to look closer at the post date. Thanks John. Lee.

Me Too! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing cracked Corian countertop [ 2 Answers ]

How can I repair a cracked Corian countertop?

Repairing cracked toilet lids [ 7 Answers ]

My toilet tank lid fell and broke in four pieces what do I do? And what is the cost?

Repairing cracked Corian counter [ 1 Answers ]

There is a 4 foot long crack in the center of my counter. Apparently, the installer did not brace underneath it, and when I dropped something heavy on it, it cracked from the end of the counter almost to the sink. Is there any way to repair it?

Cracked/Crumbled tub drain pipe, best way to repair. [ 6 Answers ]

House built in the 50's, and the original drain pipe from the 1st floor tub extends about 12" down into the garage below. This pipe has cracked/crumbled right at the elbow (has a small bend that looks like a 5" trap) before running horizontal with the garage ceiling. What is the best way to fix...

Repairing drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in where two drain pipes are glued together. I would like to know if it can be repaired by simply putting glue on the outside or should I cut the pipe and redo the whole thing? I I do have to cut it, are there any tricks to getting this together if there is no play in the pipe? ...

View more questions Search