Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElizabethA83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Ex hasn't seen daughter in 18 months, and has paid no child support
    Hi, my ex hasn't seen my daughter since March 2008. I have full physical custody and, we share legal custody. He was ordered to pay child support in May 2008. The judge also stated I could have the support payments start from the day I petioned the papers and, that he would also have to pay interest for the back support. Well, here I am 18 months later, and he hasn't seen her, or paid me one penny of support. I petioned the court for him not paying child support and, to also have the visitation order amended. I asked for him to have no legal custody and, no visitation because he hasn't seen her for so long. He has 3 other children besides my daughter. He has a son that is 1, and 2 daughters that are 5 and 7. He signed his rights over to the 2 girls when my daughter was 2 months old. She is 26 months old now. He is still with the woman that is his son's mother. My question is we go to court Tuesday, and since he has chose to not see her, and not pay any child support can the courts suspend his rights? Can I bring up the fact that he has 2 other children that he gave up? If he gives up his rights when we go to court will the judge still order him to pay the back child support that is owed right now? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 07:27 PM

They will not ''suspend his rights''
    They may revise the visitation order or enforce it but it will have nothing to do with whether he has paid anything or not.

They will enforce that he has to pay up.
    If he still doesn't pay up... back to court.

I don't know at what point they put dead beat dads in jail for failure to pay.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 07:40 PM

No, they will not suspend his rights... there is no such thing. As for the other two children that are no longer his that was probably because their mother was remarried to a man that wanted to adopt so he didn't really give them up he allowed the adotion. Unless of course he presented a danger to the children in which case I don't see why you want him to have visitation. The court will enforce the support order and may modify the visitation if that is what you are going to court for. But as said there is no suspension of rights.
    ElizabethA83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
    My husband wants to adopt her. Should I just wait and see what happens at court, and if he doesn't sign his rights over then, petition for my husband to adopt her?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 07:54 PM

Have you talked to your ex about letting your husband adopt? You can't have an adoption without your ex's consent. I think to save time and trouble you should bring it up to him before court. Then if he is okay with it let the Judge know that is the decision you and he have made.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:25 PM

If you and your husband are serious just ask the ex if he will allow it. He should know by now that by allowing the adoption he will no longer owe child support. If he will allow it then hire a attorney to draw up the papers and it will be easy. If, however, he will not allow it he can easily stop it. You petitioning the court will not mean much unless you have a great attorney and case to back it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support And Rights To My Daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 2 years old. Her father has never paid me a penny for child support nor has he ever wanted to see her. He hasn't even asked to see a picture. The last time I talked to him, he was threatening me and telling me how he was unstable and wanted to die, etc. He isn't on the birth...

Child support not paid? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a step mother of a 13 year old girl, for the last 10 years I have been the only mother that she really knows. Her birth mother is in and out of her life. The last time that they talked was back in December ( x-mas, it's now October) and our daughters b-day was in June, not a phone call just a...

Child support/college paid [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in 1996. My divorce degree says that my ex-husband will pay for our sons college and child support will stop. I received papers from the state saying that the law on child support has changed and my son and I can request that child support be continued until our son is 21. My...

How long does child support have to be paid? [ 1 Answers ]

An 18 year old male has been kicked out on the street by his mother after his 18th birthday. His father has never been around and has not paid child support at anytime. How old does child support have to be paid, can it be paid directly to him by his father if court ordered? If anyone can help...

Back Child Support Paid [ 2 Answers ]

If back child support is paid and paid by the order date. What is the statue of limitations if any on interest ? Can the courts legaly come back years later and charge interest.If they didn't put it in the original orders?

View more questions Search