Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Foreclosure
    My friends house is being forclosed on. He lives in MN. We have something here called the Cold Weather Rule where you can't be evicted if it's after Oct. 15 Can a house be forclosed on and can he be kicked out before spring?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 09:14 AM
    First of all, you are mistaken about the Cold Weather Rule. It does NOT prevent a landlord from evicting a tenant, or refusing to renew a lease that expires during this “cold weather” season (see here and scroll down to #26).

Now, how long it takes for the Bailiff to set him out depends on the timing of the courts, when paperwork gets filed, etc...

Has he been to court yet? If so, where is the case at? Foreclosures, from beginning to end (set out), can vary from a few months to a many many months... and I've even seen them take a couple years.
    mpn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. All I know is he was sent a letter from the lender that if he didn't pay the past 6 months house pmts in full by the 11th of Oct. he would be notified soon to vacate the house. He thinks he can stay until spring because he thinks they can't kick him out because of the cold weather.. I say differently... thanks for the answers to my question.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Clearly they have not filed yet, then. My guess is that they can't get him out sooner than the spring.
    azelinsky Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpn
    My friends house is being forclosed on. He lives in MN. we have something here called the Cold Weather Rule where you can't be evicted if it's after Oct. 15 Can a house be forclosed on and can he be kicked out before spring?
    Not sure about that, but does he want to keep the house? Does he have equity?
    mnnorm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by azelinsky View Post
    Not sure about that, but does he want to keep the house? Does he have equity?
    I also have a friend in Minnesota his house is forclosed on and the 6 months is up dec 15th, do you think he can stay until spring, because he has no money to move, he is looking for work, he was injured that's why he got in trouble.
    jkope523 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Is there any way to find out exact date when you have to be out of your home after the sheriff sale ? Our 6month would be thanks giving day
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkope523 View Post
    is there any way to find out exact date when you have to be out of your home after the sheriff sale ? our 6month would be thanks giving day
    Six month what? Equity of redemption perhaps?

If the property is foreclosed, and there is a sale, if the judgment of foreclosure doesn't specify a date to leave, the buyer at the sale would have to go to court to get an order of eviction. How long that will take depends on the efficiency of the court process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure [ 10 Answers ]

Hi: I have an apartment in Miami and I can not make payments anymore, I refinanced it sometime ago to afford making the payments but I run out of money and I have no job or income of any kind. If the bank foreclosure the apartment are they going after me for money if they sell the apartment for...

Foreclosure on mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother has sold her House, and carried the mortgage Herself. I have Power of attorney over Her, and She is now unable to handle her Finances. The mortgage payment is over a month overdue. I sent the buyer A certified letter,letting Her know that I was handeling Mother's finances At this...

United States Coming Foreclosure Soon! [ 1 Answers ]

Congressman Ron Paul Speaks the Truth (again) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- According to Republican Congressman Ron Paul: "Congress reacted to Katrina in the expected irresponsible manner. It immediately appropriated over $60 billion with...

View more questions Search