Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomthumb92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2009, 02:49 PM
    97 Toyota Avalon Key Cylinder Replacement
    How do I remove my key cylinder for a 97 Toyota Avalon?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 05:18 PM

Recommendation:

Remove the lock and take to a lock/speedshop that does car lock cylinders. The labor is getting to and installing, not recoding.

BTW: You could be talking about the glove box, door, trunk or ignition.
    tomthumb92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2009, 05:46 PM

I was able to purchase the part for $99 from the Toyota Dealer... Before starting the work disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the lower plastic dash with two screws near the bottom. Pry the upper part closest to steering wheel with a little elbow grease. I removed the metal plate under the plastic dash section. Once removed try to get the key into accesory position and find the 1/8" hole just under the cylinder housing. Press the hole with a small slotted screw driver and pull the key. The cylinder should remove easily. Just place the new cylinder in the same position as the old and it slips right in. Put everything back together and turn the car on.
    benawatson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Comment on tomthumb92's post
    Thanks much! I called one of the '15 minute response' locksmiths and was advised that it would be 500 dollars to get the ignition replaced. Thanks to your GREAT instructions above, a $94 part and 12 minutes, we are on the road again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Toyota Avalon Electrical System instantly died [ 5 Answers ]

My 95 Toyota Avalon xls just died--about 140K miles. A month ago the electrical system began been acting up insofar as the clock and temperature sensor displays began fading in and out--flashing dim. I didn't notice any other problems, and no fuses were at issue. Then, a few weeks later the...

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry? [ 1 Answers ]

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry?

Does a Toyota Avalon 95 , igntion lock has a retainer pin? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a Toyota Avalon 95 , igntion lock has a retainer pin?

Where are the knock sensors on a 2000 Toyota Avalon [ 1 Answers ]

Where are the knock sensors on a 2000 Toyota Avalon v6 and what must be removed To replace them.

1996 Toyota avalon ignition [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the ignition won't turn past the start position, any ideas?

View more questions Search