Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daybyday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Did I do the right thing?
    For 2 years now I have been dating(on and off) this guy I feel madly in love with, the first time we met. He had issues in the begginning with getting over his first love, and concentrating on our relationship. A year after being together, we broke up due to his drug use with cocaine, and him cheating on me with his ex-girlfriend. We stayed apart for 3 months, and in that time I found a new boyfriend, and was actually really happy. Besides the occasional melt down of missing my first love. The day after my 20th birthday my ex called me wishing me a happy birthday and asked if we could meet for lunch. I agreed and from that day on we were together again. Things went well for a while, than the old behaviors of blowing me off for his mother, and the attitudes all the time began again. I stuck through all of his emotional and mental abuse I guess you would call it for another 7 months. We even tried living together, and I ended up moving out a month after moving in with him. NOt an easy thing to do though, I had to call on my parents for help, and our local police department to get my car back which he had stollen the night before. We stopped talking due to a restraining order for a week. He got back in touch with me complaining of have no dog food for the dog, and no food for himself. Being the person I am I couldn't let that happen, so I dropped the restraining order, and got back with him. We were together for 2 months and out of those two months I was happy maybe 2 weeks at the most. 4 days ago I had finally had enough and left him for good this time. He was back into the drugs with his mom, and blowing me off again. But this time its not the missing him that is making me go nuts, it's the guilt I have with leaving him to tend to the dog( he won't unless convienent for him) and the guilt of how he is going to make it with out rides, money and dinners frequently at my moms house. I provided him with a lot. And I took it away from him. Why do I feel this guilt, when I was the one that suffered for 2 years, not him? Melanie
    flymomma Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Hi Melanie,

In my opinion, you should move on from this guy. And then seek some help for yourself. Alanon, Nar-Anon, perhaps.

When one is involved with a person who is using drugs, our personality changes to fit with this crazy lifestyle. And we kind of become addicted to the chaos. It becomes comfortable and we kind of miss it, in a twisted sort of way, when it's gone.

We invite the chaos back into our lives. And then blame the addict when we're miserable. I speak from a little bit of experience.

There's usually something in our own history that draws us to people who need fixing. And the only person that we can change is ourself.

Oh, and can you get the dog? If not and you're truly concerned about it's welfare, call animal control. Pets rely on us for their care and we have no right to victimize them.

Best of luck to you! I hope this was helpful in some way.
    Take care!
    Leah
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Oh my god! Run!! Mental abuse. He has no money. Run!!

Restraining order? Run!

Feeling guilty is no relationship!
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2006, 10:11 AM
    You're way beter off. I agree - you need to see a counselour.

I think you had dependincy on this person.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 26, 2006, 11:37 AM
    After what you've been through, I think you did well to come away with your sanity.Let him catch hell on his own for you can do nothing until he wants to change . Protect yourself and leave the guilt alone . You are not abandoning him your getting away from a dangerous deluded person who can do great harm to those around him and himself, and will if you let him. Get rid of the guilt and stay away from him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Is This Thing? [ 3 Answers ]

Terresa Marie, my friend, felt something sticking her in the back. When I unsipped the dresss this is what I found. She has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and is deathly afraid of them. I attempted to identify the bug on the internet but no joy. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, ...

Looking to do the right thing. [ 9 Answers ]

I live with 5 other girls in a house. We all share rent and utilities. Our toilet got plugged and it may have been from a tampax. Two of us admitted we'd flushed tampax down the toilet in the past because we didn't know we weren't supposed to. The plumbing bill came to $120 and the other girls...

Did I do the right thing ? [ 5 Answers ]

I call the animal cruelty number to my neighbor and they said that they will investigate him and probably sue him > thanks labman and everyone else for helping I really appreciate it .

Is this the right thing to do? [ 6 Answers ]

OK so I have this ex and he knows I still like him and one week he will say o I love you still to and then the next week he will ignore my calls and text and everything so what I've been trying to do is avoied him and stuff like that like I took him out of my pro and all this and when he ims or...

Am I doing the right thing? [ 9 Answers ]

? I met this 23 year old guy this past May. We started dating and everything was fine. After a whole and huge mess we broke up this past September. I didn't see him for 3 months. Then we saw each other again a week before Christmas and we got back together. Eveything has been really good. A...

View more questions Search