Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caab30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Insurance Policy
    Hi,

I have a problem right now and hoping that someone could help me. My father was diagnosed with Lung Cancer last year and he finally passed on August 21st of this year. Here is my dilema. My sister claims that my father had a policy from this one company but when we tried to get them to pay for the funeral, the policy was considered "contestable" meaning that because the policy was under 2 years old, the insurance company had to do a investigation that would take up to 90 days and we could not wait that long to bury my father so we had to get the county to bury him. Now, I feel that my sister is lying about this policy that she claims that my father was suppose to have because she personally told me that she had taken a policy out on him and I think that is the policy that she is trying to say that he had. Now I have called the Social Security Office, Pinching and Benefits Company and now waiting for the Department of Labor to call me back to see if they can help me. My father had even told me that he had enough insurance to bury him and to take care of his children and I feel that my sister has lied to us and trying to keep the monies to herself. She had never showed me a insurance policy, even after I had asked for the policy, she never showed me and I need to know what I need to do to find out if my father did indeed have another insurance policy. Please help me with this. I just cannot see my father waiting to the last minute to put insurance on him. Whatever info that you can give me please do so. Thank you so much and look forward to hearing from one of your reps and please have a great day.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:44 AM

Who took out the policy? Your sister? Your father? Who paid the premiums and who is the beneficiary?

The beneficiary determines where the money goes upon death.

You need more info before you proceed.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 10:06 AM

First of all, my condolences for your loss. I just lost my father on 8/14 too.

Regarding the policies, if your sister took out the policy and named herself as the beneficiary then she is entitled to the death benefit.

As for finding out whether he had another policy, scour the house and look for a policy booklet. Did he ever mention to you the company or amount of insurance he carried?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Can you take life insurance out on anyone without there knowledge?

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

I leave in California and my sister has stage 4 lung cancer and wants to leave me her life insurance policy for money she owes me but she also owes money to many credit card companies (much more than what the policy is worth). I am I responsible for taking that money and paying her credit debt...

This about Life Insurance Policy [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know if having a LIFE INSURANCE POLICY is permitted in Islam. Please do reply..

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know...

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Will the insurance company deduct any taxes on a life insurance policy? Is the year end taxable?

View more questions Search