Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rainbowskyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Coldwater valve to the washing machine (wheel style)
    I am getting a constant leak from what appears to be coming out from the stem (of the wheel) which is attached to the inside of the connecting 3 inch pipe then onto the water pipe.:( please help! difficult times lately, more like economic hard times have hit this single home owner, if I had the tools, I would try myself)
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2009, 11:57 AM

If you don't have tools I don't know how I can help, but it is probably the packing nut. Hopefully you can see it here on the image of a hosebibb I have put up. The packing nut is right behind the handle. You can try to tighten it, but if that doesn't work you will need to shut the water off and remove the nut and stem and put in new packing.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2009, 12:02 PM

What darrell forgot to say was tighten that nut, just a little bit, maybe 1/8 turn. You will need an adjustable wrench.

You have three post going, delete the other two.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Simple repair! When the valve's,(see image) leaking past the stem take a wrench and snug up the bonnet packing nut until it stops.
    CAREFUL! Do not overtighten if you do it will make the handle hard to turn. Good luck, Tom
    Rainbowskyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Simple repair! When the valve's,(see image) leaking past the stem take a wrench and snug up the bonnet packing nut until it stops.
    CAREFUL! Do not overtighten if you do it will make the handle hard to turn. Good luck, Tom
    "thank you" for your help, (very good, colorful picture:) I was able to get my brotherinlaw to come and rescue me, he took the whole piece off the cold water pipe that it was attached to and went to the hardware store and picked up a whole new piece (cold water valve?) and screwed it back in to the cold water pipe and voilą! Back in business, I wanted to suggest something like you've said,but since he came from his busy schedule and all, figured it must be an inexpensive piece to replace, so just let him do what he knows best, thanks to everyone helping out, its just one less thing that I got to tackle, when your one person running a household, having a new roof put on, laid off after 28 yrs. And giving your damedest when you were there, I soooo much appreciate all you folks giving me a "headsUP" on this. Its great to have and free... something I totally can use and appreciate::))... from Georgia,Vermont... The Green Mtn. State

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace Washing Machine Shutoff Valve [ 11 Answers ]

One of my washing machine shutoff valves is leaking. I would normally fix or repair this myself, but the valves are "encased" in a washing machine hookup box and I don't know how to replace the valve with the box in place and I don't see any way to remove the box. There is no copper pipe above...

Whinning noise from washing machine water valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new LG washing machine installed and the cold water valve from the wall makes a loud whinning/whistling noise when the cold water runs into the washing machine. What is causing this noise and how can I stop it?

Washing machine shutoff valve [ 3 Answers ]

How do itake the valve apart to replace o-rings that leak? I have a 2-m2 washing machine shutoff valve.

In-Wall Washing Machine Manual Shut-off Valve Leaks Into Washing Machine [ 9 Answers ]

My hot water automatic shut-off valve on my washing machine started gushing water. So I figured no problem, I would turn off the water at the in-wall manual shut off valve for the washing machine. But even when I turn it all the way off, it leaks. It leaks into the hose going to the washing...

Top load whirlpool style washing machine will not spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed motor and gearbox/transmission from cabinet. I had to replace the drive/motor coupler on a previous washer so I thought that may have been the problem this time also. I separated the motor from gear box to check the coupler. It was NOT broken. I tried to start the washer with it out...

View more questions Search