Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ronni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Noma thermostat
    I think this may be a typical problem with converting to a Noma programmable thermostat.
    I currently have a Sears model , 4 wire and a black wire (jumper?) going from RC to 4. There is also a disabled black wire coming from the wall but not connected to anything.
    Do I eliminate the black jumper wire and take the black wire from the wall and connect this to the RH?

Are these programmable thermostats worth all the confusion of setting up and programming?

Thanks for any help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 10:00 AM
    I sometimes wonder that myself. You only need to go through the connection and set up once. 4? Typical of Sears not to use others conventions.

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. Many have RH and RC to allow separate transformers for heating and cooling. With just one red wire, jumper them. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

So if you have both RH and RC, the red wire needs to be connected to both. If the Noma has a common, the disabled black wire can be used to connect it to the common terminal of the transformer.
    METT Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 09:25 PM
    '4' is probably same as RH. You can try using the jumper to connect Rc and Rh to see if it work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noma Programmable thermostat [ 14 Answers ]

I have tried to replace a conventional lever action mercury thermostat with a new digital programmable Noma thermostat. The AC works fine but when I turn on the heat, the AC come on then too and not the heat. I have no heat. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: Orange -> Y Red ->...

Noma thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a NOMA Programmable 7-Day Thermostat, but today it seems to have gone strange. I had it on the Cool and heat started coming out of the vents. I thought the air conditioning was broken, so I turned the thermostat off, but a little while later the vent came on with hot air again? How...

Noma programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

We have programmed the thermostat and it always jumps back to another setting. Can you help.

Programmable noma thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am changing a York thermostat to a Noma programmable. I have rewired transferring w to w, rc to rc, g to g, y to y . There is a wire jumper on the York that goes from rc to 4. There is no corresponding 4 on the Noma. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where the wire jumper should go if I...

Noma Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Noma non-programmable thermostats in my bedroom. On controls the heat and the other controls the AC. My question is, why are the displayed temperatures different on each thermostat? They are literally 2 inches apart and the indicated temp on one is 1.2 degrees higher than on...

View more questions Search