Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejscherr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Burning Smell Associated with Light Switch
    I have one light switch that frequently produces a burning smell when turned off (although the light plate is never warm to the touch). The light switch is not particularly old, but wasn't replaced yesterday either. I have had this problem in apartments I have lived in in the past, although this one is now in my home. Is there any reason for this or any danger? Could this cause a fire? I was considering changing out the switch, but know nothing about doing this. Aren't there different voltage switches? How do you determine what type of switch you need? I would really prefer not to call an electrician because of the cost, but if this is a potential fire hazard I will certainly do so. Any opinions?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 06:16 AM
    You need to visually inspect what's going on in there.

• Turn off the breaker to that circuit
    • unscrew the screws holding the plate on and remove it
    • unscrew the screws holding the switch to the box and pull that switch out a few inches

Is there any evidence of smoldering or burning on the switch or wires?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 06:21 AM
    I see no good reason for that to be happening. My house was built in 1970, and I don't think I have changed any switches. Still, I don't like it. A new switch would only be a buck or 2, and changing it would be a good starter DIY project. Locate the circuit breaker and shut it off. There should be a table on the door saying which each circuit breaker does. If not, that is another good starter project. Ask for details if you need to. With the circuit breaker off, try to turn the light on. If it comes on, you have the wrong breaker. People have gotten killed that way. Try again.

Once you have the right breaker off, remove the screws in the cover plate and then the screws holding the switch to the box. Pull the switch out. It should have a bare copper wire attached to a green screw, and 2 other wires. If it has 3 separate insulated wires, carefully note where they are and buy a 3 way switch just like it. Don't worry if the same screw has more than one wire on it. They may be on screws or back stabbed, simply pushed into holes. If so, there is another small hole next to it. Push a small screwdriver or something in the other hole and pull on the wire. May take some wiggling around to get it out. Look at the switch. It should say 120-240 V 15 amp or such. Go to a hardware and select a switch like it. A regular hardware store is much more likely to have somebody that can assure you you are buying the right switch than the big home centers.

If the old switch didn't have the bare wire attached to the green screw, poke around in the box and see if you can find one to attach. That provides an extra measure of security and is required in new work now. Otherwise, put it back together just like it was. Turn the circuit breaker on and test the light. If it doesn't work, recheck your work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light and switch issue [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace an existing light fixture. I have discovered four wires coming into the opening. When I connect the new light *** the old one was I only have power before the light and the new light comes on. No power to the rooms beyond the light. In addition, the new light is on...

Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, with burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, after I set the setting and close the door, and there is a strong burning smell at that time. It is only about 2 1/2 yrs old. Any ideas? Thanks, Cindy

Burning smell in Hampton Bay [ 2 Answers ]

Just bought a new house that has Hampton Bay ceiling fans/lights in several rooms. Each one gets a hot or burning smell after they've been on awhile. Is there a break-in period for these things or did the builder wire something wrong, or do the 60W bulbs need to be 40W? :confused: A little...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

View more questions Search