Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Can You Explain Life After Death In The Jewish Religion?
    According to Jewish beliefs, can someone please explain to me if they believe in life after death?
    The difference between souls and spirits?
    Where do the souls (or spirits) go after the physical death?
    Where do the Jewish people go and where do the "gentiles" go?
    Do we all seize to exist after the physical death?

If you can also give the Torah's scriptures to clarify. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 10:20 PM

There is a post on where you go on this board already
    JudyKayTree posted it.

The way I understand soul and spirit is
    Your spirit is the part of you that communicates with God.
    The soul is what makes you who you are
    Your personality, you intellect, your emotions, etc...

I am sure someone here can get more indepth with this with the Torah.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
    OK, I will check it out, thanks.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    According to Jewish beliefs, can someone please explain to me if they believe in life after death?
    Where do the souls (or spirits) go after the physical death?

If you can also give the Torah's scriptures to clarify. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    Hello Golden Girl,

Let me see if I can take your questions one at a time. There are a lot of them. Please note that I will be answering from an Orthodox Jewish perspective. Other sects may believe differently, and I'm sure that there are those within my own sect that would disagree. (You know the old saying: Two Jews, three opinions... )

please explain to me if they believe in life after death?

Yes we do. Judaism believes in an afterlife. The NATURE of that afterlife is a subject of debate.

Here's what we know "for sure" based on various Talmudic, Midrashic and Kabalistic texts: When a person dies, their soul comes before G-d to be judged. The Angel Soton (Satan) acts as the prosecuting attorney in the "trial", and the Angel Michael acts as the defense attorney. If that person is judged to be "good", he enters Gan Eden (The Garden of Eden), there to bask in the glory of G-d and study at His feet. If one is judged to be "evil", he enters Gehinom (Hell), where he is punished for his sins for up to 1 year. After that 1-year period, he too gets to enter Gan Eden, and he too basks in G-d's glory... yada yada.

That much most Jews seem to be in agreement on.

Where we debate is with regard to the NATURE of heaven and hell. What do they constitute. I recently posted on this topic, so rather than repost, I'm going to just cut and paste from there:

Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Hi Judy,

You are correct that Judaism doesn't believe in "eternal damnation".

However, we DO believe in punishment for sins.

There are mixed explanations for what "hell" means in Judaism.

The most commonly believed explanation in Judaism is that "hell" or "Gehinom" is where sinners go. After a person dies, he is judged by G-d, and if he is deemed to be a "good" person, he goes to "Gan Aiden" or the Garden of Eden, there to bask in the glory of G-d and to study His Torah at His feet. If he is judged to have been "bad" he is sent instead to "Gehinom", where he spends up to a year expiating his sins through suffering. After that one-year period, he then goes to Gan Aiden. That is why mourners say kaddish for a dead person for 1-year, and then only on the anniversary of the death.

(Note: This is true for most "garden variety sinners". The TRULY evil --- ei: Hitler--- stay in Gehinom forever. But such levels of evil are truly rare and are very much the exception to the rule.)

Nachmanides gives a slightly different explanation. He says that Gan Aiden and Gehinom are the same place. If we are good, we go to that place, and we find comfort in that place. If, however, we are judged "bad", the embarrasment and shame of being close to G-d while being in that "evil" condition is so painful that we suffer emmensly for it. It takes time--- up to a year for most people--- to get past that shame and humiliation and come to a level of feeling comfortable in G-d's presence. Our sins are, therefore, expiated by that shame and humiliation. The truly evil, of course, never get past that shame. The key point, though, is that "heaven" and "hell", according to this interpretation, are one and the same. It is OUR CONDITION that makes the difference in how we experience that place.

What is the truth? Who knows. It is said in the Talmud that only 4 people ever entered Pardes (G-d's Presence in Heaven) alive. One died, one went insane, one became a heretic, and the 4th, Rabbi Akiva, entered whole and left whole, but never spoke of what he saw there. So the answer is that we really don't know what the true nature of heaven and hell is. What I have described above are just concepts, and very basic ones.

Interesting question.

There are several related concepts within Judaism. I think that the best source for this answer is the Zohar, who wrote about Jewish spirituality in the 13th Century. He describes the following:

Nephesh – The living mortal being. This can refer to animals as well... it is that spiritual essence that gives life in all forms (human and animal).
    Ruach (ruah) – the middle soul, or spirit. It contains the moral virtues and the ability to distinguish between good and evil. People have a Ruach, but animals do not.
    Neshamah – the higher soul, higher self or super-soul. This distinguishes man from all other life forms. It relates to the intellect, spiritual awareness, and allows man to enjoy and benefit from the afterlife. It allows one to have some awareness of the existence and presence of G-d. This is the part of us that seeks a connection to some higher being.

That's as simply as I can explain these concepts.

I assume that you are speaking of "after death". According to Jewish beliefe, Jews and Non-Jews go to the same place. And here's an interesting kicker for you... according to Judaism, it is easier for a Non-Jew to get to Heaven than it is for a Jew to get there.

Jews have to follow 613 Commandments in order to get to heaven (Gan Eden). Non-Jews need only follow 7 Noachide Laws to get there. They are:

1. Do not commit idolatry or worship false gods.
    2. Do not murder.
    3. Do not steal.
    4. Do not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.
    5. Do not curse God's name.
    6. Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. Kill it first.
    7. Set up and live by an effective judiciary system to enforce laws fairly.
    Since you are a law-abiding citizen, I am assuming that you already pretty much follow these laws. Which means you are guaranteed a place in heaven, according to Jewish beliefe. And the place you go for your reward is the same place that a Jew would go. We make no distinction in that sense.

Not according to Jewish belief. We believe that the soul (Neshama) is eternal and exists at the side of G-d even after death. We even believe that some of those Neshamot (plural form) have an influence on Earth after death. There are stories of the Soul of the Prophet Elijah coming down to Earth to save people, solve problems or defend the riteous, sometimes in a hidden manner, sometimes openly. We also believe that those Souls can intervene on behalf of their families and/or descendants with G-d. If a family member is worthy, a Soul of a predecessor can ask G-d for special interventions to help that person through a problem. The role that this soul takes on is referred to as the "Maylitz Yosher" or "ambassador of righteousness". A good description would be "spiritual intercessor".

So no, we do not believe that death is the end.

Hope this helps.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Thank you so much for your answers ETWolverine, now I have a clearer undestanding of these. May I ask who were the other 3 people who entered Pardes alive? Enoch, Bithiah, Serach, and including Elijah? Also, do animals go to heaven since they have a spiritual essence?

Sep 3, 2009, 06:18 AM

According to a Baraitta (Talmudic exegesis) the 4 people who entered Pardes were:

Ben Azzai
    Ben Zoma
    Acher (also known as Elisha ben Avuya)
    Rabbi Akiva

The story says that:

Ben Azzai entered and died.
    Ben Zoma entered and went insane.
    Acher entered and became a heretic (literally "destroyed the plants", but interpreted as "destroyed the 'fruits' of Torah... heresy).
    Rabbi Akiva entered whole and left whole.

The 4 people you are speaking of are the 4 who joined the "afterlife" without dying. There is a difference between entering the place that G-d resides and entering the "afterlife". I'm not sure what that difference is, but apparently there is a difference.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Oh, I see. Maybe it has something to do with the different levels of heaven perhaps? I read there were 7 levels of heaven in the book of Enoch that was discovered in Ethiopia. So since the animals have a spiritual essence, do they go to heaven? I know I am always asking questions.

Sep 8, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Oh, I see. Maybe it has something to do with the different levels of heaven perhaps? I read there were 7 levels of heaven in the book of Enoch that was discovered in Ethiopia. So since the animals have a spiritual essence, do they go to heaven? I know I am always asking questions.
    "Do all dogs go to heaven?" It's a very old question.

The answer is that I don't know for sure.

My understanding, based on the Zohar, is that because animals do not have a "neshama" which is the spiritual essence of a person that connects with G-d and that benefits from spirituality, they do NOT go to heaven... or hell either. They simply cease to exist. In order to connect to a spiritually higher plane of existence, one needs a neshama, which animals are lacking by their nature.

Elliot
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Nephesh – The living mortal being. This can refer to animals as well... it is that spiritual essence that gives life in all forms (human and animal).
    Ruach (ruah) – the middle soul, or spirit. It contains the moral virtues and the ability to distinguish between good and evil. People have a Ruach, but animals do not.
    Neshamah – the higher soul, higher self or super-soul. This distinguishes man from all other life forms. It relates to the intellect, spiritual awareness, and allows man to enjoy and benefit from the afterlife. It allows one to have some awareness of the existence and presence of G-d. This is the part of us that seeks a connection to some higher being.

Elliot
    Does this mean that a person can have a "Ruah" but no "neshamah"?

Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Does this mean that a person can have a "Ruah" but no "neshamah"?
    I would assume that this is possible. A person who has no connection to anything outside himself, no desire for a connection to a higher power, might be such a person. I am not referring to an atheist, because even an atheist can search for a connection to something greater than themselves... be it music, art, literature, nature, or something else. I'm talking about someone who REALLY has no connection with anything outside themselves... perhaps a sociopath, who makes no emotional connection with anything except his moment-to-moment feelings. Such a person might contain a ruach but no neshama.

But as I have said, I am NOT an expert in this subject, so my answer is NOT to be taken as definitive. I'm just guessing.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
    You made a good point ETWolverine, I have heard of this before being possible. If so, that must be a sad way to exist, just being and nothing else with no emotional connection.
    natcat22889 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Dear golden girl, I have your answer I found out... Me and my best friends did the
    Jewish religion and at the same time a baptist and a christian and so the only thing was of course to DIE so she went surfing and drowned and I recorded the whole thing (I cried)then an angel grabbed her and pulled out the most wonderful spirit and so we went to the Hospital and she came back 2 life it was scary she started talking and all of a sudden... She looked at the door (still recording) she screams " DEnshidum glusinuuum he's coming again (she whispererd)" she finally snapped out of it and she said a man with a feather on his head and fur boots put fire stones on her face and they said kill her as many times my king... done.Hope that answers a little!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hell and the Jewish religion [ 4 Answers ]

Would someone please look at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christianity/too-late-4me-saved-will-god-4give-me-374021-6.html, starting with post 53 - ? It is my understanding that there is no eternal damnation/Hell in the Jewish religion so I am more confused than ever by this response. My late...

Religion: the life of Jesus and Mohammed [ 6 Answers ]

Trace the life of Jesus and Mohammed historically

Scared of death and religion [ 8 Answers ]

I'm really scared of dying ever since I was young and I still am young. When I think about it I think of what will happen I won't hear anything c or do anything at all then I get sad and scared and I feel sick and it feels worse the longer I think of it and I just can't handle it. In the past I've...

Life after death [ 32 Answers ]

Many religions talk many thing. There is a common agreement that death is certain and all it is uncertain when it will happen. But still it remained a question mark what happens after the death?

Cuious about some of the jewish religion [ 10 Answers ]

I am wondering how old a jewish person has to be to become a rabbi?? And how appropritae it is for someone who claims to be a rabbi to use foul launguage??

View more questions Search