Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ATJOHN98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Father relinquishing parental rights
    Please advise me how to relinquish my paental rights. My child's mother wants nothing to do with me and does not want me in the child's life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2006, 06:07 AM
    First, relinquishing your parental rights does NOT release you from finanacial obligation. Second, If the child's mother doesn't want you in the child's life and you don't want to be in it, then just don't. There is no reason to formalize anything. Simply say goodbye.

The only time anything official needs to be done is if the mother marries and her husband wants to adopt the child. At that point they will have to come to you asking you to sign something to relinquish your rights. If you are willing, at that point you can sign the paperwork.

However, I would recommend you not do anything unless that occurs. You have no idea what the future will bring or how you will feel about not being a part of your child's life. Since nothing has to be done at this point, my recommendation is to do nothing.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 10:01 AM
    First of all, are you proven to be the father? If not, then there's no parental rights to be relinquished. If you are, then you either are already or will soon be ordered to pay child support. That's regardless of whether you're in the child's life and whether you're in the mother's life. If that's the case, then the only way your parental rights (whether you exercise them or not) and responsibilities are going away is if another man adopts the child. Your consent would be required for this to happen.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATJOHN98
    Please advise me how to relinquish my paental rights. My child's mother wants nothing to do with me and does not want me in the child's life.
    You have a right as the father to see the child. Take her to court and file a petition for visitation. If you are paying child support and a fit father than there is no reason for them not to grant you visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Relinquishing of Father's Parental Rights [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. My name is Catherine. I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. I need to know what I need to do do get my daughter's father's rights terminated. He's already signed a paper stating he is willingly terminating his rights and got it notarized. I know I went to some site and it said if the...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Voluntarily Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I recently heard that my ex has decided to give up his parental rights on our son. He has recently, within the last year, gotten remarried and his new wife does not like my son, nor does my son like her. She has attempted to physically harm me in his presence and now my son doesn't want to see...

Parental rights for a teen father [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is currently feuding with the soon-to-be mother of his child. What rights does he have to be in his child's life and what steps does he need to take to receive those rights?

View more questions Search