Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheaphouses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Ground bar and neutral bar
    I was working on a rehab project, and the guy working on the wiring was installing both the ground wire and the neutral wire together into the ground bar or neutral bar, depending on the side of the circuit.

I was always under the impression that ground wires to ground bar and neutral wires to neutral bar.

Is the above technique safe?

When I asked him about it, he said it makes the wiring in the box neater.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaphouses View Post
    I was always under the impression that ground wires to ground bar and neutral wires to neutral bar.
    In the main panels there is no difference between the ground bar and the neutral bar.
    I will say, an add-on ground bar that is screwed to the back of the panel must ONLY be used for grounds.

Is the above technique safe?
    Code complaint? Definitely not.
    Safe? I think so. Some will disagree.
    The part that is non-complaint is that a neutral wire must be one wire to a termination.
    Grounds (of the same size) can usually be doubled or even trippled up in a single hole.

When I asked him about it, he said it makes the wiring in the box neater.
    I do agree with this.

This is a practice I followed for many years. I only stopped doing this about 7-8 years ago by choice. The inspectors in my area had no problem with it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hard to say, but let's clarify:

If there is an isolated neutral, then ground and neutral must be separate. There is a green screw that is usually removed to isolate the neutral. In these cases, usually a ground bar kit needs to be purchased to get the ground bar back. This occurs on sub-panels although not exclusively.

If there isn't an isolated neutral, then it makes no difference.

The neutral to ground bond usually occurs at the first disconnect, so for houses with an outside disconnect, the inside panel will have an isolated neutral.

In many cases the first disconnect is at the main panel and therefore the neutral and ground connections are essentially the same.

Purists would prefer a separate ground and neutral in both cases bonded at one point for other reasons such as electrical noise and power quality issues.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2009, 04:13 PM

Why did the inspector want my electrician to separate the neutrals and grounds when I had electrical work done. This is in my main breaker box.

Was that just because he preferred it like that?

Aug 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
    Why did the inspector want my electrician to seperate the neutrals and grounds when I had electrical work done. This is in my main breaker box.

Was that just because he preferred it like that?
    Who knows. Was there a main disconnect outside?

Aug 29, 2009, 04:56 PM

I had my meter center moved to another location due to remodeling. The electrician installed a meter center that had a breaker box incorporated in it sort of like they use in mobile homes. He did this so he could run a 100 amp service to my shop and have some extra breakers there at the meter center. As far as a main disconnect outside, the only one I know about is the main breaker in the main breaker box in my garage.

Aug 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
    As far as a main disconnect outside, the only one I know about is the main breaker in the main breaker box in my garage.
    But you just got finished describing about the new "meter center" that he installed with breakers outside.
    So is there or isn't there a main breaker outside?

Aug 29, 2009, 08:28 PM

There is not a main breaker outside that cuts off the power coming into the house. There is only one Main Breaker and that is in the main panel box inside the garage.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 08:33 PM

Is the neutral/ground bond in the meter base?

Aug 30, 2009, 08:44 AM

Meter base? Are you talking about where the actual meter is or the main breaker box? I don't know how it is in the meter center but in the main meter box they are bonded.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 11:05 AM

They can make the body nearly anywhere. Usually it's the first disconnect. This is the bet place to put it. You need to figure out where neutral and ground come together for the first time.

Aug 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
    If the entrance cables are grounded at the transformer why is there a separate grounding rod at the main breaker box or meter center?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 02:33 PM

TG,

I just answered the question you posted.

First, only the Neutral is grounded at the transformer. Neutral is also referred to as the "Grounded Conductor" and it provides the return path from the residence back to the transformer.

The two hot cables are referred to as "Ungrounded conductors"

At the main panel (only) Neutral and ground are tied together. Also the ground rod and EGC (Equipment Ground Conductor) are tied to the main panel.

The grounding system at the main panel does several things, one of which is to tie the service's Neutral to the earth ground at the panel. This prevents a ground loop.

Also, the residence's ground protects people from electrocution and carries electrical faults and stray charges away to earth ground.

Aug 30, 2009, 02:40 PM

I am sorry but I thought I had edited and removed this from this post and posted it in a separate one.

Thanks
    Tom
    BigC1942 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 07:42 AM
    I am adding a 100 amp Square D load center to my workshop. I have attached the 2 hot wires and the neutral wire to the panel and the but I do not see a place to attach the ground wire. Where do I attach the Groud wire?
    BigC1942 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 07:48 AM
    I am adding a 100 amp Square D load center to my workshop. I have attached the 2 hot wires and the neutral wire to the panel and the but I do not see a place to attach the ground wire. Where do I attach the ground wire?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 07:52 AM
    You add a grounding buss to the panel.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Oct 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Not exactly. Get a sub-panel conversion kit which should be made for your panel.

It will contain ground bars like above,

The instruction for the panel should show how to isolate the neutral/ground bus in a main breaker panel. Usually you remove a screw and add the ground bar(s).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral/Ground bus bar? [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a sub panel in my basement to run some extra circuits for a bathroom, spare room etc. I am putting a 60 amp fuse in the main service panel, running a 6-3 wire with ground and back feeding the new sub panel. The new panel does not come with a ground bus bar, and suggests using...

Ground bar vs. Neutral bar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference? I understand the neutral goes on the neutral bar and the same for the ground wires but if you were to check continuity between the neutral bar and ground bar they are connected. Can you explain?

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search