Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Expansion Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
    2 computers, 1 Internet connection, this is for network experts
    Hi,

Ok, I'm in a very delicate situation. First of all, I want to mention that I don't like routers, especially cheap ones, and also I have to mention that I don't have the money for the expensive ones.

I have 2 PC's in 2 different rooms, and an internet connection(via UTP cable). I'm using a specific authentication program in order to use my internet connection(my internet provider implemented it).

What I want?
    I want to be able to access this internet connection that I have, at full speed, on both PC's, sometimes at the same time on both PCs. I wouldn't want to use a hardware router.

The PC that I have in my room(PC-A) will be 80% of the time powered on, so I'm thinking that I might allow it direct access to the internet connection, and use some sort of software to allow the internet access to the PC from the living room(PC-B). In my opinion this would be the easier part, but I don't know if this software wouldn't restrict the internet activities for PC-B. What do you think?

Secondary wish: I need a way to permit fast access to the original internet connection for PC-B, in case PC-A freezes, jams, dies, etc...

I'm thinking of buying a pair of eight switches(yes, this types of switches http://www.tlaplus.net/wp-content/up.../08/switch.jpg)
    In order to actually brute switch the internet cable from going first to PC-A, and to permit direct access to PC-B.

Let's say I could figure out this part, too... I'll have to think more about how to route the cables.
    The remaining problem would be: how to get 2 local internet connections on 1 NIC, and fast switch them?
    I wouldn't want to teach my family to change the IP address, subnet mask, gateways, etc every time they need access to internet and something is wrong with PC-A.

You can call me crazy, but you have to give me an alternative solution for my needs.
    Otherwise, please help me on this one.

Regards,
    Nick

Aug 31, 2009, 12:12 PM

Nobody?
    mindtab Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2009, 02:45 PM

I looked at this the other day, but I don't understand the need for the switches and the TLA language. A router cost may be from very little to expensive, depending on needs. You probably don't want to hear this, since you opted for the TLA. But the router would accomplish what you want, especially a better router that can handle congestion and Qos.

For the money spent on the switches and the TLA toolbox learning which is 'yet to come', you could probably spend money on a very cheap computer, load a linux flavor on it, a firewall, leave it on. Connect this to the router (wan) and your other computers to the router-- either lan or wifi.

Sep 2, 2009, 11:07 AM

In order to maintain 10mbps external and 100mbps metropolitan speeds I would need a very fast computer(at least an Atom dual core) running linux.
    Commercial routers can't handle high speed and lots of TCP connections at the same time.
    Dizzy49 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 11:01 PM

Yeah, this seems like MAJOR overkill for two computers. I have 6 computers hooked up, 4 of which are on all day every day, two of which are online nearly 24/7.

I bought a Netgear Gigagbit 8-Port Switch (paid approx $80) and paired that with a Linksys Router with Gigabit Switch (paid approx $110).

Keep in mind that most residential internet connections are only 15Mb at max. With that in mind, the Gigabit speeds will ensure of no speed loss on your local network, and most routers have some QoS for shaping to give one computer priority over the other.

I have one machine that downloads most the day for work. While it is downloading it has priority over 80% of the connection, and everything else works on the remaining 20%. If it's not active, then everyone has free reign on the connection.

I think you are trying to make things FAR more difficult than they really need to be. I've set up several business grade networks that are less complicated than you are making yours.

Best of luck, I'd be interested in knowing what you decide to do.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 3, 2009, 06:59 AM

If you're that worried about a hardware router meeting your connection needs (over 500-600 simultanious connections?), use an old box, drop linux on it, and install routing services. Make it do NAT. Turn on DHCP. Install your authentication software. Drop in 2 gigabit NICs, and one in each of your PCs. Connect with crossover cables.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2009, 07:13 AM

I'm going to pipe in here because I don't understand your feelings against routers. I also don't understand where you are getting your Internet Connection from.

Generally, an Internet connection comes via a router at some point. Either a router connected to T lines or a router connected to a broadband modem. So what are you using?

If its not a broadband modem (which, in itself is a form of router) then you still need a switch to share the connection.

Sep 3, 2009, 10:43 PM

In Romania, there are different types of connections TV cable connections, ADSL connections, FTTB connections(widely spread in my country), etc.
    I know that in the Western Europe, or USA and probably many others, FTTB connections are very rare, and most used ones are ADSL.

I have a FTTB(Fiber To The Building) connection. The Fiber goes into a switch and from there it goes via UTP cable to a few block of flats. I have a metropolitan speed of 100mpbs(I can download with 12-13MB/s from almost anywhere in my city and other cities that use FTTB).

Sep 4, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Expansion View Post
    In Romania, ...
    OK, first, while this site has an international audience, its primarily US so its helpful if you include a general location. Had you stated Romania in your profile or in your post, it would have helped.

Now my next questions are; Does your provider support multiple PCs per flat or person? Do you get a public or private IP when you connect?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 05:03 AM
    In order to maintain 10mbps external and 100mbps metropolitan speeds I would need a very fast computer(at least an Atom dual core) running linux.
    Just a note - the Atom is designed for Netbooks, it's almost the equivalent of a Celeron. You would want Intel's more powerful processors.

Sep 4, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Just a note - the Atom is designed for Netbooks, it's almost the equivalent of a Celeron. You would want Intel's more powerful processors.
    I meant to comment on that. If he's referring to Intel's Atom processor there is ONE dual core model (the 330) currently out. But at 1.6Ghz with a 533 FSB, its hardly a barn burner.
    Dizzy49 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 05:55 AM

Ok, from your description, it sounds like you have 100Mb coming into your flat. If you use a decent gigabit switch you will have no problem doing what you want to do. The one I suggested is inexpensive, and it's decent.

Bottom line is that I think we've provided plenty of suggestions/information for you to do what you want to do. If none of our suggestions will work because you have to support thousands of connections on two PCs, then you are far from a "normal" user, and you are running some kind of business, and will need to invest in business grade equipment.

Sep 4, 2009, 09:52 AM

ScottGem I have a public IP. 85.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Why eight switches for 2 computers?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 4, 2009, 12:33 PM
    WIthout the use of a router, you are going to be exposing all of your computers to the Internet. I also can not understand your reluctance to use a router.

Also, using Internet Connection Sharing on a PC turns your PC into a router and DHCP Server. This is merely a software based solution that would be a poor replacement for what hardware does best.

Lastly, if you are paying for your Internet by connection, then adding a second computer without the benefit of a router means that it will also be directly on the Internet which means that it will also incur a charge.

A router is your best and most secure solution and would also be the least expensive. The cheap routers we all use at home work quite well. If you want to go the way of any other Layer 3 device, you are looking at a routing switch. These are managed devices that typically are much more expensive. I have one here at my desk (a Cisco 3750G with PoE) that runs about $5200 US dollars.

Sep 4, 2009, 01:00 PM
    I'm going to get on a soapbox here. I asked you TWO questions. I didn't ask them out of curiosity I asked them so I could give you the best answer I could. I have never understood why, when someone answers a follow-up question for more information, that they don't make sure they answer ALL the questions asked. All that does is delay our ability to answer.
    {stepping down off soapbox}

So, AGAIN, does your provider support multiple PCs? Als does it supply SEPARATE IPs to each computer?

I also agree wholeheartedly with Chuck. Maybe, if you also explained what you are using the PCs for and WHY you don't like routers we can help further.

Sep 4, 2009, 11:10 PM

I'm sorry for the half answer. I did not know what you meant by "provider support multiple PCs".
    I have a single connection, with only one IP.
    The provider sends TTL=1 signals, if that's what you wanted to know, but I guess that nowadays this is not a big problem.
    The provider won't supply me another IP to the second computer, unless I'm subscribing for another connection.

I don't like routers because they limit the overall speed, the number of maximum simultaneous TCP connections, they add latency, they're unstable sometimes.
    The only routers that I find them suitable for the job are those linux boxes, pfsense boxes, etc.
    The problem with them is that they'll require a pretty good PC in order to maintain throughput.

In my opinion, using a software router, when needed(when the secondary PC wants to access the internet), would be the best compromise. It won't cost me anything.

Sep 5, 2009, 05:29 AM
    The provider won't supply me another IP to the second computer, unless I'm subscribing for another connection.
    Yes that's exactly what I wanted to know. This means that you need to be able to share that one public IP with your two PCs. This means either using a DHCP server to assign private IPs to your two computers or manually assigning them. Either way you also need to use NAT translation from either a router or proxy server to control the traffic between the external (WAN) connection and your LAN devices.

I don't like routers because they limit the overall speed, the number of maximum simultaneous TCP connections, they add latency, they're unstable sometimes.
    The only routers that I find them suitable for the job are those linux boxes, pfsense boxes, etc.
    The problem with them is that they'll require a pretty good PC in order to maintain throughput.

IMHO, using a software router, when needed(when the secondary PC wants to access the internet), would be the best compromise. It won't cost me anything.
    Now this gets a little beyond my knowledge. I'm not sure whether what you are saying is correct or not. From my experience a proxy server (or software router) does not perform as well as a hardware device. So I'm going to let others deal with that issue.

But you still aren't dealing with all the questions. You aren't explaining what you are doing on your PCs that you need all these simultaneous TCP/IP connections or why the latency is an issue.

Sep 5, 2009, 07:21 AM

Oh, I forgot.

Well, I'm downloading a lot, emule/dc++/utorrent, playing online games, surfing, etc.

LE: Emule+Apexdc+uTorrent use, on average, ~300-400 connections.
    I've just checked in Outpost Firewall.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Your P2P connections are killing your bandwidth. Either you throttle them or turn them off while gaming. There is NO other way around that, bittorrent and p2p are massive bandwidth hogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Specify a network connection for internet access [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 network adapters installed on my computer, and each is plugged into a separate network. I need to use internet access from one network and use file sharing from the another, the both networks have internet access but I don't want to access internet through the adapter which I'm tending to...

Internet connection on a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

I finally got my wireless connected but when I try to go on the internet I get "No page found". I talked to the ISP and they said it was a router problem. There are 3 other devices on the router and there are no problems with them. What do I need to do?

Connecting 2 computers with 1 internet connection. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 computers running on XP home and I have an internet broadband connection, I want to connect both computers to this connection as my first PC is already connected with DSL modem. Also I want to share my hard drives so I can access files on any of them. Please help me to setup this and with...

View more questions Search