Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Expansion Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 12:08 PM

I'm more worried about routers that kill my bandwidth.

Online games are running fine while downloading/uploading heavily.
    Dizzy49 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 11:02 PM

I'm sorry, but I really have to say, ARE YOU KIDDING me??

You want to do what MILLIONS of people are already happily doing, and as I have said multiple times, you are making it MUCH more difficult than it needs to be!

Get a decent router! Found mine on Amazon for $70! Throttle your damn torrents! There is *NO* need for them to be using 300-400 connections! Do some research, there is a nice balance between speed and connections. If you have too many connections you actually bog down your computer and network and LOSE SPEED! I download 3-5 files at a time, and I have my max connections set to 50 per torrent and 250 overall.

Use common sense, you obviously can't be maxing out your connection with torrents and expect latency free online gaming.

As for your information on routers, and some of the other quasi-technical things you've mentioned. I won't say it's wrong per say, but at the least it's grossly outdated. Yes, TEN YEARS AGO, a linux box routing was the way to go. Now, acheap gigabit router is better than a lot of small businesses are using.

I'm done with this thread. Buy a gigabit router, throttle your torrents, and use some common sense. End of story.
    Expansion Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 01:52 AM

What is your problem?
    In my opinion I wrote politely.
    You're taking things too personal.

As I said I don't want to buy a router. And please, but please, don't contradict me when I say that these home-end routers are limiting the number of maximum simultaneous connections and the overall throughput quite a lot. No matter what you say, they do. Test your router and see for yourself: SmallNetBuilder - Small Network Help - How We Test Hardware Routers
    Or you can use NetIO.

Use common sense, you obviously can't be maxing out your connection with torrents and expect latency free online gaming.
    No, I don't expect this, I expect that if I had a router, things would go as fast and as good as they went when there was no router. That's what I expect.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 10, 2009, 12:12 PM

So from what I can gather, you want a software solution to a problem that hardware generally deals better with, because you're unwilling to pay for hardware that will give you the (overkill) performance you want?

If you're worried about bandwidth, get a gigabit router. If you're worried about a connection limit, install openWrt on it. If you're worried about latency, software internet sharing is a terrible idea in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Specify a network connection for internet access [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 network adapters installed on my computer, and each is plugged into a separate network. I need to use internet access from one network and use file sharing from the another, the both networks have internet access but I don't want to access internet through the adapter which I'm tending to...

Internet connection on a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

I finally got my wireless connected but when I try to go on the internet I get "No page found". I talked to the ISP and they said it was a router problem. There are 3 other devices on the router and there are no problems with them. What do I need to do?

Connecting 2 computers with 1 internet connection. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 computers running on XP home and I have an internet broadband connection, I want to connect both computers to this connection as my first PC is already connected with DSL modem. Also I want to share my hard drives so I can access files on any of them. Please help me to setup this and with...

View more questions Search