Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Black dots after I shave
    HI there,

Every time I shave my legs, I have small black dots all over, the root of the hair I assume. But my best friend shaves, and her legs are spotless, where's her roots? WTH? How can I achieve this spotless look?

I'm talking about shaving, please don't recommend waxing or other methods.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:44 AM

Some people have very hard hair follicles and there is residual hair after shaving.
    I would be sure to shave in a nice hot shower,that will loosen the follicle and use good shaving gel and then you may have to do it twice.
    I have very black hair so my hair is thick and rugged and The only way I get a super smooth look is to shave twice.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 11:47 AM

Thank you, I always do shave in a hot shower, and I use the shave gel for sensitive skin. Shaving twice will give me horrendous razor burn because of the sensitive skin. I've tried it once, and it's HORRIBLE.

Thank you for the advice.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Are you sure that your friend shaves?
    Are you not comfortable getting some 'tips' on how she does it?
    Nair does a wonderful job for dark hair roots, but you didn't want other options. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Thank you, I always do shave in a hot shower, and I use the shave gel for sensitive skin. Shaving twice will give me horrendous razor burn because of the sensitive skin. I've tried it once, and it's HORRIBLE.

Thank you for the advice.
    Maybe if you switched your razor you would not get such a razor burn and maybe the gel ,even if for sensitive skin is causing the razor rash.
    I would also try putting aloe vera on after shaving to soothe any burns.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Have you tried the hair deducing lotion.
    You just apply it and it reduces hair growth,I'm not sure if it would completely elimatate the hair growth but it would most likely reduce it and make the after look from shaving more smooth... thats the idea behind the product anyway.. 'johnsons' make one.

They also recommend the some product for under arm stubble.

This product is not a hair removing lotion,just hair reducing.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Are you sure that your friend shaves?
    Are you not comfortable getting some 'tips' on how she does it?
    Nair does a wonderful job for dark hair roots, but you didn't want other options. ;)
    Yes I am sure. She shaves the same way that I do, I've asked. Nair doesn't work for me. It only removes 50% of the hair and it looks and feels as if I had shaved three days ago.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Maybe if you switched your razor you would not get such a razor burn and maybe the gel ,even if for sensitive skin is causing the razor rash.
    I would also try putting aloe vera on after shaving to soothe any burns.
    I use a new razor every time. I have to. I've tried other shaving gels and this is the one that helps to reduce the razor burn. I'm ALLERGIC to aloe, can't use it.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    have you tried the hair deducing lotion.
    you just apply it and it reduces hair growth,im not sure if it would completly elimatate the hair growth but it would most likely reduce it and make the after look from shaving more smooth...thats the idea behind the product anyway..'johnsons' make one.

they also recommend the some product for under arm stubble.

this product is not a hair removing lotion,just hair reducing.
    Yes I have, I believe it to be a gimmick.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Yes I have, I believe it to be a gimmick.

Yeah,sure all products are selling something...

Unless you let the hair grow for a week or so and try one of the double blades that are available for men,whip it out from just below the surface.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    yeah,sure all products are selling something...

unless you let the hair grow for a week or so and try one of the double blades that are available for men,whip it out from just below the surface.
    Those are too harsh for my skin, so is letting my hair grow more than three days.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 01:37 PM
    I use a new razor every time. I have to. I've tried other shaving gels and this is the one that helps to reduce the razor burn. I'm ALLERGIC to aloe, can't use it.
    I meant switch to a different type of razor.
    You must have super sensitive skin if aloe bothers you.I can't use many products all all due to sensitivity.It a real pain.Especially as I am getting older and would love to find a product that gets rid of my drying skin.
    The one thing that worked for me my sister bought and it was super expensive.Out of my league,to be sure.
    I've waxed my legs before and didn't find it uncomfortable at all! It is rather time consuming though.
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 02:03 PM

I've tried every kind of razor, but the bic soleil are the best.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 02:15 PM

I would say try using a hair remover such as Veet with extra moisturizers, But I'm not sure how your skin would react to it. I'd say sample some on a small patch and see how your skin reacts, if it's not bad, and there's no black dots, maybe that could work for you.
    Vision Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 03:21 PM

I've tried hair removers and they don't work since my hair is so dark and so course
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 06:43 PM

LAME. Well, I hope you can find something that works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to shave [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I want to have a smooth face but every time I shave down not every hair comes off. And when I shave against the grain it hurts and I get cut. I don't know what to do. I have been reading to keep shaving with the grain. I have been doing this for a month. But I want to have a completely...

Legs: To shave or not to shave [ 29 Answers ]

Who or what started the trend that women should shave their legs and why?

How can I get rid of the pimples black dots from my face. [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get rid of the pimples black dots from my face. Please give me some ayurvedic tips for this. I am feeling shay while going to college.

How to shave [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I want to have a smooth face but every time I shave down not every hair comes off. And when I shave against the grain it hurts and I get cut. I don't know what to do. I have been reading to keep shaving with the grain. I have been doing this for a month. But I want to have a completely...

View more questions Search