Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharonfrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Dead battery
    Jump started a dead battery,drove down the street car started slowing down battery died again.Could this be the battery or alternator?
    Sharon
    sharonfrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 05:04 PM

Jump started a dead battery,drove down the street car startsed slowing down battery died again.Could this be the battery or the alternator?
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2009, 05:19 PM

Could be either one. How old is the battery? Most auto parts stores will test both for free.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonfrye View Post
    Jump started a dead battery,drove down the street car started slowing down battery died again.Could this be the battery or alternator?
    Sharon
    The alternator.
    But have the battery properly tested to be certain it is still OK.

You charged the battery and that charge took you as far as it would go.
    Without the correct alternator output, your battery could soon become useless.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Aug 28, 2009, 08:55 AM

Your alternator can't charge a dead battery when it's running off a dead battery.

Read this: Alternators: How they work and how to test
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Test the battery first. If it's old (more than 3 years) then you have your answer. But if your battery is relatively new and in good condition then it's most likely your alternator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my car battery dead [ 2 Answers ]

My car just stated dying out then it cut off completely 5mins later. I tried to get a jump but, that did'nt work either.:confused:

Battery goes dead [ 2 Answers ]

My Weed Eater tractor battery does not hold a charge. Must charge it every time I go to mow the lawn. Help Maryelen

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Snapper model 28088E electric start mower. I have replaced the battery and solenoid, but when I try to start the mower after shutting it off the battery is dead. Is there a charging circuit built in to the starter motor? The parts list does not show a voltage reg. or relay.

Is my car battery dead [ 2 Answers ]

My battery light has been on for a day now . Well my car just stopped in the middle of the road now I know the obvious answer would be the battery went dead, but I thought if your car was started already then your car wouldn't cut off do anyone know if this could be the battery or maybe my...

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

View more questions Search