Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mich70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Losing a litter
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am sad its under such heart breaking circumstances. My cat Gypsy gave birth to a beautiful litter of 4. They all seemed so healthy and lively then out of the blue one died. A few days later another one faded away. The vet has put the remaining 2 who are now also fading on antibiotics but he could not clearly say what was wrong. They won't nurse though mum still gets in with them to give them a good old lick and her nipples look so uncomfortable. They are taking some formula but still don't seem to be picking up. Is there any advice anyone out there can give me to help us either help the kittens or cope with this sad situation which for my 3 children has been very hard.

Thanks
    Michelle
    Linda Lee Lutton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mich70
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am sad its under such heart breaking circumstances. My cat Gypsy gave birth to a beautiful litter of 4. They all seemed so healthy and lively then out of the blue one died. A few days later another one faded away. The vet has put the remaining 2 who are now also fading on antibiotics but he could not clearly say what was wrong. They wont nurse though mum still gets in with them to give them a good old lick and her nipples look so uncomfortable. They are taking some formula but still dont seem to be picking up. Is there any advice anyone out there can give me to help us either help the kittens or cope with this sad situation which for my 3 children has been very hard.

thanks
    Michelle
    Here is what I have experienced in the past.

Fading puppy and kitten syndrome: Do you know the signs?

Veterinary Medicine NOVEMBER 2005

The failure to thrive in newborn puppies and kittens, or neonates, is known as fading puppy and kitten syndrome. The syndrome can occur from birth to 9 weeks of age. Affected neonates can decline quickly and die, so immediate detection and treatment are key to survival. Be sure you know what to look for and what to do if you see any warning signs.
    Causes
    The causes of fading puppy and kitten syndrome are divided into three groups: environmental, genetic, and infectious.
    Environmental
    • Hypothermia or hypothermia—Puppies and kittens' body temperatures vary with the environment for the first week of life, thus making them easily susceptible to becoming too cold or too hot. They are able to shiver, which helps keep them warm, when they are about 6 days old, and they develop the ability to pant in response to overheating within the first week.
    Neonates that are too cold are unable to digest food or nurse. Their heart rates decrease and their circulatory and respiratory systems can collapse. These neonates must be seen by a veterinarian immediately because hypothermia can quickly cause death. Hypothermia is less common but can occur in hot climates or with inappropriate supplemental heat. Overheated neonates often cry relentlessly.
    • Maternal factors—Overweight or older dams are more likely to experience neonatal loss.
    • Maternal neglect—Maternal neglect can be exhibited by a dam's reluctance to lie with and warm the neonates, refusal to permit nursing, or lack of sufficient milk production. Large-breed or barrel-bodied dogs may also step on or clumsily crush puppies.
    • Environmental toxins—Neonatal skin is thin, and chemicals can be more readily absorbed through the skin in a neonate than in an adult. Breathing chemical fumes is also a concern. So evaluate the bedding material and products used to clean the whelping or queening box. Avoid pine oils and phenols as well as direct contact with bleach or quaternary ammonium (e.g. Roccal—Pfizer Animal Health; Parvosol—Neogen) residue.1 Use gentle cleaners with little odor, and remove all residue before contact with the neonates.
    Genetic or congenital factors
    • Physical defects—Abnormalities of the mouth, anus, skull, and heart that are present at birth are relatively common. Swimmer (flat) puppies and kittens can be identified by flattened and widened chests. Pectus excavatum is a severe deformity resulting from intrusion of the breastbone into the chest cavity. Neonates with physical abnormalities should be evaluated immediately.
    • Birth weight—Kittens have a normal birth weight of 100 ± 10 g (3.5 ± 0.35 oz). Kittens with a birth weight of less than 90 g (3.2 oz) have poor survival rates.2 The normal puppy birth weight varies with breed. For example, Pomeranian birth weights are about 120 g (4.2 oz), and Great Danes weigh about 625 g (22 oz).
    While pups and kittens may lose a small amount of weight (< 10%) during the first 24 hours of life, after that weight gain should be steady. Pups should gain 5% to 10% of birth weight daily, while kittens should gain 7 to 10 g (0.25 to 0.35 oz) a day. Weigh neonates twice a day, and bring them in for immediate examination if normal daily weight gain does not occur.
    Associated with low weight is transient juvenile hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) syndrome, particularly
    In toy-breed dogs. Failure to maintain frequent feedings can result in low blood sugar. This can occur for several weeks to months in toy breeds and often arises when the pups are transferred to a new home where feeding schedules are not rigidly followed.
    • Neonatal alloimmune hemotytic anemia in cats— Cats have two main blood types, A and B. Some kittens' blood types do not match the queen's blood type. Kittens with type A blood that ingest colostrum while nursing from a queen with type B blood absorb antibodies that destroy their red blood cells, which leads to severe illness or death.
    Infectious agents
    • Bacterial infection—Because of their immature immune systems, puppies and kittens are at risk for infection through the placenta, umbilicus, or gastrointestinal or respiratory tract from contaminated environments. Clinical signs of bacterial infection vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, constant crying, fever, failure to nurse, and sloughing of the ear and tail tips and toes.
    • Viral infection—Many viruses can affect neonates. Canine herpesvirus infection is common in puppies, and signs vary from constant crying to abdominal pain. Canine parvovirus type 1 produces a rapid onset of crying, failure to nurse, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and weakness. In kittens, feline herpesvirus type I and calicivirus are most common.3 Coronavirus infections are also common in ill kittens and can cause diarrhea and feline infectious peritonitis.
    • Intestinal parasites—Because roundworms and hookworms are transmitted through the placenta, most pups are born with these parasites.4 Kittens and pups can acquire roundworms through the dam's milk. Hookworms are transmitted to kittens and puppies through the placenta and mammary glands.4 In addition, some protozoan parasites cause diarrhea in the young. While rarely fatal, they can contribute to illness and put a neonate at higher risk of additional infection.
    Things to look out for
    To catch any struggling neonate early, always observe all the neonates' behavior and be on the lookout for key benchmarks. Normal puppy and kitten neonates sleep and nurse. They spend most of their time in a group and cry only briefly.5 Neonates that lie away from the group, cry constantly, are restless, or fail to nurse should be examined at once. By the age of 5 or 6 weeks, sleeping alone can be normal.6 The amount of activity increases dramatically after the second week of life.
    The eyelids separate between 5 and 14 days. Ear canals
    Open at 6 to 14 days. Other benchmarks include crawling at 7 to 14 days, forelimb support at 10 days, and locomotion at 3 weeks of age.6 Teeth appear at about 6 weeks of age, although this can be delayed in toy breeds. These benchmarks are guidelines only and can vary dramatically among breeds and family lines.
    What your veterinarian will do
    If you see anything of concern, call your veterinarian immediately and schedule an appointment. Your veterinarian may instruct you to bring in the dam and the entire litter for examination. Be sure to bring records of weight gain since birth and any other data you have collected.
    Your veterinarian will want to know about the dam's exposure to other dogs or cats during the last third of pregnancy as well as the travel history of housemates. He or she will also ask about the location, temperature, and exposure of the whelping and queening box to other animals. If you have purebred cats, inform your veterinarian of the blood types of the torn and queen, if known. Your veterinarian will also ask about the dam's ease of delivery, appetite, diet, vaccinations, mothering skills, and medications. Family history of neonatal survival can be useful, as can pedigree analysis.
    Timely veterinary attention provides the best chances for saving these neonates' lives. Because the exact causes of fading puppy and kitten syndrome are often not immediately apparent, your veterinarian will initially focus on supportive care and diagnostic evaluation. Initial therapy may include providing supplemental warmth, fluids, glucose, nutrition, and sometimes a blood transfusion and oxygen. Medications such as antibiotics or parasiticides may also be needed. Swimmer neonates often respond to physical therapy, and some of the other congenital defects may be corrected with surgery. Intensive treatment of ill neonates is time-consuming yet extremely rewarding.
    Mich70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Thanks Linda for your post. We lost the last one of the litter an hour ago. It has been terrible to go from having 4 beautiful healthy kittens 5 days ago to none. But my question is how do mum cats cope with this? She seems more distressed now that the last one has gone and has been wandering around looking lost. The last kitten is still in the nesting box and she has been licking its dead body as she did till the end. When is the best time to take it away?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Litter Boxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm the owner of a five-month old Daschund/Pomeranian mix. I have a few questions regarding issues we've had with his training so far. I've gotten so many opinions from so many people that now I'm doubting how good of a job I've done with him. My first issue is potty training. We...

Cat litter and cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi just want o no what type of litter do you use for your can't and how do you clean if after its dirty, like do you put in the garden or the bin?

Runts of the Litter [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am interested in getting a puppy (American Pit Bull Terrier)... Here is a little background... The current breeder who owns the puppy said that it was the runt of the litter, but it is healthy.. The puppy is about 12 weeks old and around 20 lbs. THe parents are 125 lbs (Sire) and 80 lbs...

Cat Litter Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Our cat is almost 14 years old and has always been an inside/outside cat. We recently moved to a house where he cannot be outside due to the community covenants. He does not even seem to want to go outside so we thought he was okay with the change. However, in the last month, about three...

Help! My cat just had her first litter of kittens... [ 1 Answers ]

My charteux is about 3 or 4, and she had her first litter of 5 kittens in the early am Tuesday.1 kitten died. But the other 4 are fine. Was wondering if the kitten escapes there spot where she has them is it OK to pick them up and put them back where they were? And also how do I know if they are...

View more questions Search