Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hairspraymom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Sewer system
    Help. I had a inspection and I was told I needed a trap under my slop sink. I have no clue what the gentleman was talking about. I would appreciate any help. Thanks:confused:
    OK! Here's a slop sink, (see image) the trap is that black curvy thingy under the sink. A traps, (see image) function is to provide a water seal so sewer gas doesn't enter your home. You will also need to vent the trap either through a AAV, (see image) or a pipe through the roof. This is not a week end project for a homeowner. Get three estimates and go with the one you're most comfortable with. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 02:00 PM

Tom, can you reassemble this post, it looks like hairspray asks and answers her own question. Going to confuse us old guys.
    Dunno what happened Bob but it's fixed. Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 06:22 PM

Yes you need a trap and a vent(every fixture must have a trap, and every trap must be vented) If you don't know what the inspector is talking about, just hire a plumber to fix your problem and bring you up to code. Good luck and please let us know how things work out. Lee.

Aug 28, 2009, 03:07 AM

Thanks guys. My sink is 2sided and I still have no clue. I don't have the money for a plumber I thought I could pay someone a little something I did'nt realize it would be so much work. Oh well I'll let you know what happens.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 03:22 AM

You could hire a handyman to install the trap and Double bowl drain assembly. The materials will cost him under $10.00 (PVC or ABS at Home Depot) and he should be done in 1/2 hour.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2009, 04:25 AM
    My sink is 2sided and I still have no clue
    Please explain. Are you saying your slop sink has two tubs? You have no clue about what? Talk to me Mom.
    What's bothering you? Tom

Aug 28, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Ok I'll try. My sink is a double sink and my washing machine hose hangs over the one and the water goes into the sink. I have had it like that for years now all of a sudden they want some type of trap under the sink maybe I can find someone to just come in and look at it I just don't want to be stupid and they take me over
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 05:35 AM

Can you take a picture of the under-sink drains and post it for us ? It would be very helpful.

You should Always have trap installed...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Mom,
    Like Milo sez. Look under your sink. Got one of these curvy thingys ,(see image)m under there? If not tell us where that drain pipe goes. Let's hear back from you, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 06:24 AM

Could I ask a question here?

Inspection by whom?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 04:20 PM

This may be a simple handyman fix. A pic would help immensly here. Depends on if there is a vent. Adding a trap with no vent will not pass inspection. But if you don't have a vent, and your area allows aav vents, then this should still be a simple handyman fix, very low cost. Let us know. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell from aeriation system [ 2 Answers ]

We have a septic tank with an aeriation system. We have a horrible sewer odor coming from the aeriation system. We have had the septic pumped, had filters checked, motor checked, and had system serviced to ensure it was working properly. We keep the chlorine tabs in as we should and still cannot...

Sewer system repair questions [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time homeowner and recently bought an older home, built in 1965 in Alabama. The house sits at the top of a hill. Several months after moving in, I noticed that black water seemed to come up out of the ground in and around the actual water meter. We hosed it down into the sewer, but...

Overhead sewer system [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for information on an overhead system. I just bought a home and discovered during the rain that water comes up through the floor drains. Do you think an overhead sewer system would fix the problem? Also after the rain stopped (10 days worth) I find that every time a large load of...

Overhead Sewer System; homeowner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ho! My son bought a house with an overhead sewer system. It looks like the basment back-discharge toilet was added in recent history. There is also a utility sink with its own motorized pump connected to the sewer drain discharge pipe (on its way to the street). The main sewer system...

View more questions Search