Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afeiyza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Time Value of Money
    Question:
    Value of a retirement annuity: An insurance agents is trying to sell you an immediate-retirement annuity,which for a single amount paid today will provide you with $12,000 at the end of each year for the next 25 years. You currently earn 9% on low-risk investment comparable to the retirement annuity. Ignoring taxes,what is the most you would pay for this annuity?

My Answer:
    I=interest, n=year
    A=FVAn/FVIFAi,n
    =$12,000/(FVIFA9%,25)
    =$12,000/84.699
    =$141.68

Is it correct?
    Please help me!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
    No, sorry. The problem is asking for the present value of an annuity. You need to make two adjustments...

(1) Use the table for present value, not future value, of an annuity;

(2) You'll multiply, not divide, the annual payment amount by the table factor.

Give that a try and see what you get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Time Value of Money [ 1 Answers ]

The U.S. Treasury offers to sell you a bond for $613.81. No payments will be made until the bond matures 10 years from now, at which time it will be redeemed for $1,000. What interest rate would you earn if you bought this bond at the offer price?

Time Value of Money [ 3 Answers ]

How do I work this problem? Any help would be appreciated! Henson Company wishes to accumulate $500,000 by May 1, 2012 by making 8 equal annual deposits beginning May 1, 2004 to fund paying 8% interest compounded annually. What is the required amount of each deposit? a) $87,008 b) $47,007...

Time value of money [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with these two questions... How much must be deposited at the beginning of each year in order to accumulate $10,000 in four years if interest is at 9%? Patented processes that will result in cash receipts of $2,500 at the end of each of the next four years and a ballon receipt...

View more questions Search