Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zambulal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 10:16 PM
    Toilet Flange Too High
    Hi

I as in the process of installing a toilet in the basement. We got a contractor, through a recommndation, who was really a handyman and did not know anything about plumbing. He installed the toilet flange in the 3" sewer pipe that runs under the basement concrete floor. I told him so many times that the flage (glued into pipe) seems to high from the concrete level. He told me that at time of tiling, it would e taken care off and the bottom of the flage metal ring would be flush with the tile. However, when he did that, the bottom of the flange metal ring was about 5/8" from thje tile surface. It is very difficult to cut the tile and lower the flange, since we are talking about cutting tile and the concrete in the floor.

I have another friend who, is a contractor. He suggested that we cut the tile where the rim of toilet is and pack it with white cement. We should raise this to the level of the bottom of the metal ring. However, while I was looking for something in my garage, I found a piece of PVC sheet (about 1/2 " thick), that can cut (to toilet shape) and nail it to the botton on the concrete floor (over the tile). We cut that to the shepe of the toilet. However, there still is about 1/4" gap after putting the 1/2" PVC sheet. I thought of putting another piece of 1/2" PVC (I don't have a 1/4" piece). Taht means I have to stick the two 1/2" pices together and then sit the toilet over them.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    john77450 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 06:32 AM
    I was able to cut out my toilet flange and put a new one in at the proper height. I tried the reaming tool that was suggested above, but the size that someone recommended I buy was not the correct size. I cut mine out using a reciprocating saw--if you do this, go slow and be very careful not cut the drain line. You could probably also use a hand saw. I cut off the top of the flange and then made a vertical cut along the side wall of the flange. Once I cut through the side wall of the flange I carefully used a chisel to separate the flange from the drain pipe. I put a rag down into the drain pipe to prevent pieces of the flange from breaking away and dropping into the pipe.

Two other options were suggested to me. First, you can buy a prefabricated piece that sits under your toilet and raises the level of the toilet. Try an Internet search for toilet riser to see these. You probably then have to buy some kind of part to extend your flange higher, as I recall the risers will lift the toilet at least a couple of inches. Second, someone had suggested cutting a piece of plywould to fit the base of your toilet. Then I guess you would have to caulk or paint the edge of the plywood for appearance sake. I opted not to go the plywood route because I didn't like the idea of wood under a toilet--i.e. potential rot--though in theory it should remain dry.

Aug 27, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Hi

Thank you very much for the various options. I might settle with the third one, since I don't want to risk with dmaaging the flange. The toilet is in the basement and sits on ceramic tile over concrerate floor. So if the flage gets damaged, I might have to remove other tiles and replace the drain pipe and might get messy.

I think, I will settle with option #3, however I have a white 1/2 vinyl plate. It comes of the material that is used for making fasia (the underside of the overhang on the roof (eaves) of the outside of the house). We plan to fix it to the floor (tile and concrete) with 2-1/4" flat head masonary screws. I hope that will do the job, and as it is used for external use :)

I did do some rough fitting and toilet seems stable on it. There is a small gap between the flage metal ring and PVC plate (1/4", I think)) after putting the 1/2" plate, but I think that should be OK, as long as toilet sits on the plate and wax provides some flexibility.

Thank you again.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 06:30 AM
    Toilet Flange Too High

Zambulal: I would try to dry set the toilet before I would start cutting the flange. The toilet itself may absorb the 5/8". Give it a try, it may fit...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Zumbulal,
    You piggybacked on a 5 year old thread so I made a thread just for you. Have you checked the closet bolts to see if they'll be long enough after you raise the bowl?
    John had the right idea,
    I was able to cut out my toilet flange and put a new one in at the proper height. I tried the reaming tool that was suggested above, but the size that someone recommended I buy was not the correct size. I cut mine out using a reciprocating saw--if you do this, go slow and be very careful not cut the drain line. You could probably also use a hand saw. I cut off the top of the flange and then made a vertical cut along the side wall of the flange. Once I cut through the side wall of the flange I carefully used a chisel to separate the flange from the drain pipe. I put a rag down into the drain pipe to prevent pieces of the flange from breaking away and dropping into the pipe
    This would be the correct to address this problem. Good luck, tom

Apr 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Two later later, I will update on what I ended up doing with this screwup in the basement. The bathroom was tiled on the cement floor with the flaged sticking out about 5/8". The bathoom was about 7x7 with mid-range HD tiles. So we "tiled-over" the existing tile and levelled it with the flang. The new contractor was very good and he leveled it off very nicely with the tile in the main basment floor. Thanks to all for all the brain stroming.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 07:48 PM

Glad you figured it out on your own. Even though I still think it would be cheaper, faster, and cleaner to cut of the 5/8" of the pipe.

Good luck ! Swing by next time if you need advice in the future. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange too high, how do I fix? [ 11 Answers ]

I just got done remodeling my bathroom, and retiled the floor. Unfortunately the floor is lower now and the toilet flange is about 1" above the floor. i understand you want the flange about 1/4" above the floor. What do I need to do to fix this? The pipe is cast iron and the flange is abs plastic....

Toilet Flange Too High [ 7 Answers ]

I'm remodeling my bathroom and I tore up the existing floor which had about 4 layers of laminate. Now, I am at the concrete floor slab and the toilet flange is about 3/4" to 1" above the slab. I was just going to tile around the toilet but the toilet rocks because the flange is too high. The...

Toilet flange 2 high [ 11 Answers ]

My toilet flange sits on top of the marble floor and they used mortar to level it out 25 years ago. Went to replace toilet and just found out this lovely surprise its pvc glued in concrete can I just shim it out or even lay tile under the toilet for support will this work thanks for any help

High toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new tile floor. The toilet flange is to high and the toilet sits about a 1/2 inch off the floor. What can I do to install the toilet?

View more questions Search