Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katherineholmes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Cd/dvd drive
    My cd drive will not recognize a blank cd or dvd what can I do
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Aug 27, 2009, 12:06 AM

It's difficult to produce a useful reply with so little information.

Computer operating system including version and/or service pack information?

Does the drive show in your file management application?

Does dive recognize commercially produced media like movies and music CDs? Note that CDs and DVDs use separate lasers within the drive. Failure of one of those lasers might allow the drive to use one type of media while completely ignoring the other.

Using rewritable disks (RW designation) or write once media? If write once media, is it designated "-R" or "+R"? Does the system or drive documentation indicate compatibility with both types or only one of the two?

Was the drive included with the computer? If it wasn't, did any software installation media come with it?

Install, uninstall or update any software recently? Any recent operating system updates? Have you scanned for malicious software like viruses?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win 2003: Permanent drive letter 4 removable drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have set up a backup system on Windows 2003 Server using 2 hot-swap removable drive drawers with hard drives in them. I have a pair of backup drives for each day of the week, with one drive imaging the OS partition and the other drive imaging the data partition. The system is working beautifully...

Default installations back to C: Drive after using server Drive. [ 1 Answers ]

My computer was set up in an office with a server and all installations of hardware must have been set to install automatically to the server. My computer is no longer on a server and I am trying to install a new printer. In the middle of the install I get a fatal error saying that the H: drive...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Drive not ready. Insert boot disk into drive A: [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently trying to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp. I have upgraded the RAM to 256. When I reboot I get "Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:". I have gone into the BIOS and have changed the boot sequence to boot first from the hard drive then the cd rom. It still...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search