Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Roofer punctured my AC line
    Sort of a different question here.

The Copper tubing to the upstairs air handler runs on the outsite of the house, into the sofit and the takes a 90 degree bend to the air handler in the upstairs attic.

While my new roof was installed, two roofing nails near the edge of the roof punctured the line right on that 90 degree bend in a spot that is virtually impossible to weld. I know this because I was in the attic with the tech, and the type of nails this roofer used are the nails that poked the holes.

I will be honest and say the running the copper tube was so close to the roof sheathing probably wasn't a great idea. As the homeowner, I had no idea the tube was so close to the sheathing either. I can understand how the mistake was made. That said:

I am sure when the first nail when through, the roofers had to have hear the pressurized air escaping. I am a little annoyed they didn't at least say, "Gee, we poked a hole in the pipe... sorry... enjoy your roof.

How much of an issue should I make with this roofer. A new homerun from condenser to air handler is about 40 yard, and estimated at 25% the cost of full system replacement. The current system is 11 years old.

I guess I am asked what I could logically expect the roofer to do for me?

Thanks... I appreciate input.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 07:19 PM

If you can prove that holes were caused by the roofer, then I would hope they would pay for repairs. Look at it this way. If the roofer droped his nail gun off the roof and it landed on your car, breaking the windshield, wouldn't you expect them to buy you a new windshield?

These unavoidable mistakes happen, but a good contractor will make it right. Keep in mind, you will not have to replace the complete lineset, just repair or replace the damaged section. This will need to be done by a pro, as there are many aspects of a cooling system. They will need to fix leaks, purge system, vacuum system, charge system etc, etc. Please let us know how you make out. Lee.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 27, 2009, 05:40 AM

There is no reason to replace the entire run, just replace that small section, and maybe route or protect it from this in the future.

Have the HVAC tech remove the damaged section carefully so you can document the damage. Roofers are not known for their stealthy quiet, so there is a chance they don't know. Consider this the first test of how your roofer will respond to issues.
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 07:23 AM

The tech told me in New York, you can't have connections anymore. It has to be 1 straight tube, no breaks.

Even if he wanted to patch, he says the law doesn't let him.

I also got whacked for 5 pounds of Freon at $30 per pound. Some bird somewhere is probably feeling pretty cool now.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 31, 2009, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandluke31 View Post
    The tech told me in New York, you can't have connections anymore. It has to be 1 straight tube, no breaks.

Even if he wanted to patch, he says the law doesn't let him.
    I'm in New York and never heard of that one, unless there is something your local code office supersedes I'd look into that, and file a complaint with BBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandluke31 View Post
    I also got whacked for 5 pounds of Freon at $30 per pound. Some bird somewhere is probably feeling pretty cool now.
    Yes, that is legit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag punctured hole in tubing [ 1 Answers ]

While defrosting my maytag upright freezer, I made a hole with a chisel in a few area of the tubing that I believe is the coils that makes the shelves cold.(these tubings are located on the underside of each shelf). Now my freezer doesn't get cold at all. Is this a repairable problem?

Punctured Freon Line in Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Can A punctured Freon line in a refrigerator be repaired?

Returning to work after a punctured lung [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently seen in the emergency room for coughing up blood. I was admitted to the hospital and was told that I needed a broncoscapy to see where the bleeding was coming from and to see if my sarcoid was getting worse. During the procedure my lung was punctured and collapsed but I didn't find...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

Punctured freon line repair [ 3 Answers ]

I was defrosting the mini freezer behind my bar and puntured the freon line on the aluminum ice cube tray shelf. Is there any way to repair this, or do I have to discard the freezer

View more questions Search