Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    livelife143 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 05:22 PM
    How postpartum depression diagnosed?
    Hi

How one can rule out if a mother of 8 month old baby is not suffering from postpartum depression and How does and what are the criteria under which a physician diagnose post partum depression?

Thank you
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Aug 26, 2009, 11:25 PM
    Although Postpartum Depression is commonly dismissed as a normal or natural consequence of childbirth, Physician's are being advised to screen of all mothers during the postpartum period, which is one year after child birth. Some women also seem to be at higher risk and whow symptoms during pregnancy so Physician's identify those women and begin evaluation. The test of choice is the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scales.

You can get a copy of the test by clicking here. The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scales is a 10-item self-rated questionnaire used extensively for detection of postpartum depression. A score of 12 or more on EPDS or an affirmative answer on question 10 (presence of suicidal thoughts) requires more thorough evaluation. The EPDS may be included in routine well-baby and pediatric visits.

Hope this answers your question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting divorced and was diagnosed for postpartum depression ? Will this diagnosis [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Iam getting divorced and mother of 8 mon old baby girl. After delivery I was diagnosed with postpartum depression will this have any effect on child custody of my daughter or weaken my case as far as child custody is concerned Thanks

Postpartum Depression? [ 3 Answers ]

If a woman has postpartum depression, and refuses to receive treatment or even talk to someone about it, does that in itself necessarily increase her propensity for abuse or neglect towards her own child? Could the fact that she abuses prescription medications, alcohol and the fact that she was...

Postpartum depression? [ 8 Answers ]

I had a baby boy in April. He is beautiful and an angel baby. I have a wonderful husband who supports me in every way, and a loving family. I don't understand why I am feeling so depressed. It seems to have gotten worse this month... during the midmornings I will feel like crying for no real...

Postpartum [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I had a baby 6 weeks ago. I got on the birth control patch 3 weeks ago and started bleeding 1 1/2 weeks into it, so I switched to the nuva ring. (Ihad samples of both from my doctor) and I have had it in for about a week and a half also and started bleeding again today. Is this normal? Is it a...

View more questions Search